Newly Engaged...to BiggerPockets. Hello from Phoenix / Scottsdale Arizona!

Newly Engaged...to BiggerPockets. Hello from Phoenix / Scottsdale Arizona!

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes

Hello! I started with Rich Dad Education seminars, but am so excited to have found this podcast and now website where people just want to help and not try to take advantage of others (in my opinion). Where can I go in Phoenix / Scottsdale to start learning about investing (Arizona Real Estate Investors Association??)? To be honest, I'm quite overwhelmed, but hope getting education will help. Thank you for any information!

5Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
12y

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Kelly L., glad you found the site! Thanks for introducing yourself as well. It's great that you see the value the site/podcast has to offer. Real estate education shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. I've spent definitely less than $1,000 on books and programs since I started a few years ago and things are going well. Most of the information I needed, I got here on the site for free!

Hope to see you more around here!

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome, Kelly. Another scottsdale local here! The podcasts are a great start. Spend plenty of time asking questions and engaging in the forums. Also, set up keyword alerts attached to your profile so that you're notified when a topic of interest comes up (That's how I found this thread! "scottsdale" is one of my keyword alerts)

    It can be overwhelming at first but just identify your niche of interest and start soaking up the information. It'll all click in no time.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Kelly L. welcome to the site.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Hey thanks gentleman!

  • Real Estate Investor · Goodyear, AZ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    HI @Kelly L.

    Welcome! I'm in the West Valley. I encourage you to check out AZREIA's (Arizona Real Estate Investors Association) website. They have monthly meetings...I plan on attending the July's meeting. Perhaps I'll see you there! :)

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Kelly L., glad you found the site! Thanks for introducing yourself as well. It's great that you see the value the site/podcast has to offer. Real estate education shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. I've spent definitely less than $1,000 on books and programs since I started a few years ago and things are going well. Most of the information I needed, I got here on the site for free!

    Hope to see you more around here!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Renee Watkins! I definitely will look into that.

    Thanks @Mehran Kamari! I'm glad you agree that an education shouldn't cost your first born :) Looking forward to diving in!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    @Kelly L.

    First things first, welcome to the community! You'll find everything you're looking for on here!

    Second, what type of real estate investments are you looking to further educate yourself on?

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Hello Derek...thanks!

    I haven't read/learned enough to have found my niche. I have a degree in Interior Design, so flipping intrigues me. Going through the Rich Dad seminar made me want to get into wholesaling as they made it sound so simple to do with a full-time job, but listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts...it sounds like it takes a lot more effort and would be difficult with a job. (same with flipping)

    So...hoping I can meet people who started off with having a job and learn from them.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    @Kelly L.

    Interior design you say, there is certainly some great value to be found with that experience. Have you thought about perhaps offering a staging service on the side? That may help use your skills to get your foot in the door with a magnitude of different real estate deals. Which means, the people who may hire you to stage may be an excellent source into wholesaling, rentals, or flips.

  • Investor · Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 631 posts · 186 votes
    12y

    @Kelly L. Welcome to the site Kelly. Check out the books from J Scott. They are great to get your bearings and it might get you started. Your degree is great in this business. Go to the REI meetings and introduce yourself. You might have people who could use your talents. Most of all, Have Fun! Tom

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks Derek...I've had previous thoughts of staging model homes after I graduated, but never thought about real estate until now. Great idea!

    Hi Tom! Thanks for the encouragement and great advice! BP is turning out to be awesome!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Kelly L. It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Kelly L. Welcome! Definitely start jumping into the community here (and also make some advantage lol)! Be sure to read through The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing to help you get started.

    Also-be sure to setup some keyword alerts - especially for "Phoenix" so you can jump into local conversations.

    See you around the forums!

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Kelly L. welcome to biggerpockets

    Only focus on one or two topics

    then expand to other real estate strategies.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks Dimitriy, Brandon, and Jenkins! The support is awesome on here...now to find time to read, ha!

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Kelly,

    There is a wealth of knowledge on this website and it is the best place to meet like - minded people and get started out with your new investing career! Ask questions - you will get answers. Good luck!

  • Mesa, AZ · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Kelly,

    This is an amazing website and community. Welcome to BP from another newbie of Phoenix.

    Anna

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks Anna! Welcome to you too :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Welcome Kelly L. this is a great networking and learning site tons of great benefits.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP Nation @Kelly L. !

    Feeling overwhelmed is a sign of moving too fast and needing to slow down.  The world of real estate is very large and bound to overwhelm...

    Try to find a quite moment and jot down the one most important goal in life that you want to accomplish with RE. Depending on the thrust of this goal, you will arrive at the most probable strategy within REI. In turn the strategy will eventually lead you to specific techniques. But all of it is teed up with what you want and WHY...

    Good luck and stay active - we'll help!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Kelly, and welcome to BP! I'm a 'fix and hold' investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you'll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks all! Really great advice...I appreciate you all taking the time to comment!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Nice to meet you, Kelly! I just joined BP, as well, and look forward to learning all the avenues available to us on here.

    I am also in the Phoenix area!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Hi Amanda! The support is awesome on here! I plan on going to the AZREIA meetings to get face-to-face interaction. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.