San Diego (and Los Angeles) newbie

San Diego (and Los Angeles) newbie

San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone, (following the outline of the how to introduce sticky)

My name is Eric Tu, and I grew up around a stay at home mom that worked her butt off running a motel with my dad and eventually ended up in coin operated commercial real estate and equipment sales. I have lived the process of homes, large scale condos, and commercial properties built from scratch, but have not participated in anything but the purchase of my family's own starter home a few years ago.

I'm originally from Illinois, but lived most of my life in Los Angeles and San Diego.

Currently, I am a stay-at-home dad which recently graduated from law school and passed the CA bar.

My goal here is to learn how to use my resources, personal (plenty) and financial (not so much), to create an empire!

I literally typed in: "what else can I do with my law degree" and from one click to another, I somehow ended up here...

Honestly, I have always had real estate on the brain, it was going to be my chosen family investment profession regardless of my wife and I's professions, but seeing as I am at home with my kid for now, why waste time waiting to invest when I could just start now?

Long-term, I really want to get to know people that are in this field because I think this type of pursuit is followed by like-minded and entrepreneurial spirits. How many opportunities do you get to network and branch out of your own social shell once you are out of school? Not many. This is my first step toward a whole new lifestyle, and like the free BP beginner's guide mentions, I'm here to be 100% committed to that pursuit.

3Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

Welcome Eric. There are a lot of super helpful people and great advice on this site! I'm a 'fix and hold' investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! A lot of others doing flips, wholesaling, notes, everything. A few tips.


You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and most importantly, the BP members! Welcome to BP, and good luck on your investments!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets Eric! This is a great place to learn about investing in real estate. So are you thinking of becoming a real estate attorney also? What are your goals Flip and Fix or Buy and Hold?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Hey Jerry, thank you for the welcome. I would not mind getting my feet wet in personal real estate investments so I could be an effective real estate attorney, but I would like to try and learn to be successful at both Flip and Fix and Buy and Hold.

    Do people tend to specialize in one type of transaction or another? I see myself as willing to get down and dirty with a sledgehammer just as much as with a pen and paper in the office.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Eric. There are a lot of super helpful people and great advice on this site! I'm a 'fix and hold' investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! A lot of others doing flips, wholesaling, notes, everything. A few tips.


    You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and most importantly, the BP members! Welcome to BP, and good luck on your investments!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    All these night owls on BP! Thanks for the welcome @J. Martin and the tips. I was just wondering how to tag people and boom, there was the answer.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric Tu welcome to the site.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric Tu

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation and legacy below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome @Ramon Jenkins , @Paul Timmins .

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Eric Tu welcome to BP! Thanks for checking the Beginner's Guide. You definitely should start jumping right in the forums too. See you around!

  • SFR Investor · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Eric Tu

    @Eric TuWelcome Counselor!

    Congrats on passing the bar & becoming Mr. mom! Make the best of it, that kid only grows up once & you have the opportunity of not missing anything while they grow up. A desire that some of us W-2 earners would like to have when we get to full-time investing. The only way to find out the different facets of being an REI is to network either here on BP or the different investor clubs in your area. Since you're in San Diego, check out www.sdcia.com also, www.markjkohler.com who also does a podcast but more on RE & tax laws for investing. (Disclaimer: other available free resources offered but individuals should undertake their own due diligence).

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Lol, I love the story of how you got here. Sounds like it was meant to be! Welcome to BP. I'm up in LA (Venice Beach).

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric Tu ,

    I'll probably have a meet up down in the San Diego area sometime while I'm down there this summer. I'll be in touch! Happy to help!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome @Brandon Turner , @John Malahay , and @Ali Boone!

    John, I am already trying to get some knowledge from the investor club down here, it'll be my first event of this kind this Thursday with FIBI / San Diego Investment Club. I am frequently in LA, let me know if you'd like to grab a coffee or lunch sometime!

    Ali, I'm from Redondo Beach! Dream is eventually to pick up properties in the LA area and have that be my home base. My parents are getting older and I would like to be near them to take care of them (which basically means fixing their computers and internet issues).

    @J. Martin , I'd be happy to meet with you, don't forget me when you come down, I'd love to get a beer before/afterwards if you are into that!

    @Paul Timmins

    For everyone and anyone that sees this, what are these meetups like? Should I be wearing a full suit or is that overkill? Any other tips for preparation? I've read that the skills lawyers bring to the table, especially with a completed degree and certification, generally show they have good talents for the biz, so should I be putting that out there?

    Frankly, I would love to meet a mentor, and I feel like I have what it takes to be an effective asset but talk is cheap right? Being so new, how can I show that I want to be worth someone's time?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.