New to BP from West Boylston, MA | Central Mass

New to BP from West Boylston, MA | Central Mass

Real Estate Agent · West Boylston, MA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 13 votes

Hello all,

My name is Beverly Rogers.  I have worked in commercial property management since 2006 starting in Florida, where I'm from originally, and in Massachusetts since 2008 in the Boston area primarily.  I moved out to Central Mass a couple years ago while still commuting to Boston so I'm still not intimately familiar with this area.  My real estate experience is in managing Class A & B properties: high-rise laboratory, research parks, industrial parks, mid-rise office parks, office and industrial condominiums, and a corporate campus. A couple properties had underground and above ground parking structures.  Several were new construction.  My employers were always larger firms with highly specialized roles, so I wish I had better exposure to leasing, acquisition, and disposition transactions - I have some exposure but not the nitty gritty good stuff.  

There has been an entrepreneurial itch that I would never let myself scratch until this year when I started to put together a property management business.  The target market is mid-sized commercial and residential condominiums, commercial properties, and mixed-use properties in Central Mass.

I am a licensed Real Estate Salesperson in MA looking for a Managing Broker to gain experience in real estate transactions - preferably commercial, but deeper transaction experience of any kind would be sincerely appreciated.  I want to eventually obtain a broker's license. I am also looking for a mentor in running a property management business.  SCORE and the National Association of Professional Women were dead ends. 

My boyfriend and I decided we wanted to start investing in mixed use real estate and I picked up a BiggerPockets book.  We think we are set up pretty well to succeed - his family has a background in residential real estate, my family has a background in constructing residential real estate + my management experience.  But we have put investing on the backburner until we can figure out a few more things. I'm hoping to take the opportunity to gain experience in transactions and analyzing comps.  My endgame is still to buy and hold real estate, but my present goal is to grow this property management business.

Thanks!

Beverly

0Reply
9 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    12y

    @Beverly Meola welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of value to add to this community. I'm also from MA (Boston), so it's nice to see another local-ish member join our community.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    Hi Beverly, welcome to BP.

    This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.  Sounds like you have a very good background coming in so you are at a nice advantage over a lot of people just getting into the business.

    This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

    Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have.  If you want to get into growing your business and doing deals in Central MA you should get out to the Black Diamond meeting in Worcester (next Tuesday).  That is the biggest general real estate event in the area.  Since you are used to coming into Boston there are more things east of you.  Black Diamond has another meeting in Waltham (The following Tuesday) which I always attend and is excellent.  There are many more north and south of the city as well.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Beverly Meola  thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "West Boylston" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Real Estate Agent · West Boylston, MA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Thank you @Beau Blinder , @Shaun Reilly , and @Brandon Turner  for the welcome and the tips!

  • Real Estate Investor · Framingham, MA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Beverly Meola Welcome to BP! My company is based in the Framingham area. We have 2 multis at this point, however we are looking to aquire larger buildings down the road and would want to explore brining on a property mgt company. Would be great if you want to stay in touch, you can be added to our vendor list here: http://fitzproperty.com/workwithus/

    Hope to meet you at an upcoming Black Diamond event!

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome, Beverly, 

    The wonderful thing about BP, besides the connections, is that any time you have a few extra minutes you can read about a new topic that you are researching.  The depth of information here is wonderful.  

    For keywords, I think that you might consider Worcester, MA, Massachusetts, and possibly Boston.  That's how most of us found this thread.

    I also see that you joined our "meetup" so hope to see you next Tuesday, please come and find me and introduce yourself.

  • Real Estate Agent · West Boylston, MA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Mike Fitzpatrick , I added my information.

    @Ann Bellamy keyword alerts already set up!  I will definitely look for you on Tuesday.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.