New Investor in the Richmond VA area

New Investor in the Richmond VA area

Real Estate Investor · Chesterfield, VA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello Im Jason I live in Chesterfield VA near Richmond. I have been reading books on real estate investing for years and finally taking some action! I will be a fix and flipper and or wholesaler to build my buy and hold business in the future. I have little experience and am looking for any sucsessful investor that is in the area that would be willing to mentor me. I am willing to work hard to return the favor I have HVAC and electrcial experience. Thanks and look forward to being part of the BP community.

0Reply
24 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 293 posts · 96 votes
    12y
    Hey Jason! Welcome to the site. There's a world of knowledge and a ton of great people around here. Richmond's a great market for investing. I'd be glad to meet up and talk sometime. I'd like to discuss your HVAC background. I get requests on a regular basis looking for referrals for work. I'll send you a colleague request with my cell # so we can catch up and schedule a time to chat.
  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Jason to Bigger Pockets! 

    I wish you the best! 

    This is a great site and there is so much to learn! 

    I look forward to reading about your future success! 

    I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have. 

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Big welcome to the site @Jason Tees, thanks for your introduction. I like that you're willing to put work in to learn from an experienced investor. Have you tried going to a local REIA meeting? It's a great way to meet the local investor crowd. You can also try setting up Keyword Alerts for things like "Richmond".

    See you around the site!

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Jason Tees welcome to the site! It's great to have you and yes you can definitely use keyword alerts to find people here. My advice is to interact in the forums to find those great people. 

    If you like, you can check this quick guide to learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard, Jason. I know that having a good HVAC and electrical tech would be valuable to me in my area, so I think you will be able to connect with local investors with your value add.  Of course info and experience is free here at BP.   We're glad you've joined us. 

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Jason Tees thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    Also - be sure to check out House Flipping: The Best of BiggerPockets. There is a ton of flipping resources there.

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Chesterfield" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Hey Jason, glad to hear you decided to make the leap and to start taking action! I think a great way to find a mentor is to start networking. If you aren't already a member, The Richmond REIA Meetup Group, Richmond RING, and THINK Meetup Group are all good places to start networking, as well as Bigger Pockets of course.

    Some advice on finding a mentor: know what you bring to the table. You want to be able to clearly convey what value you can provide THEM and their business. If you're fortunate enough to find someone who's willing to divert time from their business and to help build yours (and essentially train their future competition), it has to be worth their while. Your electrical and HVAC experience could be a great resource for an investor, but also be willing to keep an open mind on how you can provide value.

    Certainly not claiming to be an expert, this is just based on my own advice on having worked with both good and not-so-good mentors in our local market here in Virginia.

    Best of luck to you

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Jason Tees to the site! I'm in the Northern VA/DC Metro area, but I do have family in the Richmond area & want to do business down there in the near future. Good luck with your endeavors!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.