Aspiring Investor - Greenville, SC

Aspiring Investor - Greenville, SC

Mauldin, SC · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone!

I am a 26-year old aspiring investor in the Greenville, S.C. area. I graduated from Clemson University in 2010 and currently run a roofing contracting business that has been in my family for over 75 years. 

My business has been doing very well the last few years and my wife and I have been lucky enough to pay down her student loans, car, and other consumer debt. We should be debt free by November and we're currently looking into making our first purchase in an investment property. 

I am a licensed general contractor and have experience in most type of exterior trades ( roofing, windows, boxing/fascia, gutters, siding, etc. ) and know many other contractors that are very reasonably priced that can do the type of work that I cannot. I feel like this puts me in a good position to find deals on distressed properties that I can rehab and either flip or rent out. Given my age, I would rather pursue a buy and hold strategy and pick and choose my properties very carefully, but I would be open to a flip if the money was right. 

I am here on Bigger Pockets hoping to meet others in my area that I can work with and learn from all the knowledgeable investors on the site.

Thanks

1Reply
13 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y

    @Brian Gilstrap welcome to BP. It is good to see another investor from the Carolina's.be sure and listen to the podcast because there is a lot to learn from there. The best advice that I could give to you would be when you find investors in your area see what you can do for them. You need to offer them something in return of your learning the business. Maybe you could give them some kind of discount with your contracting experience. Maybe you could be a general contractor on one of there property's in return of them showing you the investor side of the business.

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    12y

    you are in a great position to be an investor. Don't wait ten years. Get after it.

  • Mauldin, SC · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I definitely don't plan to wait ten years. I hope to have my first property this year and, provided I find the right deals, invest in two more next year. 

  • Wholesaler · Easley, SC · Member since 2010 · 340 posts · 249 votes
    11y

    Brian,

    I am located in Easley and have been investing for about 5 years now.  Have several rental properties and put my 4th flip under contract today.  While I am no expert feel free to contact me and maybe we can figure some things out together for our local market.

    Chris

  • Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    @Brian Gilstrap 

    Welcome to BP & congrats on getting all your consumer debt taken care of. You are in a great position to get your REI career started, particularly since you have a background in the building trades. I have been investing for about 4 years, mostly with buy-n-hold rentals & tax liens. I have had decent success in SC, not the best market, but not the worst either. Feel free to ask questions, I'm always glad to share what I know, esp with my fellow SC REI's. I have been contemplating doing some work in the upstate since it seems to be growing faster that my area is.

    Jesse

  • Clemson, SC · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP, @Brian Gilstrap !  Good to see a fellow Clemson alum here!

    The Upstate is a great buy and hold market - I have two rentals there.  Greenville, in my opinion, is the best county to flip a home in the Upstate as well.  With your experience and connections, I'm sure you can be successful!

    I've relocated to Charlotte but I come back often for Clemson games.  Let me know if you ever want to meet for coffee! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the site man! 

    I'm in the same boat, as far as learning and looking for teachers. It would awesome if we could meet and learn about REI together; hope to see you soon! Good luck out there.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Brian Gilstrap  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Mauldin, SC · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Hey Brian! Another Brian in Mauldin, here. I'm a fellow Clemson alum also (1996-2000). I'd sure be open to chatting anytime. I'm not yet financially in spot where I can invest, but I've got a touch of Rental experience and learned some lessons (to where I may could help you avoid the same ones).

    I'm mainly on here to meet like-minded and driven folks. And also to learn more about Tax Lien Certificates. Currently I'm working at a Plumbing, Electrical and Air company so I'm learning a good amount about the major systems of houses. I'm hoping that will help for when I jump back into investing some day.

    I'm probably less of a flipping guy and more of a rental income guy.

    Get in touch anytime. I love this stuff.

    Brian

  • Piedmont, SC · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Brian did my roof about 4 years ago. He is a very professional and ethical young man. Stands behind his work and more importantly his word. He personally came out and went up on my 3 story very steep roof to check the quality of his crew's work. When he found an issue  (which I totally did not see), he sent his guys back out to correct it. I would recommend anyone to work with him...

    Thanks,

    DR

  • Sales/Buy & Hold Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brian Gilstrap:

    Hello Everyone!

    I am a 26-year old aspiring investor in the Greenville, S.C. area. I graduated from Clemson University in 2010 and currently run a roofing contracting business that has been in my family for over 75 years. 

    My business has been doing very well the last few years and my wife and I have been lucky enough to pay down her student loans, car, and other consumer debt. We should be debt free by November and we're currently looking into making our first purchase in an investment property. 

    I am a licensed general contractor and have experience in most type of exterior trades ( roofing, windows, boxing/fascia, gutters, siding, etc. ) and know many other contractors that are very reasonably priced that can do the type of work that I cannot. I feel like this puts me in a good position to find deals on distressed properties that I can rehab and either flip or rent out. Given my age, I would rather pursue a buy and hold strategy and pick and choose my properties very carefully, but I would be open to a flip if the money was right. 

    I am here on Bigger Pockets hoping to meet others in my area that I can work with and learn from all the knowledgeable investors on the site.

    Thanks

  • Sales/Buy & Hold Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hello @Brian Gilstrap

    Are you still working on projects in Greenville?  I have worked with a few residential GC's in the area and have been very frustrated so I'm looking for more trade contacts for some of the heavier reno work.  Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested in talking.  Thanks! 

  • Mauldin, SC · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    I would be interested, but my experience is mainly in exterior renovations; roofing, gutters, siding, fascia, etc. My Cell is 8644145138.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Welcome Brian,

           I am in Easley..I have rentals but also have experience in property management and wholesaling. Clemson alumni also. I hope we can connect! BP is a great resource.

  • Mauldin, SC · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Kristy Ruff! I'm a buy-and-hold rental investor in Mauldin and we have a great BP group here in the upstate. 

    We're always happy to help or network in any way! It's cool to hear what you all having going on.

    I, too, am a Clemson alum (2000, sounds old!). What a great win against ND last night.

    One fun suggestion of a place to start would be: Listening to the two podcasts that @Chad Carson is on. And reading his blog posts.

    Reach out any time.

  • Professional · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hello @Brian Knox , I'm new to BP and am very interested in the upstate group. When and where do you all meet? I know nothing and am anxious to jump in and learn! Thanks!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Brian Gilstrap

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is great to see you hear.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.