Chicagoland 1st Time Homeowner & Investor Eager To Learn

Chicagoland 1st Time Homeowner & Investor Eager To Learn

Lake Zurich, IL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello All! I have been a fan of the podcast for about 4-5 months and very interested in getting into real estate investing.  I am from the NW suburbs of Chicago, IL and it took me getting my degree, and MBA to realize I want out of corporate America, and want to build true wealth with real estate.  I am likely going to buy my first home/ primary residence in the spring/summer of 2015 and hope to learn a lot to make that best possible situation, as well as many more investment properties! I am reading all I can and here to learn from you all!  Hopefully I can help in some way you all as well!

1Reply
15 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to Biggerpocket!

    We are also buy and hold investors with full time jobs. We got started through buying a personal property as our first "home". We fixed it up and rented out. We have had lots of friend who rented out their rooms so they were building equity while living rent free. Other people on bigger pockets have bought multiplexes. So there are lots of options. There are tons of great information on Biggerpockets. 

    Definitly check out the blogs, podcast and forums. Another great source of information is individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc.

    Look forward to seeing you around!

  • Investor · Burbank, IL · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi Jon, I'm here on the Southwest Side. I'm also new to BP. There's so much info here to digest and everyone is more than willing to answer questions.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Jon Burkhart welcome to BP! I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

    See you around the site!

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Jon Burkhart -  Welcome to BP!  

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Jon...anytime I can give you my opinions on anything local let me know.

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Jon Burkhart welcome to BP! This is a great place to learn more about REI especially with the added bonus of having some great people that you have the potential to connect with. I hope to see you interacting more often in the forums!

    BiggerPockets
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Jon Burkhart  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to Biggerpocket!

    We are also buy and hold investors. We got started through buying personal property and than renting it out when my husband was transferred. As we further our career we lived off of one salary and invest the other one. I am also an MBA and hope to use this cash flow to fund early retirement in 15 years.

    This is a great place to learn as we all start somewhere. Definitely check out the blogs, podcast and forums. Another great source of information is individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc.

    Look forward to seeing you around!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.