Rob Turner from Detroit, MI. (Sorry for the long intro....)

Rob Turner from Detroit, MI. (Sorry for the long intro....)

Involved In Real Estate · Novi, MI · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP.  My name is Robert Turner and I am from Detroit, MI.  I have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and currently work for Chrysler.  I also have a real estate license and am affiliated with Keller Williams out of Novi.  My short term goals are to build a successful wholesaling business and then branch into buy and hold's for passive income. 

Let me ask all of you a question.  WHY REAL ESTATE?  WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATOR? 

What is my "WHY?" Let me tell you! I currently work for Chrysler (17yrs) and my wife WAS a registered nurse. We were living the American dream: built the house of our dreams and raised our three children there, financially secure, ability to travel anywhere we wanted to....you get the idea. All that changed the day my wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness, Huntington's Chorea, at the ripe ole age of 42. Huntington's is a degenerative, neurological disorder that affects mental acumen, body movements, speech, and balance. THERE IS NO CURE. She is now 44 and everyday is a challenge. She reminds me that "we are not dying, we are living." She is no longer able to work due to her condition and even though we do okay financially today, it will not be enough to take care of her on a long time basis. She deserves the best. What I do in life, I do for her. She is my motivator! She is my WHY! If she can deal with her terminal condition with the courage she shows everyday, then I can certainly handle the challenges that come with real estate. How many times have you heard "I want to be rich."? Wanting to be rich in not a good enough answer.  I truly believe if you find your true motivation, your true "why", you will be rich in more ways than one. What is your WHY? Mine is my wife.

Again, sorry for the long post, I wish you all success............

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Flip and Buy/Hold Investor · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2013 · 245 posts · 105 votes
11y

Robert, you are in a good market for buy and holds. As Jeff mentioned before, there are a lot of investors in the area. Check out a local REIA. I belong to Michigan Real Estate Investors and think it is pretty good. They meet every 3rd Thursday of the month in Troy.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to the site Robert! Sounds like you have some motivating "WHY'S" in your life. let them propel you forward. Keep after it! 

  • Involved In Real Estate · Novi, MI · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    thanks Joshua.  will do.  good luck to you.........

  • Rental Property Investor · Shelby Twp, MI · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Welcome Rob.  Your post helps keep life in perspective and I fully understand the commitment to family, they are my why.  I am also starting out in the South East Michigan market but looking more to the buy and hold strategy.  May be we could learn and grow together.  There seems like a great support for our area here at BP.

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    SE Michigan is well represented here on BP.  We are also fortunate that there are several local REIAs.  Don't hesitate to reach out.  There is a lot of experience available and I have found many have been happy to help with projects and share their advice if just asked.

  • Real Estate Investor · Modesto, CA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Hello Everyone my name is Bomani Nantambu and I currently live right outside of Oakland, CA but I am originally from Detroit. My brother and I are interested in connecting with other individuals out of the Southeast part of Michigan mainly in Detroit. We are looking for good low cost rentals in the city and would love to connect to with others who are involved in REI in the area.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    We are buy and hold investors. Our motivator was to be able to control our life when my husband time with the Navy comes to an end. I think having a goal like that pushes you further than ever to be successful. I think the other key is while never forgetting your goal is to also being flexible. We have had so MANY lemonades turns into lemon aid that our entire business plan has evolved in the last 3 years.

    This is an amazing place because the only thing everyone agree with is real estate. Other than that everyone has their own niche. So look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

    Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

  • Flip and Buy/Hold Investor · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2013 · 245 posts · 105 votes
    11y

    Robert, you are in a good market for buy and holds. As Jeff mentioned before, there are a lot of investors in the area. Check out a local REIA. I belong to Michigan Real Estate Investors and think it is pretty good. They meet every 3rd Thursday of the month in Troy.

  • Professional · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Hey Robert, good to meet another real estate professional operating in the city. I can definitely recommend Renegade Detroit Investors if you're looking for REIAs. It's a self-proclaimed "no ********" atmosphere, and everyone is always trying to help each other out.

    As @Jon W.  mentioned, this area is great for buy & holds. If you have $10k+, you can easily find a place that rents for $500 or more a month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.