Finally introducing myself from Titusville, (north east) PA.

Finally introducing myself from Titusville, (north east) PA.

Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes

Hi everyone.  I am very excited to have found Bigger Pockets.  

My name is Daniel Mohnkern and I am from Titusville, PA.  I have lived in Detroit, MI (former city ;-), Buffalo, NY, and the Chicago, IL area before settling down in this quaint town.  

Having grown up in a rather poor family, and barely learning how to balance a checkbook in my high school, I quickly decided, shortly after marriage, that it was well past time to change my family tree.  In my distress, I responded to a radio commercial for a Wade Cook Stock Market Institute Trading seminar in 1999 and began my long dive into the world of making money outside of a "job".  I immediately started making and losing money in the stock market and, wanting to educate myself further, accidentally chose to read Robert Kiyosaki's THIRD book, "What the Rich Invest In That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not".  I thought it was going to be on the stock market.  Boy was I wrong.  I was a little disappointed until I started getting the big picture about Real Estate and Business.  Upon finishing that book, I quickly bought his first 2 books and was immediately hooked.

My challenge was that I wanted to know everything before getting in.  I don't know why I treated it differently than the stock market but I did.  I read DOZENS of books, went to several seminars, hired coaches, and wasted much money I could have used on deals.  I learned a lot of information but had nothing to show for it except for what was in my head.

Finally, in 2006, I used my tax refund to buy a duplex that has long term tenants who never do anything wrong.  It didn't take long to fall in love with rentals.  Don't worry, I know that one was probably very lucky.

I found Bigger Pockets by listening to various podcasts and hearing it mentioned as the premier podcast for those interested in real estate.  Who said that?  None other than Dan Miller on "48 Days".  I loved his podcast and followed his advice.  Boy am I glad I did.  I started on the very first one and have not stopped listening since.  I listen to them on my "BeyondPod" App while I'm driving around the country for my job (a Charter bus driver).

Once I found the Bigger Pockets site, I instantly fell in love with it.  I refused to waste my time on Facebook and Twitter because I saw little value in posting about arbitrary things that no one really cared about.  Bigger Pockets is so much more than that.  I can finally get to know people who are of like minds.  I can learn, network, socialize, and eat, sleep, and drink REAL ESTATE.  

I am about multi-unit rentals and possibly commercial real estate in the near future.  It would only make sense to be willing to wholesale here and there as well while finding what's right for me.  I really look forward to connecting with others, sharing experiences, learning, and, when I can, teaching, networking, and helping others here in this great community.   Talk to you soon!

Daniel Mohnkern

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
11y

Nice introduction Daniel, you painted a very inspirational picture for everyone. I have faith in you on your journey, and I believe you have it as well. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Nice introduction Daniel, you painted a very inspirational picture for everyone. I have faith in you on your journey, and I believe you have it as well. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Welcome Daniel. You have started your journey correctly. Good luck.

  • Summit, MS · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    11y
    Welcome I am new here also. I understand exactly where you are coming from. I grew up poor. Never with out necessities just no extra. Everything I know about managing money is self taught. I quit school in 10th grade. I worked my but off in my job the last 13yrs to move up. I refuse to be broke or do with out. I read a lot and study a lot. I have 3 rentals myself 1 trailer 1 brand new duplex. Going to build 3 more this yr. closing on a 6 property deal next fri. It can be done don't be scared and never give up. I wish you luck.
  • Kim VandermarkPro Member
    Investor · Henderson NV, USA · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Daniel Mohnkern 

    Welcome to the site and congratulations on finding your passion! 

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP!  Sounds like you are ready for your first deal!

  • Livonia, MI · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Great intro post Dan, you are making me wish I would have put a little more detail into mine! Welcome to BP. 

  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    Thank you all so much for your responses.  I am very excited to have found this community and am looking forward to many shared experiences to come.  

  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    Oops.  I have a typo in my introduction I need to straighten out.  (I wonder, is there a way to edit your posts?).  Anyway, I stated that I used my tax refund to purchase a duplex in 2006.  That should have said 2009.  Either the years are running together or the dyslexia aixelsyd is kicking in. 

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    11y

    @Daniel Mohnkern Welcome to BP, the greatest real estate investing website in the world. If I was you I would check out the blogs that is filled with tons of valuable content and more.

    Start Here First....

    The Ultimate Guide to Real Estate Marketing: 10 Tools to Generate Unlimited Leads

    Here is another good place to start by reading some top blog posts here on BP

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/author/antoniocoleman/

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Daniel Mohnkern 

    Welcome, fellow Pennsylvanian.

    The last time I was in Titusville it was in NW PA. Did They move it to NE?

    The FIRST oil well in the US was drilled by Col. Edwin Drake in Titusville in 1859.

    I did a Bigger Pockets Podcast # 82, give it a listen.

  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    @Antonio Coleman   Thank you for the welcome, Antonio.  I am totally loving BP so far.

    @David Krulac   Wow.  Did I really type that?  The only place that could have come from is that the town of Northeast, PA is in the northwest and it always throws me off.  Thanks for pointing that out.  We're still in the northwest.  And can you believe that I have a job as a charter bus driver driving all over the country?  Thank the Lord for Garmin.

  • Rental Property Investor · Little Neck, NY · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Daniel Mohnkern You have any property in Titusville or NW PA? I'm in the process of acquiring one now in Titusville.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.