• Sacramento, CA
Votes |
New Member - From WI to VA

Ralph S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:47

Hi Everyone

I'm Ralph Scott, and my wife and I are currently making a migration from SE Wisconsin to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. My RE background started in college with a BS degree in Business/RE from a CA State College in '81. For my efforts, I graduated into the last big RE bubble burst, and at that time opted out of the lousy economy and joined the Navy. More recently, my wife and I began investing in HUD repos in '98, and did the sweat equity, buy-fix-hold thing while both still working our normal jobs, her as a Fiscal Analyst for the city, and me in Accounting & Finance for an S&P 500 company for which I've worked for the last 18 years. Just for fun, I also dusted off my diploma, studied up, and in '04, passed the salesman and broker exams here in Wisconsin and got my broker's license. Since then, I've been active in RE only for ourselves, friends and relatives as a Broker Associate at a Coldwell Banker office in Kenosha.

Now, things are such that we've decided to chase a dream. We've both got a history in Virginia Beach and have always hoped to return there. So, now we're in the middle of relocating to Hampton Roads, and just recently purchased a REO property in Chesapeake. My wife has already found work in VA, and I'm still working and selling our properties in WI. One property I'm finishing up is pretty much a full rehab, an 1890's 3/2 that at sometime was poorly converted to a duplex. We're converting it back and it will be hitting the market soon. All while I continue to work my day job.

So, I'm currently considering a number of options as I work toward leaving my long-time employer and starting anew in Hampton Roads. I think it safe to say my real estate adventures will continue in VA, but, to what degree remains to be seen. While there, I've attended a few trustee sales, been a pain to a number of agents, seen a lot of homes and see some real promise in the South Side market.

So, that’s why I’m here. I’ve had a fair amount of success, even if part time, and I think, a sound education and base of experience, and am seeking to acquire the contacts and sources to see if I can come up with a new income through real estate in Hampton Roads.

By the way, really nice site. A real one-stop shop for real estate.

Loading replies...