The brain sore new investor from Omaha, Ne.

The brain sore new investor from Omaha, Ne.

Real Estate Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP,

I am Greg, born and raised in Omaha, Ne. I have served twelve years plus change in the Army. Deployed twice to Afghanistan. I am here today to start looking into securing my future success, can not stay in the military forever. I have attended a few real estate seminars. It completely amazes me how they all sound so similar, with their crush its, ah ha moments, and sales pitches. So I started digging into whatever free information I could find, which brought me here to this community. All the free information is great except when it lacks a direction to get started from. I am here today to network with all you amazing people and to get set in the right path, so I can succeed in my dreams.

Looking forward to getting to know this community better!

Till then, laters

Greg

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh NixBusiness Member
Lender · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2014 · 304 posts · 101 votes
11y

@Gregory A Merrill how is the Journey going for you? Don't get discouraged I know there probably seems like so much to learn and so many different areas to go into.  Whenever you want to be successful at something you have to start with the end in mind. What is it that you want out of real-estate? Cash-flow? Property Appreciation? Fix and Flip? etc.. As As @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner always say what is your "WHY?" and once you figure that out, you can move in the right direction.  Also if you don't know Josh and Brandon yet I suggest listening to the Biggerpockets podcast and by doing that you will help develop your "WHY"

Good Life Lending4.996 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    11y

    @Gregory A Merrill

    Welcome. As a veteran, you have access to an amazing renter network. Elizabeth Colegrove is definitely someone you should talk to, I also recommend listening to her podcast.

    If I was in the military or lived near a base, there is no question I would be in for the strategy of renting class A-B single family homes to officers. It's a notoriously steady tenant base that chooses renting for the sake of flexibility on their orders. There is no other place where you can find such a tenant, to my knowledge.

  • Real Estate Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Trevor Ewen,

    Thank you for that information! I had not even thought about that option I have available to me here. 

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Gregory A Merrill

    Hi and welcome to BiggerPockets! It’s a great place to learn more about investing and meet the people you want to meet. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2013 · 277 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Gregory A Merrill. I'm an AF guy myself and just got started investing about a year ago. As you can already tell, Bigger Pockets is an awesome resource. I'm glad that you saw the light and didn't get caught up in the 'hustle' of real estate seminars. 

    Honestly, the best place to get started in my opinion is by reading. I spent a few months in the beginning by reading everything that I could get my hands on about real estate. It helped me gain perspective on the industry as a whole, and decide what my particular niche was going to be.  I recommend starting here. Once you've found a direction that you're comfortable with, charge straight ahead.

    Best of luck, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into your recommendations!

  • Real Estate Agent · Omaha, NE · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    @Gregory A Merrill welcome to BP!  Thank you for your service to our country!  Let me know if you have specific Omaha questions that I can help answer.  It wasnt long ago that I was in your shoes as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the BP community.  We thank you for commitment to service of our great land. 

  • Josh NixBusiness Member
    Lender · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2014 · 304 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Gregory A Merrill how is the Journey going for you? Don't get discouraged I know there probably seems like so much to learn and so many different areas to go into.  Whenever you want to be successful at something you have to start with the end in mind. What is it that you want out of real-estate? Cash-flow? Property Appreciation? Fix and Flip? etc.. As As @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner always say what is your "WHY?" and once you figure that out, you can move in the right direction.  Also if you don't know Josh and Brandon yet I suggest listening to the Biggerpockets podcast and by doing that you will help develop your "WHY"

    Good Life Lending4.996 Reviews
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Trevor Ewen

    Thank you for the shout out and kind words.

    My husband is active duty navy. We have done very well buying a home at every duty station and than turning it into a rental when we are transferred. We also buy rentals to grow at the pace we wish!

    The key for us was establishing our goal(early retirement) and than our mode (rentals). While our path and journey has been amazing and in ways I never expected we have been more successful than my wildest predictions. The key is to be flexible.

    We started with a va loan and have gone from there. If I can help please let me know. I am alway happy to pay it forward.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.