New to BP... Active Investor in Detroit

New to BP... Active Investor in Detroit

Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes

Greetings everyone!  My name is Steve Lovett, and I'm a landlord in Metro-Detroit.  I have 8 rentals and have rehab and management experience.  I learned about BP initially when listening to Brandon's book on Audible.  Then I discovered the podcasts on Stitcher.  What an amazing wealth of information!  So I HAD to join BP and look forward to interacting with everyone.  I invest in a unique area with some amazing returns, and am looking to add some flips to my real estate portfolio this year.  I look forward to interacting with the community on this site.

1Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 74 votes
11y
I have several REO's and nonperforming notes in Detroit if you are interested. Can finance for you so you can use your money on rehab if you want.
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Castlewood, VA · Member since 2012 · 177 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    Welcome, Stephen. I'm a Detroit Metro investor as well. See ya around the forums.

  • Caloocan, NCR · Member since 2014 · 138 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Stephen!

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Thanks Matt.  I'm looking forward to it.  Do you know if the Detroit folks do monthly meet-ups?  I ran across one from a couple years ago in a search, but haven't been able to find if they're still happening.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    there is a monthly meet up group.  Do a search on FB for  Michigan real estate investors.

    Also set your key words.  Put Detroit in and you will get notifications when its mentioned lol which is all the time

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Thanks Scott. I'm familiar with Michigan Real Estate Investors from Meet up. I'm a member of the Oakland County REIA currently, and have yet to attend a Michigan meeting. You're in Madison Heights? I have several rentals there. I love that city!

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lovett:

    Greetings everyone!  My name is Steve Lovett, and I'm a landlord in Metro-Detroit.  I have 8 rentals and have rehab and management experience.  I learned about BP initially when listening to Brandon's book on Audible.  Then I discovered the podcasts on Stitcher.  What an amazing wealth of information!  So I HAD to join BP and look forward to interacting with everyone.  I invest in a unique area with some amazing returns, and am looking to add some flips to my real estate portfolio this year.  I look forward to interacting with the community on this site.

    Detroit Why would anyone invest in Metro-Detroit!

    Is it because of what you refer to as "amazing returns"

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Stephen Lovett

    Tagged people when you comment so they get notifications. If you type the @ symbol then begin to spell their name without using a space, it should populate under the comment box. Click on their name and continue typing your message. They will get a notification just like you have now...

  • Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP! I would love to hear more about your wealth of experience.  8 rentals is awesome!

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop.

    Yes.  My returns are incredibly good.  Better than anything I've heard from other investors.  They might even make your head spin.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the tip @Chaz Reid

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop

    Yes. My returns are incredibly good. Better than anything I've heard from other investors. They might even make your head spin.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lovett:

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop

    Yes. My returns are incredibly good. Better than anything I've heard from other investors. They might even make your head spin.

    Where are the properties located.  Bp people like facts not just talk.

    Now you said Detroit but also said metro Detroit which is it

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lovett:

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop.

    Yes.  My returns are incredibly good.  Better than anything I've heard from other investors.  They might even make your head spin.

    Careful now this board likes to call Detroit people liars.

    They are fretting over their inability to find properties within their 2% rule and don't think it even remotely possible to consider turning down properties that rent for 20% of the all inclusive  price.

    My deals also make my head spin so I know you are telling the truth.

    Can you beat my ALL IN $806 purchase  rented for $650 per month?

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Scott K.

    My properties are located in Detroit, Madison Heights and Royal Oak.  My 4 most recent acquisitions have an average Cap rate of 39%

  • Investor · Diamondhead, MS · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Hey Stephen,

    Welcome to BP. I worked in Detroit Proper rehabbing hundreds of homes from 95 to 2000. I believe anything is possible there. Good luck to you.

    Greg

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    Royal is going crazy right now amazing what's going on there

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lovett:

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop.

    Yes.  My returns are incredibly good.  Better than anything I've heard from other investors.  They might even make your head spin.

    Careful now this board likes to call Detroit people liars.

    They are fretting over their inability to find properties within their 2% rule and don't think it even remotely possible to consider turning down properties that rent for 20% of the all inclusive  price.

    My deals also make my head spin so I know you are telling the truth.

    Can you beat my ALL IN $806 purchase  rented for $650 per month?

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lovett:

    Thanks @Richard Dunlop.

    Yes.  My returns are incredibly good.  Better than anything I've heard from other investors.  They might even make your head spin.

    Careful now this board likes to call Detroit people liars.

    They are fretting over their inability to find properties within their 2% rule and don't think it even remotely possible to consider turning down properties that rent for 20% of the all inclusive  price.

    My deals also make my head spin so I know you are telling the truth.

    Can you beat my ALL IN $806 purchase  rented for $650 per month?

    Wow Richard!!! That deal is truly amazing.  I'd like to hear more abut that!  There is so much opportunity here that I can't imagine doing this in any other area.  It's nice to have The option to own outright for what most people use just for downpayments.

  • Castlewood, VA · Member since 2012 · 177 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Lovett

    Not to be the raging capitalist, but the more one discusses amazing deals, the faster they will disappear. Investors are very predictable that way.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Scott K. - Yeah the Royal Oak prices are going up at an amazing rate.  I won't add any Royal Oak unless I get a good wholesale deal, which are hard to find.  I would flip here though.  For rentals, I'm focusing now on other areas like Madison Heights and Detroit.  I've started looking at Warren too. 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 74 votes
    11y
    I have several REO's and nonperforming notes in Detroit if you are interested. Can finance for you so you can use your money on rehab if you want.
  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    I'm not really following your train of thought.  We're all capitalists as investors.  There's nothing wrong with that.  In terms of discussing deals, that's one of the purposes of BP.  It's encouraged.  In terms of disappearing, I don't really understand what you're referring to.  Logic would predict that investors who do their due diligence to find deals that they know are good will be around and in the game for a long time.  Keep in mind that real estate is all local.  Some areas have advantages and disadvantages that others don't.  I live in a very uncommon market where deals are just different than most places.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Duke Marquiss

    I'd be happy to check them out.  Can you proved a list to me with any additional data that you have on them?

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Stephen Lovett

    Not to be the raging capitalist, but the more one discusses amazing deals, the faster they will disappear. Investors are very predictable that way.

    No they just call us Liars

  • Castlewood, VA · Member since 2012 · 177 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Lovett

    My train of thought is quite simple: the more one publicizes their successes, like-minded people will follow. It's the old "fisherman not revealing his secret fishing spots" analogy.

    After enough time has passed, the deals that are plentiful can/will become infrequent. 

    And yes, free flowing information on BP is encouraged, but that doesn't mean you have to give up your secret fishing spots. So you have now alerted thousands, perhaps more, of like-minded, ROI hungry investors to cast their lines in your favorite spots. Home appreciation in Royal Oak is a good example of this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.