New B & H Investor from NY/NJ

New B & H Investor from NY/NJ

Missy H.Pro Member
Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes

Hi Everybody

Just joined BP a couple of weeks ago and I am so excited to be a part of the family.

I am originally from Long Island and moved to North Jersey about a year ago.  I have always wanted to be involved in real estate and took the plunge 11 years ago when I bought a duplex in Albany, NY at a tax auction.  OMG!  This property was so bad the homeless would not live in it (leaking roof, water soaked carpet, rodents....).  After fixing the roof, I kept it for a couple of years sitting vacant, until my sister forced me to do something with it.  So I got my act together, rehabbed the house, got some tenants in (both good and bad).  Fast forward, 9 years......

....Hurricane Sandy hit Long Island at the end of 2012 and the house that my twin sister and I owned was ruined (purchased in 2005).  After dealing with the insurance companies and changes to building code, the rehab was complete.  I now have great tenants.  Fast forward, to the present......

.....my sister turned me on to BP and I am itching to buy another property.  I am on BP daily, reading posts and replying with my tiny nuggets of knowledge.  Over the last two weeks, I have been binge listening to the podcasts.  As soon as I catch up, I will start over again.  I can't wait to move forward and hopefully meet great like-minded people along the way.

1Reply
9 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Missy H.

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome @Missy H. it’s a pleasure to have you here! You will find this a tremendous resource for all of your real estate needs. You may want to set up some “keyword alerts” to notify the topics that interest you the most.

    All the best!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 111 votes
    11y

    Welcome! What areas are you looking at investing? At first when I read "B & H Investor"  my mind did not read buy and hold, it read B&H as the B&H photo store in NY. 

    I thought "Man, that was probably a great investment, that store sells a massive amount of gear!". :)

  • Missy H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rafael Floresta:

    Welcome! What areas are you looking at investing? At first when I read "B & H Investor"  my mind did not read buy and hold, it read B&H as the B&H photo store in NY. 

    I thought "Man, that was probably a great investment, that store sells a massive amount of gear!". :)

    Too Funny. 

    I WISH that I was an investor with B & H.  ......but even if I were, I would still still be a RE investor.  IT'S IN MY BLOOD!!!

    As far as to where I am looking to invest???  My first choice is Albany since I already have a property there.  However, I am open to the possibilities.  I am a NYer at heart, but since I have been working in NJ, I have grown a fondness for the Garden State. 

    Have car will travel.....  I read an earlier post from you to another Newbie in South Jersey.  (I can't remember who.)  If you guys do meet up, please keep me in mind.  I'll do a road trip to brainstorm with like-minded folks.

    Thanks for reaching out. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.