Hello from Newbie Investor in San Antonio, TX!

Hello from Newbie Investor in San Antonio, TX!

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hello, everyone!

My name is Wardell Picquet. I am relatively new to the world of Real Estate Investing.I am still currently working a fulltime job as a Graphic Design Instructor at Sanford Brown College – San Antonio. I am also a Fine Artist and Illustrator.

My first awareness of this field was a Flip or Flop free seminar in February. I chose not to pay and walked out. My next experience a month later was a free Rich Dad seminar. This time I decided to invest in the 3-Day workshop. Prior to the workshop I devoured all of the instructional material and went online to discover the even larger Real Estate Investing universe. I attended several local REIA meetings and joined one. I originally came across Bigger Pockets then and signed up but have not posted until now.I declined the Rich Dad offer of a $40,000 training curriculum and chose instead to try my lot with my local REIA.

I am currently almost swimming in information from online forums and email posts and training videos. But its time to stop reviewing and get some things started! I am dangerously close to the Paralysis by Analysis syndrome.

I still have not gotten my LLC created but should within the week. I have made an alliance with a trustworthy Real Estate agent and even procured some tentative future financial investment.I have done "driving for dollars" and picked out several "farm areas" here in San Antonio and had numerous, vigorous comps done for me. I am still in the process of putting together a Power Team.

My original intentions were to stay with the "no money down" REI strategies but I now want to start with Fix and Flips while the San Antonio market is so hot and before our Market bubble bursts and before the national market begins its downswing.

I am open to any information from seasoned investors and particularly those here in San Antonio with similar interests.

Thank you!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 11 votes
11y

Hello Wardell, welcome to BP and welcome to RE investing. Working with a RE agent will certainly help you to determine ARV for properties you are looking to buy. If you are looking to tackle "fix and flips", I recommend you get together with someone in the area who has done rehabs, to learn the process. There are tons of moving parts, and a copious amount of skill sets necessary (managing people, determining rehab costs, buying at the correct price, picking a good location, to name a few).

If you can learn to recognize what a deal truly looks like, you will be far ahead of most people getting started.  Keep reading posts on BP, and ask TONS of questions.  

I recommend reading the book "How to Flip a House" by Brant Phillips.  This was written by a guy who is active in Houston, not a seminar coach like you encountered already.  

Give me a call if you would like some advice.  I'm local, and I'm active full-time.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Hello Wardell, welcome to BP and welcome to RE investing. Working with a RE agent will certainly help you to determine ARV for properties you are looking to buy. If you are looking to tackle "fix and flips", I recommend you get together with someone in the area who has done rehabs, to learn the process. There are tons of moving parts, and a copious amount of skill sets necessary (managing people, determining rehab costs, buying at the correct price, picking a good location, to name a few).

    If you can learn to recognize what a deal truly looks like, you will be far ahead of most people getting started.  Keep reading posts on BP, and ask TONS of questions.  

    I recommend reading the book "How to Flip a House" by Brant Phillips.  This was written by a guy who is active in Houston, not a seminar coach like you encountered already.  

    Give me a call if you would like some advice.  I'm local, and I'm active full-time.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Wardell Picquet!!

    It's great to have you here!!

    Good luck and happy investing!!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Wardell Picquet

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Wardell Picquet welcome to the site! It's great to have you!

  • Real Estate Investor · Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hi @Wardell Picquet

                                     Welcome to Biggerpockets!Great to have you here.keep networking and see you forums.

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Wardell Picquet, Welcome to the BiggerPockets community! The best thing you can do when you are first starting out is build a strong team around you, and find an experienced investor to team up with for your first few investments. Best of luck!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Wardell Picquet

    Welcome. 

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @David Markette. Thanks for the welcome David! I will definitely be in touch. I will also look up that book.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Tristan C. Thank you!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @ Mark Nolan. Thank you for the advice. I've already checked out Beginners Guide and How to Flip a House.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @ Brandon Turner. Thanks and it's great to be here!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @ Swapna Bareddy. Thanks and the forums are definitely on my to-do list.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @ John O'Leary. Thanks! What I would like some input on is how the "team up" should be structured in terms of who does what and who gets what?

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @ Paul Timmins. Thank you! I've attended 2 of the 3 local REIA meetings. I have J. Scott's books and his Flipping Spreadsheet. I have the Rewind info. I would, however, appreciate more info on the HUD homes strategy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.