new member from Memphis

new member from Memphis

Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello,

I am relatively new to the BiggerPockets forum world, but I see the value in the community and intend on being a frequent contributor.

Currently, I am a full-time real investor who now owns hundreds of single family homes and duplexes and a couple of small apartment complexes.  At the beginning of 2007, I didn't own a single rental property!

I am also the Principal Broker at CrestCore Realty in Memphis, TN.  We have 25 employees on staff who manage 2,000+ properties for 275+ investor clients from all over the world (I am a very satisfied management client of them firm).  

We also have 25 licensed real estate agents at our firm who specialize in helping investors buy and sell rental houses.

Our sister company does all the renovation and maintenance work, which allows us to be a true end-to-end solution for investors who are looking for discounted properties.

Since we buy, sell, rehab, and manage for commissions instead of profits, we view ourselves as an alternative to the turnkey model that many companies offer.

Personally, my dream is to own many more units across the southeastern United States over the next 10+ years.  Specifically, I'd like to be in Little Rock, Jackson, MS, Birmingham, the FL panhandle, Shreveport, and Dallas. 

I've been investing full-time for 8 years and hope to make it at least another 42+ years!

I'd love to connect with you if you are interested in anything I wrote above!

Best regards,

Douglas Skipworth

Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
View Page
2Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
11y

Welcome to BP... I'm very new as well. 

Wow! You have an incredible portfolio for a guy who started in 2007. How in the world did you grow that fast???

Incredible!

I'm hoping to buy rentals in Birmingham and maybe Memphis over the next several years. 

The BP website and community is a great place to connect, network and learn.... but it sounds like you've already got most of that well under control :)

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Welcome to BP... I'm very new as well. 

    Wow! You have an incredible portfolio for a guy who started in 2007. How in the world did you grow that fast???

    Incredible!

    I'm hoping to buy rentals in Birmingham and maybe Memphis over the next several years. 

    The BP website and community is a great place to connect, network and learn.... but it sounds like you've already got most of that well under control :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Southeast · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 63 votes
    11y

    @Douglas Skipworth

    Quite impressive portfolio. I'd like to speak with you about your goals in Birmingham. I'll send over a pm.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hi @Douglas Skipworth

                                    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    11y
    Welcome Doug!
  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hello, Bradley, Jarrod, Swapna, and James.

    Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

    I will reach out to you individually to keep the dialogue going.

    All the best,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Residential Real Estate Agent, Investor and Mentor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 257 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Douglas Skipworth.  I look forward to hearing your story as well.  Please connect with me when you have a moment.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Douglas Skipworth!!!!! Now you just need to get Dan active!!!

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks, Stephen and J Benoit.

    I'm working on Dan now!

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Hello Douglas,

    Welcome to the community. I'd love to hear how you built up a portfolio that large in just 8 years. I am a turn key provider here in Birmingham and I'd like to speak to you about your goals here. I just sent you a PM, so I look forward to hearing from you!

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks for reaching out, TJ.

    I just accepted your request.  

    It's a bit cliche, but I've found that one of the big keys to long-term success in real estate investing is working with other.  The old adage, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." is so true for rental properties.

    I have a day-to-day partner who has carried more than his fair share of the load.  And, over the years, we've treated all of our contacts as "partners," in the sense that we want them to be better off by interacting with us.  As I'm sure you have found, just being honest and competent gives you a leg up in the real estate industry, especially if you follow up and do what you say.

    How do you use BiggerPockets?

    Best regards,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Welcome Douglas!  I'm here in Little Rock and am working on building my rental portfolio.   Let me know if you need boots on the ground here in Central Arkansas or if there's anything else i can do for you.  PM me any time.  Again, welcome to BP!

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Matt,

    Thanks so much for reaching out.  I really appreciate it.

    I'll shoot you an email later today.  

    I'm actually going to be in Little Rock this Friday.  Hope to see you then.

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Douglas Skipworth

    Welcome to BP.  I'll skip my normal newbie hits for leveraging BP, as education is not where you're going to get the biggest bang for your time.  You're key is networking.  To that end, I'd like to visit with you about your goals and plans in the Dallas area. 

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks, Hattie.  I appreciate the warm welcome.

    I grew up in Dallas and my folks still live there.  Next time in town, I will definitely give you a call.

    I'll shoot you a personal message right now.

    Best regards,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @Douglas Skipworth

    Welcome and quite an impressive operation you have. I too am a broker, acquire properties, and offer turnkey services. We overlap in several areas and I will PM you to further discuss.  

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi Douglas. Welcome to the forums. I live in Little Rock and own a small part-time business that operates in Memphis. I would love to connect and if there is any way I can be of assistance, please PM me.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Good job on the acquisitions in a short time frame.  I would assume you had a corporate job when acquiring those properties, then one day said "see ya!"  That was pretty much how I did it.....very liberating moment.

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Jonathan, Alex, and Kim.

    Thanks for the welcome to BP.  I'm really glad to be here!

    I'll message each of you so we can connect.

    Best regards,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 119 votes
    11y

    @Douglas Skipworth welcome to the community. What brings you to Little Rock on Friday? If time allows send me a PM and maybe we can sync up. 

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Paul,

    Thanks for the message.  I'll PM you the details.

    Best regards,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Investor · Benton, AR · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Douglas Skipworth. I too am new here, but also new to RE investing. BP offers tremendous amounts of information and the perfect place to network. I find your business interesting as you provide the "whole package" to investors. I would like the opportunity to speak with you and learn more about your business. 

    Welcome again!

    Regards,

    Alex

    Leisure Investments LLC

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks, Alex.

    I appreciate your comments.

    I'll give you a call today.

    Best regards,

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    Hi Douglas,

    Welcome to BP. I'm part of an investment company out of Central Arkansas that holds over 50 properties at the moment and does a number of wholesale and creative transactions. Shoot me a message with your buying criteria and what you're looking for so I can reach out to you if I run across something that suits your business model. 

    Would love to network sometime and hear about the strategies that you have implemented to grow so steadily and consistently. 

    Cheers,

    Eric Metz

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks, Eric.  All that sounds great.

    I'll reach out for you today.

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP Doug.  I am an investor in the Jackson, MS area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.