New Investor from Northwest Indiana

New Investor from Northwest Indiana

Investor · Schererville, IN · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone, my name is Rob Gard and I live in Schererville Indiana - about 30 miles outside of Chicago. I currently work in downtown Chicago and have been climbing the corporate ladder for the past ten years. Real estate is something that I've always believed in and am very passionate about. I dream about the day when my REI has reached a level where I can walk away from corporate America to spend time with my family and focus on growing my RE portfolio.

I have wanted to get involved in real estate for quite some time but it wasn't until recently that I became a landlord. I have one rental property but am very eager to acquire more. I am most interested in building a portfolio of buy and holds but would also like to do some flips - ideally in the Northwest Indiana, Chicagoland, Southwest Michigan area.

I have been educating myself for several years and check out the BP forums and blogs and listen to the podcasts on a daily basis. There is an abundance of knowledge and resources on this website and I'm grateful to have stumbled across it. I hope to continue to grow my knowledge and network through this website for years to come!

I am looking forward to networking with the BP community to help me live out my dream and experience the same freedoms that a lot of you currently have!!

3Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 74 votes
11y

Hi @Rob Gard and Welcome!

Ditto to almost all of your post (I am south/central Indiana).  I am about to start renting out my first buy and hold and look to buy many more to quit the non RE related job and I enjoy renovations so I'm interested in doing a few flips.

Good luck and happy investing!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 43 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Rob Gard! I am from Valpo and it's nice to see another local investor on here. I wish you well in your REI journey.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 74 votes
    11y

    Hi @Rob Gard and Welcome!

    Ditto to almost all of your post (I am south/central Indiana).  I am about to start renting out my first buy and hold and look to buy many more to quit the non RE related job and I enjoy renovations so I'm interested in doing a few flips.

    Good luck and happy investing!

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    11y

    Hi Rob- welcome to BP. I'm in Dyer. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 469 posts · 81 votes
    11y

    Good morning @Rob Gard and welcome to BP!!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Rob Gard

    Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community. It is a great place to learn about real estate.

  • Wholesaler/Real Estate Investor/Consultant · indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 265 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    Good Afternoon @Rob Gard and Welcome to the Community at BP never Give up an keep Consistent & Persistent.

    Elia

  • Lender · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    Welcome,

    Legal Disclaimer: I am a licensed Mortgage Originator in IN, FL, OH anything I say may not be applicable to other states. NMLS#1157855.

     I recommend you do the following things:

    1. Listen to all the podcasts.

    2. Find the local REI clubs/meetups.

    3. Find a lending partner with knowledge an a wide selection of products.

    4. Learn about self directed retirement accounts.

    5. Learn two or three ways to work in RE incase one market has a down turn you have other options.

  • New Albany/Louisville, Indiana/Kentucky · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Hey Rob! Great to see fellow Hoosiers on here. Im from the other end of the state across the river from Louisville. Everyone says to meet with all the local REIAs you can. Also, connect with as many members on BP you can, inside and outside your area. It is amazing the relationships that can develop. Excellence over success, but excellence leads to success! Good luck brother.

  • Investor · Schererville, IN · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michelle T.:

    Hi @Rob Gard and Welcome!

    Ditto to almost all of your post (I am south/central Indiana).  I am about to start renting out my first buy and hold and look to buy many more to quit the non RE related job and I enjoy renovations so I'm interested in doing a few flips.

    Good luck and happy investing!

     Thanks Michelle and best of luck to you as well!! My first rental was a home that I had lived in for 8 years. We recently moved and were able to keep our first property as a rental. The first of what I hope to be many rentals in my RE portfolio!

    I'm looking forward to acquiring more properties but just need to find creative ways to finance.

  • Investor · Schererville, IN · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Aleks Gifford:

    Welcome,

    Legal Disclaimer: I am a licensed Mortgage Originator in IN, FL, OH anything I say may not be applicable to other states. NMLS#1157855.

     I recommend you do the following things:

    1. Listen to all the podcasts.

    2. Find the local REI clubs/meetups.

    3. Find a lending partner with knowledge an a wide selection of products.

    4. Learn about self directed retirement accounts.

    5. Learn two or three ways to work in RE incase one market has a down turn you have other options.

     Thanks Aleks, I appreciate the input and advice!

  • Investor · Schererville, IN · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Deering:

    Hey Rob! Great to see fellow Hoosiers on here. Im from the other end of the state across the river from Louisville. Everyone says to meet with all the local REIAs you can. Also, connect with as many members on BP you can, inside and outside your area. It is amazing the relationships that can develop. Excellence over success, but excellence leads to success! Good luck brother.

    I'm familiar with your area, went to college down in Evansville. Thanks for the advice Joshua. I am going to look into my local REIA's and plan on continuing to network with the BP community. Best of luck to you as well man!

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    @Rob Gard- Welcome to BP! I currently invest and own many SFH properties in the areas of Dyer,Schererville, St. John, Griffith, Cedar Lake, Highland, and South Merrillville. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance!

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Rob Gard, I do a lot of work in NW Indiana with my team of investors. We have quite a portfolio there. 

    @Adrien C. - I see you are in Dyer. I just saw an article about the top 10 snobbiest places in Indiana. Dyer was on it. Shocked me, but here is the link: http://www.roadsnacks.net/snobbiest-places-in-indiana/ 

  • Flipper · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Welcome! Always good to see other investors in NWI.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    On Monday September 14th, I will be at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Hammond, The new one just off of I-80/94 at Kennedy avenue exit. Meeting with a few other investors. All NWI investors are welcome to join. Just let me know if you are coming so I can let Bdubs know a count.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dale Stevens:

    On Monday September 14th, I will be at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Hammond, The new one just off of I-80/94 at Kennedy avenue exit. Meeting with a few other investors. All NWI investors are welcome to join. Just let me know if you are coming so I can let Bdubs know a count.

     Great- what time? 

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    7pm... 

  • Investor · Schererville, IN · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dale Stevens:

    Welcome to BP @Rob Gard, I do a lot of work in NW Indiana with my team of investors. We have quite a portfolio there. 

    @Adrien C. - I see you are in Dyer. I just saw an article about the top 10 snobbiest places in Indiana. Dyer was on it. Shocked me, but here is the link: http://www.roadsnacks.net/snobbiest-places-in-indi...

     Thanks Dale! What areas of NWI are you investing in and what types of properties?

    I'm going to try and make it to BW3. Will let you know when I have a better idea.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Rob Gard

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    I have been detained by the day JOB. But ask around for a John R. He has short black hair. He told me he is wearing a grey t-shirt.

  • Flipper · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi, any other meet ups planned in NWI?

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    Next one is in January... 

  • Investor · Merrillville, IN · Member since 2009 · 252 posts · 104 votes
    10y
    Hi Dale Stevens , I'm from Merrillville and would be interested in meeting up with you guys at the next meetup. Do you send invites or notify others on here who are interested?
  • Merrillville, IN · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP. I'm from Merrillville.
  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! I own property in Merrillville. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.