Looking to get (back) in the game!

10 Replies

I am an civil litigation attorney in Tampa, Florida. Following undergrad, I worked as a residential project manager in Central Florida. The time spent managing development of dozens of single-family residential homes was perhaps the most enjoyable period of my professional career. I am looking to rekindle that passion for real estate via residential fix-n-flips; ultimately working into achieving a portfolio of income-producing properties.

I live in Tampa and see the area as offering a tremendous opportunity down the road. Given the demand, I am concerned that I may be priced-out of the market in the short-run. However, I grew up in Polk County and may likely rely on its affordability to generate experience/capital to break into the Tampa market (where I really want to focus).

The fix and flip market in Tampa is saturated right now, so deals are a little harder to come by; they are still there, but you have to hustle.

happy hunting. if you need anything, please reach out.

I have a fantastic fully renovated 6/4 duplex for sale in Tampa. Will easily turn an 11% cap rate. Contact me for more info.

Welcome to BP Mark. I'm just jumping into the real estate game myself, local here in Tampa (born and raised) and also went to undergrad in Lakeland (Florida Southern). I know both areas pretty well. Maybe we could meet up and get coffee and talk shop.

Thanks @Austin Davis . It'd be great to get together. @Dave Bingham was having monthly get together for area investors. May be time to reestablish those! 

I'll be looking for my next project soon, so perhaps a late October meet-up is in order? DAVE? What do you think? 

@Tim McHaffie  Tim I'm an investor and agent here in Lakeland.  My partners and I do about 30-50 homes a year.  We do a little in Tampa but it's a very different market than Polk Co.

I'd love to connect with you sometime. Maybe we'd be a good fit to work together.

Gavin

@Tim McHaffie - welcome to BP! I'm a newbie investor in the Tampa area and have just completed the "fix" part of my first "fix and flip."

I'm thinking about organizing a get together by the end of the month or mid-November if there's enough interest. If so, I'll find a local space and report back here soon. Stay tuned...

And don't let @Dave Bingham scare you. (although he and his minions did beat me for $20 at poker last night.) ;) I'm still bullish on Hillsborough county. As I've heard repeated many times on the BP podcasts-- there are ALWAYS deals to be made, but they may just take more creativity, hard-work, and the ability to adapt to changing market conditions. But Dave is right about one thing-- in the Tampa market at least, the days of sitting back and cherry-picking multi-families off the MLS are likely over.

Now-- having said that, I bought my duplex off the MLS in Feb. 2015. But I was very clear about my game plan and strategy. I kept that focus. And, I was ready to jump when the opportunity presented itself. I had an all cash offer in within two hours of it popping-up on the MLS. Now, everything that happened AFTER that is something I'll share with y'all over a few beers! ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you