Looking to get (back) in the game!

Looking to get (back) in the game!

Attorney · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I am an civil litigation attorney in Tampa, Florida. Following undergrad, I worked as a residential project manager in Central Florida. The time spent managing development of dozens of single-family residential homes was perhaps the most enjoyable period of my professional career. I am looking to rekindle that passion for real estate via residential fix-n-flips; ultimately working into achieving a portfolio of income-producing properties.

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
10y

@Tim McHaffie - welcome to BP! I'm a newbie investor in the Tampa area and have just completed the "fix" part of my first "fix and flip."

I'm thinking about organizing a get together by the end of the month or mid-November if there's enough interest. If so, I'll find a local space and report back here soon. Stay tuned...

And don't let @Dave Bingham scare you. (although he and his minions did beat me for $20 at poker last night.) ;) I'm still bullish on Hillsborough county. As I've heard repeated many times on the BP podcasts-- there are ALWAYS deals to be made, but they may just take more creativity, hard-work, and the ability to adapt to changing market conditions. But Dave is right about one thing-- in the Tampa market at least, the days of sitting back and cherry-picking multi-families off the MLS are likely over.

Now-- having said that, I bought my duplex off the MLS in Feb. 2015. But I was very clear about my game plan and strategy. I kept that focus. And, I was ready to jump when the opportunity presented itself. I had an all cash offer in within two hours of it popping-up on the MLS. Now, everything that happened AFTER that is something I'll share with y'all over a few beers! ;)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @Tim McHaffie welcome to BP!  What areas are you looking for your fix and flip to be in?

  • Attorney · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I live in Tampa and see the area as offering a tremendous opportunity down the road. Given the demand, I am concerned that I may be priced-out of the market in the short-run. However, I grew up in Polk County and may likely rely on its affordability to generate experience/capital to break into the Tampa market (where I really want to focus).

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 278 votes
    10y

    The fix and flip market in Tampa is saturated right now, so deals are a little harder to come by; they are still there, but you have to hustle.

    happy hunting. if you need anything, please reach out.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    10y

    I have a fantastic fully renovated 6/4 duplex for sale in Tampa. Will easily turn an 11% cap rate. Contact me for more info.

  • Management Analyst / Urban Planner · Lutz, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Mark. I'm just jumping into the real estate game myself, local here in Tampa (born and raised) and also went to undergrad in Lakeland (Florida Southern). I know both areas pretty well. Maybe we could meet up and get coffee and talk shop.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Austin Davis. It'd be great to get together. @Dave Bingham was having monthly get together for area investors. May be time to reestablish those! 

    I'll be looking for my next project soon, so perhaps a late October meet-up is in order? DAVE? What do you think? 

  • Gavin WelchPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 181 votes
    10y

    @Tim McHaffie  Tim I'm an investor and agent here in Lakeland.  My partners and I do about 30-50 homes a year.  We do a little in Tampa but it's a very different market than Polk Co.

    I'd love to connect with you sometime. Maybe we'd be a good fit to work together.

    Gavin

  • Contractor · Land O' lakes, FL · Member since 2014 · 129 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    @Mark J.

    They are on hold right now as I reassess the marketplace and seek other investment vehicles. I'm fairly convinced that unless one is buying long term this is the wrong time to be buying.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    10y

    @Tim McHaffie - welcome to BP! I'm a newbie investor in the Tampa area and have just completed the "fix" part of my first "fix and flip."

    I'm thinking about organizing a get together by the end of the month or mid-November if there's enough interest. If so, I'll find a local space and report back here soon. Stay tuned...

    And don't let @Dave Bingham scare you. (although he and his minions did beat me for $20 at poker last night.) ;) I'm still bullish on Hillsborough county. As I've heard repeated many times on the BP podcasts-- there are ALWAYS deals to be made, but they may just take more creativity, hard-work, and the ability to adapt to changing market conditions. But Dave is right about one thing-- in the Tampa market at least, the days of sitting back and cherry-picking multi-families off the MLS are likely over.

    Now-- having said that, I bought my duplex off the MLS in Feb. 2015. But I was very clear about my game plan and strategy. I kept that focus. And, I was ready to jump when the opportunity presented itself. I had an all cash offer in within two hours of it popping-up on the MLS. Now, everything that happened AFTER that is something I'll share with y'all over a few beers! ;)

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Tim McHaffie

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is great to see you hear.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.