New investor from Jenison/Grand Rapids, Michigan

New investor from Jenison/Grand Rapids, Michigan

Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets!

Just wanted to introduce myself and says thanks for such a great resource!  I've been pouring over the blogs and forums absorbing as much knowledge as I can.  The last 3 weeks I've attended the webinars, read ebooks, and have started listening to podcasts.  There is so much good information here, and I'm taking in as much as I can to help jump start my career in RE investing.

A little about myself:  I'm 35 years old and have been happily married to a wonderful wife for 8.5 years and have a son (2 years) and daughter (7 months).  I've been a software developer for 17 years specializing in Microsoft technologies and have my BS degree in Information Systems.  15 years ago I started learning about RE investing from a co worker that was embarking on this journey, and I read books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quandrant, Total Money Makeover, How to Win Friends and Influence People, and other various "motivational/self-help books".  I found all this very fascinating and exciting but being young, and lacking money I found the prospect of RE very intimidating and focused on what I was comfortable with which is technology.  Starting a family further derailed my dreams of RE investing as it just seemed too risky at the time.  Now I find myself coming to the realization that the best time to act is now.  I can no longer make excuses and if I want to truly provide for my family then I need to start taking steps now to achieve my goals.  Although I make a decent salary, and benefits provided are nice, I don't have much more room for salary growth, and it just isn't going to cut it if I want to give my family everything they deserve.  

I signed up to attend a local RE Investment Group that will be meeting this Monday to start networking and building relationships with like minded people.  So if any of you happen to be going to that event be sure to say hello.

0Reply
6 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @Mark Jager welcome to BiggerPockets and thank you for introducing yourself. You seem to be taking action and that's awesome! I hope to hear success stories from you soon.

    Have you setup your "Keyword Alerts" yet? If not - definitely add some. I'd recommend adding "Jenison" so you'll be notified when people talk about your local area.

    Welcome Mark!

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Brandon Turner!  I enjoy your webinars very much especially the Q&A at the end where I've been able to pickup some extra helpful tidbits.  Also, congratulations on the new residence!

    Yes I've set up some key word alerts and have already seen some posts come through that exactly addressed some questions I hadn't asked yet but was meaning too :)

    Once I start getting some deals coming through I'll definitely ask the community for input and share the results as I progress.  I really get inspired when people share their situations whether it's financial success or failure knowledge success.

  • Multi-family Investor · Allendale, MI · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 51 votes
    10y
    Welcome Mark, We have 2 duplexes in Jenison and several more in Wyoming and Kentwood. Always glad to see other Michiganders on the site! We have only been doing REI for a couple years, but let me know if I can answer any questions!
  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Julie Haveman! 

    A couple years is infinitely more than the 0 years I have, so I'm grateful for your gracious offer.

    How did you get your start?  What led you to choose duplexes as your avenue of focus?

    I'm still trying to learn the market from an investors perspective.  I really like the idea of 4 plexes, but am not sure how many are around outside of the Heritage Hill area.  

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2013 · 391 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    Hello @Mark Jager!

    Welcome to the site, and to the wonderful world of investing.  (:  This is a great area, and you will find some good properties in the Jenison/Wyoming area.  I like that spot quite a bit myself!

    If you're talking about the Buffalo Wild Wings meetup, I'll see you there... have a great one, and please reach out with questions.

  • Multi-family Investor · Allendale, MI · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    @Mark Jager,

    My husband and I have been talking about it for years, we saw a couple of duplexes on 20th in Jenison for sale by the same owner. We went thru them and just decided to jump in. The previous owners were very kind and gave us copies of leases, applications and a bunch of other paperwork.  We choose duplexes because they seem to cash flow better than single family houses.  We have all of them sharing lawn/snow and covering their own trash.  We have run numbers on a few four plexes and it seems they get a little less rent, plus owner quite often pays trash, snow, and lawn, so we keep going back to duplexes.  

    I did just see a 4-plex on Taft in Wyoming for $115k on Craigslist. That would cash flow if you want to look into it. 

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Hey @Mark Jager

    It's great to have you here!

    You have definitely found the right place to help kick-start your REI career! If you're looking for people in your area try clicking on the Network tab at the top of the page and searching for members with your Zip Code. Looking forward to interacting with you on the forums!

    Best of luck to you Mark,

    -Kyle

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi @Brandon Krieg it's great to know people are making investing work in the area, and I was talking about the BW3 meetup so I'll see you there!

    @Julie Haveman I actually live just a couple blocks from 20th on Baldwin so I've probably walked/driven by your properties many times.  Thanks for the tip on the 4-plex I'll check it out.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Mark Jager

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @Mark Jager that's awesome! See you around.

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Tokasey great thanks for the tip!

    @Mark Nolan thanks.  Solo 401K huh?  I'll have to keep your name filed away for when I can no longer use my employer 401K ;)

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP community! It place is a great to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Checkout the Beginner’s Guide (if you haven't already): http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    It's great to have you here! 

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko I had already seen that guide, and you're right it is a great piece to orient new investors.  Thanks for the warm welcome.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Hi Mark,

    Thank you for the mention! Welcome again and I hope you accomplish all of your dreams in real estate, and life.

    Best,

    Dmitriy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.