From Selfies to Real Estate - Finally Realizing the Value of Time

From Selfies to Real Estate - Finally Realizing the Value of Time

reservist/student · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 4 votes

About five months ago, I stumbled across an app on my smartphone that tracks how much time I spend each day on my phone. I forgot about the app and never opened it since I installed it. A couple weeks ago I decided to open up that app and see my results.

I didn’t consider myself a phone addict at all. I was able to make it through 9 weeks of military training without even thinking about it. My initial thought was that I spent only 1.5 – 2 hours on my phone each day-I thought wrong!

I was spending 3 - 5.5 hours each day, with an average of 26.7 hours per week on my phone! I still managed to acquire those hours despite working a 40 hour per week job with strict no-phone policy. I feel ashamed saying this, but I spent on average: 9 Hours a week looking at Facebook photos and status. 7 hours taking “selfies” on snapchat. 5 Hours looking at ridiculous tweets from various celebrities on Twitter.

Instead of taking selfies and tweeting, I’m going to refinance my 26.7 hours each week by learning as much as I can about real estate. Considering my young age of 19, I sense the only way to earn respect and establish mutually beneficial connections is through knowledge and experience.

Anyways love the posts! Hopefully in the next 2-3 years I will be working with those of you in the Cincinnati and Dayton areas.  

3Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Ozzy SmithPro Member
Specialist · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 265 votes
10y

I love this post!!!!!  When I talk to many people they say they can't do something because they don't have the time.  The correct response is they don't give what I ask of their time enough priority over other things.  Everyone has the same amount of time in a day to get things done.  Some spend it watching TV or sleeping or whatever.  I'm glad to see that you took the initiative to prioritize your life on things that will actually make a difference.  Now the key is to actually use that new found time to better yourself.  I hope you do.  Also you don't have to wait for 2 or 3 more years to get started.  Anyone over the age of 18 has the ability to do real estate the same way as anyone else and even those under the age of 18 still have options.  Treat your inexperience just as you did your cell phone time... once you know what the problem is work it backwards.  Don't focus on the problem work on the solution.  Decide what it is you need to do real estate first... that is the goal and work it backwards to find the starting point of what to do then trace those steps back to the goal.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ozzy SmithPro Member
    Specialist · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 265 votes
    10y

    I love this post!!!!!  When I talk to many people they say they can't do something because they don't have the time.  The correct response is they don't give what I ask of their time enough priority over other things.  Everyone has the same amount of time in a day to get things done.  Some spend it watching TV or sleeping or whatever.  I'm glad to see that you took the initiative to prioritize your life on things that will actually make a difference.  Now the key is to actually use that new found time to better yourself.  I hope you do.  Also you don't have to wait for 2 or 3 more years to get started.  Anyone over the age of 18 has the ability to do real estate the same way as anyone else and even those under the age of 18 still have options.  Treat your inexperience just as you did your cell phone time... once you know what the problem is work it backwards.  Don't focus on the problem work on the solution.  Decide what it is you need to do real estate first... that is the goal and work it backwards to find the starting point of what to do then trace those steps back to the goal.

  • Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    @Connor Nelson - Welcome to the vibrant BP community  and I am glad you found the leak that was draining your time. Now that you plan to plug that hole, below are some links that will help you fill the void.

    Thanks for sharing that info and I am sure others will be installing that app.

    Your time here will be well spent.  Now that you have made the move, below are some links that will help you navigate the site. However, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

    Before your 1st purchase, please ensure you visit the below link for some tips.

    http://www.realestate.com/advice/buying-your-first-investment-property/

    eBook

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-

    community-book

    Blog

    Lastly, don't forget the podcasts, webinars, #askbp podcast and the blogs.

  • Investor · Clark Fork, ID · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Connor Nelson Welcome, sounds like you have a good grasp on investment, time=money, can't wait to see where you go from here!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Connor Nelson I'm not much for selfies or twitter but I have to ask, what is the name of this app? I'd like to give it a go. Sounds like an interesting experiment!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 433 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    At your age, you're wayyyy ahead of the game. Good for you. You've come to the right place to guide you as well. You'll definitely be learning lots so get ready. Take your time. Learn it the right way and make it stick. Good luck on this new perspective!

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Connor Nelson:

    About five months ago, I stumbled across an app on my smartphone that tracks how much time I spend each day on my phone. I forgot about the app and never opened it since I installed it. A couple weeks ago I decided to open up that app and see my results.

    I didn’t consider myself a phone addict at all. I was able to make it through 9 weeks of military training without even thinking about it. My initial thought was that I spent only 1.5 – 2 hours on my phone each day-I thought wrong!

    I was spending 3 - 5.5 hours each day, with an average of 26.7 hours per week on my phone! I still managed to acquire those hours despite working a 40 hour per week job with strict no-phone policy. I feel ashamed saying this, but I spent on average: 9 Hours a week looking at Facebook photos and status. 7 hours taking “selfies” on snapchat. 5 Hours looking at ridiculous tweets from various celebrities on Twitter.

    Instead of taking selfies and tweeting, I’m going to refinance my 26.7 hours each week by learning as much as I can about real estate. Considering my young age of 19, I sense the only way to earn respect and establish mutually beneficial connections is through knowledge and experience.

    Anyways love the posts! Hopefully in the next 2-3 years I will be working with those of you in the Cincinnati and Dayton areas.  

     I'm calling bs. You take selfies, and you're a man (based on your first name)?? I honestly thought you were either trolling or you were a gal named Connor.

  • reservist/student · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Andrey Y. -Thanks for the warm welcome. The point of this post is actually about time management.  

  • reservist/student · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Lexi Colt Its an app called Quality Time!

  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    10y

    @Connor Nelson Congrats on deciding to prioritize your time. Taking the action to learn real estate will produce results.

    Take time to network with local people. There's the Cincinnati REIA meetings, plus we have a Dayton Meetup. The OREIA conference is Nov 5-8, 2015. Meeting other people focused on real estate will really help you accelerate your learning, and prep you to take action.

    Feel free to call, or come to any of the networking opportunities and say "Hi" I'm happy to help anyone who wants it, but as a reservist, you can get a little more time. (it was only 8 weeks long when I went through boot camp)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.