Can spending time on the beach at Waikiki be overated?

Can spending time on the beach at Waikiki be overated?

Mike DarceyPro Member
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 8 votes

Hi, my name is Mike Darcey, I am new to Bigger Pockets and real estate investing but interested in getting involved and solving my early retirement problem. The problem is I have no early retirement! 

I do spend more than my fair share of time on the beach at Waikiki, but that's only because I live in Hawaii and work as a construction manager/project manager for commercial projects, particularly retail projects, which, in Honolulu, are concentrated in Waikiki.

I found bigger pockets as an Itunes podcast and have thoroughly enjoyed Josh and Brandons' banter and the information and knowledge they have put out there for folks to learn. I am interested in taking some of that knowledge and putting it to some effective use in the real estate market. I am personally looking at growing my own portfolio in a balanced approach with some buy and hold properties as well as getting involved in fix and flips. Since I am new I would love to help experienced folks get their projects done just to get some experience under my belt and build up some confidence. 

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kailua, HI · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
10y

Aloha @Mike Darcey,

I'm always looking to meetup with new investors and building my list of contractors to work with. PM me if you're interested in getting together.  Aloha.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BorgerPro Member
    Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 500 posts · 208 votes
    10y

    Hi Mike. Welcome to the club -- I do most of my business on Oahu. It's an awesome market for real estate. You'll probably need to give up some of that beach time in Waikiki to get really going in your REI career, but it's worth it. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    @Mike Darcey, Welcome to BP! I just joined BP not too long ago and it's always nice to see people from back home! I'm originally from Honolulu, Hawaii but now live in SF, CA.

    @Michael Borger, any tips on which area in Oahu is awesome for real estate investing? I'd like to purchase a property back home one day. It'll give me an excuse to visit the island and my family!

  • Oahu, Hawaii. Investor & Realtor. · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Mike Darcey

    Welcome to BP. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Come to a HiREI meeting.  We are on Meetup.com, thanks, Don

  • Real Estate Broker · Kailua, HI · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Aloha @Mike Darcey,

    I'm always looking to meetup with new investors and building my list of contractors to work with. PM me if you're interested in getting together.  Aloha.

  • Mike DarceyPro Member
    OP
    Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Sounds great. Not sure how to send private message through bigger pockets from my phone but definitely interested in talking real estate and seeing what other folks in Hawaii are doing.
  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Life on the beach can be ruff.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Aloha!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.