New Guy from Los Angeles - South Bay (Redondo Beach)

New Guy from Los Angeles - South Bay (Redondo Beach)

Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes

Hello everybody. My name is Alan from the Los Angeles area. I live and work in the South Bay. 

I stumbled across BiggerPockets through a Youtube podcast post. Thought I was going to listen for a few minutes but ended up hearing the entire 1.5 hour show! I'm a newbie to real estate investing but have a high level of interest in expanding my footprint. I have two properties in the area and rent one of them. Professionally I'm a financial advisor, and more accustomed to dealing with liquid assets. Hoping to learn and share ideas with the smart folks on this website. Feel free to reach out! 

3Reply
36 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Bourbonnais , IL · Member since 2012 · 257 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets @Alan R.!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Alan R.

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is a good place to connect with real estate professionals and to learn about real estate. For example, you set up key word alerts. http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 197 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    Hi @Alan R.  Welcome to BP. 

  • Lender · Upland, CA · Member since 2009 · 112 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Hi Alan,

    Welcome to BP, this is a great website and resource for all types of real estate investing.

    I always recommend these 3 things to people beginning in Real Estate Investing:

    1) Do a lot of research here

    2) Do not spend a lot of money with coaches, it would be much better to put that money to work and learn from experience, I'm not against coaches or education, but you need to be careful as there are some that are really bad

    3) There are many real estate clubs out there, visit them, select your favorites and meet other investors working your area. You can find info on clubs here and also you can look at meetup.com. Networking is key to success.

    Cheers! see you around...

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the advice Juan. Interested in learning about the meetups.com.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome Alan! Redondo is awesome...I ride my bike down the beach path to there and home. I live up in Venice.

    Welcome to BP!

  • New to Real Estate · Apo, AP · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Hi there and welcome! I wish you the best in your REI endeavors. The podcasts are great aren't they? I have learned so much from just listening to 1 a day. What I love about them the most is that the hosts always have the beginner investors in mind, so it doesn't sound like ancient Greek to newbies.
  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Welcome Alan! Redondo is awesome...I ride my bike down the beach path to there and home. I live up in Venice.

    Welcome to BP!

     Ali thanks for the welcome. I grew up in Venice and know the area well. I just got done reading an article on the 2% rule. It's a new concept for me. I don't see how you can get 2% or 1% in an investment property in LA. Does that mean it's not a good market?

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alan R.:
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Welcome Alan! Redondo is awesome...I ride my bike down the beach path to there and home. I live up in Venice.

    Welcome to BP!

     Ali thanks for the welcome. I grew up in Venice and know the area well. I just got done reading an article on the 2% rule. It's a new concept for me. I don't see how you can get 2% or 1% in an investment property in LA. Does that mean it's not a good market?

     Forget to mention that you wrote the article I read!

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jace Im:

    Hi there and welcome! I wish you the best in your REI endeavors. The podcasts are great aren't they? I have learned so much from just listening to 1 a day. What I love about them the most is that the hosts always have the beginner investors in mind, so it doesn't sound like ancient Greek to newbies.

     Thanks Tok. I agree. They are great for newbies and straightforward.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    If you are looking for cash flow, you are correct. You won't find it here. I've always invested out-of-state because of it.

  • Wholesaler · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Alan, I'm in Redondo also.  

    I'm also looking for pos cash flow so am looking to grow my portfolio outside of CA. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Get on the podcasts and forums. They are a ton of help.

    Happy investing!  

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    10y

    @Alan R.

    Welcome and it looks like you're off to a great start. 

    Keep reading and learning and you'll be fine.  This site is excellent and you will find a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

    Take care and good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Troy, NY · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hello Alan - I am new to RE as well and in the Venice area.  Welcome to BP! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.