New member and Firefighter in Jacksonville Florida

New member and Firefighter in Jacksonville Florida

Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes

Hello my name is Scott Dorsett,

     I am a full-time Firefighter Paramedic here in Jacksonville Florida. I am extremely interested in real estate and have found a passion in this type of work. My full-time job is very exciting, but I have found just as much satisfaction and purpose in RE investing. I am looking for community members to learn and grow from. I plan on getting my RE license in February and plan on doing my first flip next year. I am a young, energetic, and enthusiastic investor looking for connections to help me with my dream of real estate. I will do whatever it takes to attain success. I would like to sincerely thank the Bigger Pockets community for allowing me to introduce myself. Looking forward to learning from the best.

 Sincerely and respectfully,

        Scott Dorsett

1Reply
23 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • BiggerPockets Support · Manila, Philippines · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 148 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett

    Welcome to BP! This is the best place to grow your knowledge in Real Estate. Glad to have you with us.

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Thank you Rachelle for the kind welcome!

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett

    Hi and welcome to BiggerPockets! It’s a great place to learn more about investing and meet the people you want to meet. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    Jacksonville is a great place right now for an investor.  I live in Oregon, but have been investments in JAX for several years now.

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett

    Hey Scott,

    Welcome!  I was born in Jacksonville Florida though I am many years departed.  Cool to see your story, i look forward to seeing your discussions here on RE.

    -Rick Forand.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    thank you @Larry Fried I have already love the book. That's what got me interested in bp. Thanks for the information and the welcome!

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 192 posts · 126 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett Welsome to BP. I am from St Augustine and just getting started myself and plan to buy my first SFR by end of June 2016. Been working with a friend here locally who is a broker/investor who is in touch with the NE Florida market. Let me know if you have any questions and welcome aboard and best of luck.

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Hello @Scott Dorsett

    @Scott Dorsett               Welcome to Bigger Pockets! This is really a community that you learn a lot from. I courage you to find local Real Estate Investment Networking Events because that is a more face to face approach that is often the most impressionable. Building a network of fellow Real Estate professionals is key in succeeding in this industry. Hopefully we can work together in the future!

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP and thanks for your service. Let me know if I can help answer any questions.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    thank you @Brent Hill let me know if you find that mentor or have any key information about our markets. looking for knowledge as well

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    thank you @Adam Bartomeo how many properties have you flipped. How many properties did it take for you to feel like you had a stable understanding of the concepts involved.

  • Registered Nurse · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Scott Dorsett!! We have a similar background, I am a RN (ICU) and have been for the last 10 years. I had planned to go back to school to become a CRNA got accepted at UNF back in 2009 but I found out I was pregnant so plans change. Now, the last couple of years my priorities and interest in real estate have really peaked. I am learning and soaking up everything I can to be prepared to jump right in next year. Good luck in your REI adventure and hope to hear your success stories soon. Hopefully we will get the chance to work/help each other out in the future. Reach out if you need anything.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y
    Thanks Laura J. For the welcome. Thanks is very interesting we do have such a similar background. From what I hear Jacksonville is a very good place to be in the REI business. I read in your bio you have done one flip. What area of town did you buy in. What would you have changed if you could do it all over again. I have been having difficulty finding a mentor or consultant and will be attending a networking event in January. It seems to be promising to make some connections and new friends. Respectfully, Scott
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

    @Scott Dorsett

  • Registered Nurse · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett. Yes, it is quite hard finding a mentor. You have to add value to that said person for them to consider mentoring you. I find it difficult also, since my schedule as a RN and being a single mother doesn't allow for me to drive around looking at properties with agents. I look at houses on different sites almost every day analyzing from afar. Still, without the MLS it proves to be more challenging. So, I am currently trying to get my RE license. But until then am soaking up everything I can for the right time to pull the trigger.

    In answer to your question, yes I have bought and sold only 1 home and it was my own. It was right after the crash and we didn't gut it but renovated every room in the house. Sold the house less than 2 years after purchase and made double the purchase price for the home. The home was located in Mandarin and was quite a big house at 3400 sq/ft. I have lived in Jacksonville for over 15 years so I'm pretty confident that I know the city very well. I am also looking to attend the local REI meeting to build my network. I wish you luck and maybe we can work together in the near future.

  • Wholesaler · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Scott Dorsett Welcome to BP. You can check out the meetings they have at JaxREIA website here http://jaxreia.org/ and also on meetup.com over 700 members in that jax group to get with investors such as yourself. Biggerpockets is also one of my go to sites for just about any question i have and I also check out Sean Terry's Flip2Freedom podcasts also. Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.