New member from Atlanta

New member from Atlanta

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found my way to bigger pockets. I enjoy listening to the bigger pockets podcast hearing success stories regular joe's like myself. It motivates me and makes me believe I too can be successful in REI. I look forward to connecting with some awesome people here on BP. A little about myself, my name is Jerrid Burke. I am 34 years old. I'm a veteran of the United States Navy, a former Professional MMA fighter and new firefighter. My life path has brought me here to bigger pockets seeking to enter the REI world. With a 24hr on 48hr off schedule I was looking to be productive with my time off so I started reading self improvement books which led my to business books and finally to real estate books, podcast and whatever source of information about real estate I can get my hands on. I'm very motivated to figure out a path to purchase my own investment properties to enable me and my family to have a better financial future. I look forward interacting in the forums and learning all I can from people who have been there!

2Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 69 votes
10y

@Jerrid Burke 

Welcome to BiggerPockets! You have come to the right place for RE investing lot’s of great info and advice from the BP community.

Here are some links that I have put together for you, hope it will help you on your path of REI. I hope this will answer so of your questions.

Much success to you!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/0... (Get Paid House hacking)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/13/investing-multifamily-ben-leybovich/ (Podcast 061 - How to succeed in multifamily investing-Ben Leybovich)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/09/how-to-buy-a-small-multifamily-property/ (How to buy a small multifamily property)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/16/how-to-choose-areas-multifamily-deals/ (How to choose multi-family deals)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/07/19/how-to-buy-a-duplex/(How to buy a duplex)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/12/12/bp-podcast-048-duplex-managing-tenants-darren-sager/ (Podcast 048 Duplex investing and managing tenants-Darren Sager)

Much success to you!

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Jerrid, 

    Welcome the the world of REI! Do you currently own any investment property? Have you thought about where you'd like to invest or what type of properties you'd like to invest in?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi Blake,

    I currently do not own any investment property. I'm looking to invest in properties in Atlanta. I'm leaning towards multifamily possibly "house hacking". My wife and I own a condo. I'm looking to use my VA benefit to purchase a multifamily property, live there, rent out the other units and rent out our condo as well. I feel I still have much work to do before I think about pulling the trigger.

  • New to Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    @Jerrid Burke 

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! You have come to the right place for RE investing lot’s of great info and advice from the BP community.

    Here are some links that I have put together for you, hope it will help you on your path of REI. I hope this will answer so of your questions.

    Much success to you!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/0... (Get Paid House hacking)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/13/investing-multifamily-ben-leybovich/ (Podcast 061 - How to succeed in multifamily investing-Ben Leybovich)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/09/how-to-buy-a-small-multifamily-property/ (How to buy a small multifamily property)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/16/how-to-choose-areas-multifamily-deals/ (How to choose multi-family deals)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/07/19/how-to-buy-a-duplex/(How to buy a duplex)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/12/12/bp-podcast-048-duplex-managing-tenants-darren-sager/ (Podcast 048 Duplex investing and managing tenants-Darren Sager)

    Much success to you!

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 53 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerrid Burke:

    Hi everyone,

    I'm so glad I found my way to bigger pockets. I enjoy listening to the bigger pockets podcast hearing success stories regular joe's like myself. It motivates me and makes me believe I too can be successful in REI. I look forward to connecting with some awesome people here on BP. A little about myself, my name is Jerrid Burke. I am 34 years old. I'm a veteran of the United States Navy, a former Professional MMA fighter and new firefighter. My life path has brought me here to bigger pockets seeking to enter the REI world. With a 24hr on 48hr off schedule I was looking to be productive with my time off so I started reading self improvement books which led my to business books and finally to real estate books, podcast and whatever source of information about real estate I can get my hands on. I'm very motivated to figure out a path to purchase my own investment properties to enable me and my family to have a better financial future. I look forward interacting in the forums and learning all I can from people who have been there!

     Hi Jerrid,

    Sounds to me like you're no regular Joe. Especially since more you've come to Bigger Pockets. A rousing welcome to you and thanks for the service of the past. I wish you much fun and success!

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    welcome Jerrid! Yes House hacking with VA loan is the way to go! You have a good strategy to start.

    Salute to a veteran and firefighter, thanks for your service! 

    Wish you all the best. 

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Are you sure your wife/family is happy with house hacking?  Really sure?  

    If so it is a great way to kick start your investing career.  If not, then don't force it on her/them.  Some people are not cut out to be landlords (men or women) and this is particularly poignant when considering your tenants will be your neighbors.   

    If it was me I'd not only check out the property but I'd also check out the tenants.  I'd at least knock on the door and say hello.  Last thing you want is to find a great deal but a nasty tenant living right by you.  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thank you for putting that together @Account Closed for responses. Great to meet you both!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi @Cal C. My wife is on board as long as I can show her it makes sense for our future. I only plan on us living in a multifamily for a year or so to satisfy the terms of the VA loan. Then I plan on looking for a single family home. I understand it could be tough being a landlord to a neighbor. I'm going to look into it more and try to talk to people that have house hacked to gain some insight of do's and don'ts. Thank you for the advice!

  • Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2016 · 161 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jerrid Burke! I'm a newbie here myself, but one of the things I'm considering is buying a MFR in the Atlanta area. My son lives there and has a network of potential tenants (possibly including himself, so I've been thinking about helping him with an FHA MFR purchase). Let me know if you come across anything where we might help one another.

    Thanks,

    Chaz

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerrid Burke

    Welcome! It looks like you have achieved much success already. VA is a great product to house back up to 4 units. There are many investors on here in the Atlanta area.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi @Charles McCabe I certainly will. I'm also looking at MFR. I've been looking around a bit. Most of the MFR I've come across is in SW Atlanta and its mostly cheap and distressed but of course that's the rough area of Atlanta in general. MFR seems to be a little more scarce in north and east Atlanta. Where are you looking?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jerry Padilla Thanks for the response. I've had success in some areas but really looking for financial success and I'm excited about this path! I do plan on using my VA to get into MFR. Hopefully I can connect with some of these investors in Atlanta

  • Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2016 · 161 posts · 62 votes
    10y
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerrid Burke

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerrid Burke

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Paul Timmins I didn't know about HUD, that's good information. I've read the begginers guide and I'm reading J. Scott's book now. I'm going to my first REI meet up tomorrow! I appreciate the advice!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Mark Nolan I look forward to interacting with other members

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.