New Member for Fort Collins, CO

New Member for Fort Collins, CO

Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote

I'm a newbie to the real estate industry and looking to build a career by not only becoming an Agent, but by REI.

I've been a Petroleum Landman for the last 10years writing mineral ownership reports for a Denver area based brokerage.  Due to dwindling oil prices and massive layoffs, its time for a change.

I look forward to meeting new folks, and learning all about this exciting industry!

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Shelbyville, IN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 24 votes
10y
Originally posted by @John Scheving:

I'm a newbie to the real estate industry and looking to build a career by not only becoming an Agent, but by REI.

I've been a Petroleum Landman for the last 10years writing mineral ownership reports for a Denver area based brokerage.  Due to dwindling oil prices and massive layoffs, its time for a change.

I look forward to meeting new folks, and learning all about this exciting industry!

 Hi John, 

Looks like Patrick beat me to giving a warm, Fort Collins welcome to BP. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    Great to have you to Fort Collins!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks Patrick!

    I will be sitting for the Colorado Real Estate exam this Friday, and hopefully joining one of the Agency's I've interviewed early next week.

    I'm attending Than Merrill's seminar this Saturday to hopefully obtain a little bit more knowledge about REI, and get me pointed in the right direction. Has anyone here heard of, or attended one of his free seminars? I was curious as to whether or not it would be beneficial, but it's free, and I'll take all the information I can get at this point.

    I'm excited about starting this new chapter in an new industry, and would love any advice or suggestions anyone may have. 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    My experience is that the free seminar will give you a few nuggets of info but is geared for the next seminar and then the boot camp and then the mentoring program.  Go to it but be prepared. They have excellent closers  whose job is to get you to go to the next level.  There is plenty of experience locally to take you there with out the huge incremental cost of the programs.  Glad to have you in the area and look forward to meeting with you.  I grew up in the oil fields of the Powder River Basin and still own minerals in the area.  Prices at the pump do not actually reflect the low cost of oil in the production end.  I think a lot of it is due to recapitalizing the refinery part of the industry.

    Keep in touch

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @John Scheving

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks for your input!

    Your description of the event is pretty much what I figured....no way they were going to put their entire playbook on display in a free seminar.  Like I previously mentioned, I will take any and all information I can get at this point (especially for free), but your advice to stay grounded and prepared to be enticed into further educational material (and costs) has been heeded.  

    Thanks again!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks Mark!

    I've already signed up for tonight's webinar.

    Excited to learn!

  • Shelbyville, IN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Scheving:

    I'm a newbie to the real estate industry and looking to build a career by not only becoming an Agent, but by REI.

    I've been a Petroleum Landman for the last 10years writing mineral ownership reports for a Denver area based brokerage.  Due to dwindling oil prices and massive layoffs, its time for a change.

    I look forward to meeting new folks, and learning all about this exciting industry!

     Hi John, 

    Looks like Patrick beat me to giving a warm, Fort Collins welcome to BP. 

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 227 votes
    10y

    @John Scheving Congrats on finding Bigger Pockets. I am a displaced oil & gas engineer myself and found a new home in real estate. I've been learning quite a bit from Bigger Pockets and learning about aspects of real estate investing I never even knew existed. You'll see other O&G people show up on here once in a while. I'd be happy to help out a fellow Colorado oilfield friend if you ever need anything. 

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @John Scheving, welcome! I'm in the Fort too and just landed here at BP recently myself. I've been consulting to high risk industries, including oil & gas, for many years on the safety side of things. It's been a really rough time. All the best in your career transition!

  • Windsor, CO · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    I am fairly new to this group as well, and also in the N. Colorado area. Worked in O&G for Noble, saw the writing on the wall and went back to health care IT. Good luck to you sir.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.