New member from Harlan, Indiana/Temecula, California

New member from Harlan, Indiana/Temecula, California

Investor · Harlan, IN · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 24 votes

Hello all,

My name is Jason and I am originally from the Fort Wayne area of Indiana. I left home in 2004 and joined the Marine Corps straight out of high school. Since then I have jumped all over the country and traveled all over the world. In the process I have continued to educate myself through books and online university classes on investing and general studies. Most recently I moved to Temecula in sunny California where I am currently stationed at Camp Pendleton.

I love to research real estate and stocks which is what led me to discover this community. I currently own a primary residence and a rental and have been considering purchasing another rental property in the NE Indiana area. I am interested in learning about all facets of real estate investment but am currently primarily focused on establishing a portfolio of rentals. My goal is to have a small solid collection of rentals by the time I am ready to retire from the military. I aim to accomplish this through a conservative and very analytical approach that would involve purchasing no more than one property every year and using cash. At the end of the day I don't really care how much money I make as long as I am having fun and can sufficiently support my family. In other words I'm not looking to get rich quick. I am a workaholic and just enjoy being passionate about what I do so money is just a side effect of a job well done in my humble opinion. 

Anyway, I'm looking to find my next passion as I get closer to retirement and investing has always been a passion if not a hobby so I want to start paving the way to a new career early. I am looking forward to learning from all of the experience and resources that make up this community. Thanks for reading I will step down from the soap box now. 

Cheers!

Jason McKinley

2Reply
31 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome.  I'm in a similar position as you are: veteran (and married to an active duty E-8), and collecting rentals as we make our way to the end of the military path.  We also haven't gotten rich quickly, but every month we get payments from tenants, who slowly pay down our mortgages.  Nice to have you on board~

  • Investor · Harlan, IN · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Nice to meet you Kerry! I must say that I am slightly jealous that I will never get thr chance to be stationed in Florida. The closest I have come is South Carolina and I sure do miss the east coast and southern hospitality. Thank you for your service. How far out are you all from retirement? 

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 994 posts · 783 votes
    10y

    Hi Jason, Welcome!  I am in Temecula myself (Agent, Investor and Property Manager) and have worked with several military families.  Since you know Indiana, you may want to consider researching that area, since the cost of entry is so much lower than here. I have invested heavily in Kokomo, In with excellent success.  There it is about strong cash flow properties, while here you have a nice appreciation expectation.  (Having both, is the best)  I have a great property mgr out there as well.  Best of luck to you.  You seem to be on the right road!

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    Great opening post, Jason.. Thanks for your service. And I think you are on the right path in following an interest. I think the buy and hold rentals just "clicks" with some people and can become a great way to make a living and follow your passion. Best of luck.

  • Investor Relations Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 50 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason McKinley:

    Hello all,

    My name is Jason and I am originally from the Fort Wayne area of Indiana. I left home in 2004 and joined the Marine Corps straight out of high school. Since then I have jumped all over the country...

    Jason, welcome to BP!  First, I want to thank you for your service to your country.  I don't think we can ever say that enough.

    Are you just looking at the Indiana market right now or are you interested in expanding further?  The Cleveland area is another great market for rental investments.  There's a lot of opportunity here for investors looking to invest with minimal hassle and headache.

    Please feel free to contact me with any questions.  Best of luck!

  • Bob CollettPro Member
    Property Manager · Brecksville, OH · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 464 votes
    10y

    Jason, thank you for your service.

  • Investor · Harlan, IN · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for your support and hospitality! I thoroughly enjoy what I do and will miss it once I move on. I look forward to learning and conversing with you all in the future.

    Cheers!

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    @Jason McKinleyit was great meeting today let me know how I can help you succeed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.