New member from Richardson, TX (Dallas / Fort Worth)

New member from Richardson, TX (Dallas / Fort Worth)

Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes

Hi BP Community! I’m currently in the research phase and have no real estate investment experience. My only real estate transaction thus far is my primary residence. I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, and my professional background is in corporate finance.

My plan is to focus on buy-and-hold with SFR or small multifamily, and invest in the DFW or College Station markets since those are what I know best from personal experience. Currently I'm working on my business plan, reading books / blogs / forums, and continuing to expand my network in order to learn from others.

Outside of work, my biggest hobby is learning Mandarin – which I’m doing with limited success since I’m pretty much tone deaf and that makes learning a tonal language a little difficult! My profile picture contains the Chinese characters for “student” because whether the subject is Chinese or real estate, I know that I will always have room to learn and grow.

1Reply
12 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Trexie E.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Davao, Davao del Sur · Member since 2015 · 937 posts · 163 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jonathan W.,

    Welcome to BP!

    I'm very sure you'll love it here! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or clarifications. We are always happy to help!

    BiggerPockets
  • Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2009 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    You still may want to add a picture; especially for us females.   It will make it more comfortable.  This is me.  I am not going to help a person much unless I can see a picture.  It proves to me there is nothing to hide.  And as a female; I sure am not going to meet you without seeing a picture cause if you dont match you pic; I am driving off.  I have met two new investors on bp and walked thru houses with them and they matched their pictures.   I know they still could have attacked me once inside the house; but it still made me feel more comfortable.

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Pam, makes sense and thank you for your perspective on it! I'm actually having some technical issues with the profile pic. The Chinese avatar I referenced was actually rejected because they thought it was a business promotion (?!). I'll have to look into it later and get it updated.

  • College Station, TX · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Welcome Jonathan! 

    I would also recommend the BP podcasts as well. They've been a great resource for my business, and something that I can listen to while doing paperwork, working out, or driving. What is your experience with College Station, did you go to A&M?

  • Real Estate Agent · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Jonathan W. BP is such an amazing resource.  This place not only teaches me an enormous amount about real estate, but the community of people doing all of the same things I want to be doing is the most motivating thing I can imagine.  Every time someone tells you it can't be done, all you have to do is point them to this web site to see the thousands of people already doing it. 

    Anyway, wish you the best of luck on your journey.  I am moving to the Dallas area soon, maybe we will cross paths in the future!

    Cheers,

    Josh

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Tyler Bradfield Thanks! I'm listening to BP podcasts on the way to work. I also enjoyed the perspective provided in the Real Estate Rewind ebook. Yes, I was in B/CS for several years while my wife and I were at TAMU. 

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Josh Sandefer Thanks for the warm reception! Do you know what part of the metroplex you'll be in?

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Trexie E.!

  • Real Estate Agent · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Jonathan W. I am not sure yet, I am trying to decide on a place.  I have pretty absurdly tight criteria, maybe as a local you can offer some advice.  I am originally from Houston, not much experience in the Dallas area.  PM me if you'd like to chat!  Would love to talk.

    Cheers,

    Josh

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 95 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Jonathan W.!

    I'm having a lot of luck with my multifamilies in DFW and things just keep getting better.  Educated yourself and pull the trigger when it feels right and you'll do great!

  • Turnkey Service Provider · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 135 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Jonathan W.

    Let me know if I can be of any help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.