New to REI and looking to build a strong foundation!

New to REI and looking to build a strong foundation!

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 5 votes

Hello everyone, I have just joined BP and I'm amazed with the amount of knowledge and experience being shared amongst the members. I initially intended to start investing in real-estate in 2007 and again in 2008 while deployed with the military but never pursued it. Eight years later I'm back with new found motivation. 

I have read RE-related books and taken a few classes regarding different aspects of real-estate but I need that hands-on experience. Originally from Austin, I have a rental property with low cash-flow in San Antonio, TX where I lived for a few years and I currently live in Hawaii where I'm looking to gain experience though the market here is a little harder to get into unlike the midwest IMO.

I'm looking to invest in Oahu, Kansas and Texas (Austin & San Antonio). What I've read from the forums is that you CAN do out-of-state investing if you have a good team at those locations. 

For Oahu it would be great if there is someone who loves to coach and mentor new investors by providing lessons learned and guidance. If anyone knows of any realtors that work with investors and has investment properties of their own that would be helpful.

If anyone has any recommendations for investors, contractors, lenders, realtors, property managers, title companies or anything else I need to be successful in San Antonio or Austin I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on moving back to Texas in a few years and it would be great if I could have a team-in-place when I arrive.

My business-partner is also in Hawaii and is looking into his home-state of Kansas if anyone has recommendations there as well.

It will take time to learn the ropes as I work full-time but once I'm moving forward please feel free to contact me if you are interested in Hawaii and I'll do whatever I can to help you while I'm here. I look forward to meeting the community and working together so we may help each other meet our goals.

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BorgerPro Member
Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 500 posts · 208 votes
10y

Aloha @Dan M. - the Hawaii scene is great. Jump in, learn your numbers and start marketing for deals. Most people falter because they don't realize marketing is 90% of the business. First American Title is great for handling all your deals.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site @Dan M.

    Good luck to you & I'll see you around the forums.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!  I'm in San Antonio, and we have an office in Austin as well, so there's coverage from Georgetown all the way to west San Antonio on the Medina County line.  Maybe I can help with these.

    I spent a week in Hawaii last November, Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the big Island.  Sheesh!  Prices are like Silicon Valley!  Good luck!

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

      Hello and welcome to BP!  I have never invested but I am from and raised in Dallas Texas.  I am 59 years old and I found BP about 6 months ago and I don't know what to do yet.  I got a college degree in business that emphasized real estate.  That same year that I graduated, in 1980, I got a broker license.  By the way, thank you for joining the service.  Regardless of what I had I felt more comfortable with the construction business.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  I believe that Texas will continue to be a good place to invest.  My father has been in real estate for about 35 years and I have learned a little bit from him.  I did a few deals for other people.  If you think that I can help you please contact me through BP at any time.  Good luck!

  • Jasmine C.Pro Member
    Real Estate Coach · Reno NV · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    welcome to BP. I live in Hawaii and invest out of state so it is possible. If you ever want to talk more about real estate message me. I am always trying to build my Hawaii real estate network. 

  • Michael BorgerPro Member
    Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 500 posts · 208 votes
    10y

    Aloha @Dan M. - the Hawaii scene is great. Jump in, learn your numbers and start marketing for deals. Most people falter because they don't realize marketing is 90% of the business. First American Title is great for handling all your deals.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you for the responses. @Robert Melcher, that's quite the coverage for central Texas, I'll will definitely reach out to you! The prices here are high so it is more difficult to jump into the market without investors from the start to help with a deal. 

    @Michael Lee, once I'm at a point where I am able to do something in Texas I'll probably have some questions on what it should cost to repair a home. 

    @Jasmine C., I'll connect with you!

    We haven't yet started marketing here in Hawaii @Michael Borger but we have done some farming in a one area where there appears to be a lot of potential. Hopefully we will receive some calls once we send out our letters. Thank you for the title company, that is the exact information that will help get this started.

    Again, thank you everyone for helping out a newb!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Boca Raton · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    hey @Dan M. 

    last night i had the pleasure of meeting some folks from Jet Lending, Renters warehouse, and fast track remodeling as well as others. they are all here on BP and they work in the Texas / houston area. would def be a great place to start talking and chatting with them. hope this helps. 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    Hey @Dan M. and welcome to BP! I would definitely reach out to @Chad Clanton. He is in SA and I believe he might be a able to provide great information about the local market and help you out. 

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Dan M. Hi and welcome.  I am new to the BP also.  I am here in Austin and know lenders, title, property managers and etc.  PM me if you have any specific questions.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Nikolas Ferreira, that will be a huge help. Did you meet everyone at your local REIA or something similar?

    @Naeem Kapasi, much appreciated! A home inspector AND an investor, you can't go wrong with your repair estimates with that combo. I was in your neck of the woods about six years ago (in Stockholm). I'm sure I'll make my way back to that area of the world one day.

    @Marivel Fortenberry, I'll definitely take you up on that offer! Thank you for helping out a new investor and hopefully in the future when I'm situated I can return the kindness.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Boca Raton · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    @Dan M. yes it was a event that was actually sponsored by jet lending. They have 1-2 events a month and it was great will def be going to the next one. 

  • Wholesaler · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi Dan,

    Yoni Levin from Austin here. I'm on my second round of listening to all the BP podcasts. What exactly are you looking for in central Texas? I work with everything from wholesalers to new home buyers. Feel free to reach out.

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello!  I am sorry it has taken to find this but I just found this option last night.  I would love to hear from you again.  Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.