Greetings From Southern California - New Investor

Greetings From Southern California - New Investor

Temecula , CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes

My parents exposed me to residential real estate investment at an early age through their rental property retirement vehicle. I am well versed in the conservative investment strategy they have adopted which can be defined chiefly by investment in Class A Property, and finding Class A Tenants. The painfully slow pace in which they grew their portfolio has turned me off from investing to date despite my understanding the benefits of holding real estate. Recently a friend recommended I read “How to Turn $5,000 into $1,000,000 in Real Estate,” by William Nickerson and upon completing the first chapter, the veil of ignorance was lifted as I was enlightened with a different real estate investment strategy characterized by significant portfolio growth over what I deem a short period (10 years). I now realize that real estate investment comprises numerous strategies and believe that BP is the perfect space to learn, deploy, and capitalize on these strategies. I have professional real estate experience from working in homebuilding with both public and private homebuilders, but no personal investing experience.

I currently have $20,000 in cash and a $100,000 equity line and am looking use both to build a portfolio of 8+ properties in southern California that generate $8,000 per month in passive income (and then quit my day Job!!!!). The value of real estate in my market makes entry challenging, and I am currently looking at 4-plexes in a C- market (Hemet, Riverside County). If anyone knows southern California and would like to chat please reach out.

1Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    I am local to south cal I do know the market. You are interested in Hemet for a 4 plex. Hemet in the downturn went down quite a bit. Have you checked around to see what type of new construction is on the books in the surrounding areas as well as the housing demand for the area? Curious on the 4 plex are looking a min of 2 bed plus?

  • Temecula , CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Jo-Ann, Hemet values did suffer from the downturn, but the rebound has not been as fast as other IE markets along the I-15 & I-215 corridors, which is one reason why I like the area.  I did some quick research to better answer your question and found that comparing Hemet peak values (2006) to 2015, resales are 65% of peak, and new home is 70% of peak.  I don't contend that we will ever reach 2006 numbers again, but I do believe that something bought inland that is only 65% of peak will incur 10% - 15% in appreciation as people become priced out of coastal markets and the demand moves east. Furthermore, because I can get these 4-plexes for $350K they generate solid cash flow at +/-$800 per unit per month in rent. 

    To answer your question on volume, resale activity is almost 3/4 of peak, but new home activity is less than 10%.  Affordability of resale in A/B inland markets (Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Corona, etc.) reduces new home demand in C inland markets because most buyers will choose to live in a in 10-15 yr-old home within a better market rather than buy new in a lesser market (ie Hemet, San Jacinto, Cochella Valley, etc.). The table below shows the data I pulled from Real Estate Economics. Please chime in on my assumptions.

    - Resale Resale New Home New Home
    Period Closings Price Closings Price
    2006 AVG 287 311,220 217 383,457
    2015 AVG 207 201,026 16 265,748
    Delta 80 110,194 202 117,709
    % of Peak 72.17% 64.59% 7.21% 69.30%

    Finally, yes, I am looking at units that are 2 bed 1 bath, with a few exceptions that include a second bath. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    10y

    I have a few c level properties that provide some nice cash flow (out of state) but much prefer my A class properties here in temecula - not far from Hemet.  With the amount of upkeep, maintenance, and general headache from lower income tenants, I much prefer my higher rated properties.  With nicer homes, tenants stay longer, maintain the property better, and overall pay the rent on time in full every month. 

    I have a few properties I manage in Hemet and San Jacinto, and they require so much repair in between tenants, I am amazed.  Also the rents a so much lower than just 40 miles away in better areas. 

    My opinion,  buy one -two homes in a nicer area, vs 3-5 in a lower income/ high crime/ higher unemployment one.  Put as little down as you can and watch the properties appreciate.

    Rents in Temecula have risen quite a bit,  I haven't increased anyone in Hemet in 4 years... Just my 2 cents.  :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.