New Investor from Newton, MA

8 Replies

Hey everyone,

My name is Kevin from Newton, MA. I graduated from UMass Amherst two years ago and am currently working as a Software Developer in Boston. My first two years out of school I was focused on paying off my loans and using the spare money I had to invest in stocks. My return on investment in stocks have not done that well and I've come to realize that I need/want to invest my money in something that can generate more of a passive income.

During the past month I've been reading a ton of real estate books (including The Book On Rental Property Investing) during my morning and evening commutes to and from work. I am particularly interested in the buy and hold strategy because I think that sort of investment fits my lifestyle. I've been looking at a ton of single family/condos in certain areas around Boston just to get an idea of how much things cost in certain areas.

My plan for the next half year-year is to save up as much as I can and hopefully buy a single family house or condo that can generate me a cashflow of $200/month.

A month ago I knew absolutely nothing about real estate. This is the beginning of the journey for me and I am excited to be joining the BiggerPockets community! I would love to connect/chat with anyone around the area!

Kevin

Welcome kevin

I been investing in real estate for 7 years. Let me know if you have any questions. I also live in newton, have the same last name, and I graduated from UMass Amherst too (Unfortunately not 2 yrs ago.) Good luck with your journey 

Hey Kevin, welcome to BP! I'm in a similar boat as you, as Im working my first job and want to build a stream of passive income. I'v been at this for nearly half a year now, studying/reading and saving, so I am nearly ready to pull the trigger on my first multi family. Funny enough I'm also from Umass Amherst. Anyway, looks like me, you and @Jason Li all have this Newton/Umass/Real Estate connection. Hopefully I'll catch you guys around the site and maybe in town. 

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property

@Kevin Lee welcome to BP! My family has been very successful with the buy and hold rental strategy in the Boston area for over 80 years we have 24 units in Cambridge generating more than 50k per month and more in Somerville and Medford too. If you want any help or advice feel free to reach out and also check out Boston Wealth Builders I'm actually going to be speaking at our investing 101 meeting tomorrow at 1pm. It's free and a great learning and networking tool. Wish you the best!

@Jason Li - Wooohoo!! Was wondering if there would be any BP members on this forum from Newton, but I never guessed we would all be alumni from the same school as well. I will definitely let you know if I have any questions! I am sure I will have plenty :)

@Lior Rozhansky Thats what I like to hear! Please let me know how your first real estate investment goes. I hear that is always the most memorable one for most people!

@Taylor Johnson Wow! Thats amazing. I will definitely be reaching out for some advice and I will check out Boston Wealth Builders as well. I've never heard of it but I will find out more! 

@Yatznira Rodriguez Thanks!

And once again thank you all for the very warm welcome. It feels amazing knowing that through my first post on BP I have this type of support and people who are willing to give advice to someone like me. Very excited to see where this takes me!

Welcome to BP!

Its a wonderful place to learn as much as you can. I am honored to be a part of it and wanted to wish you the very best of luck, I am always around the Cambridge, Belmont, Watertown, Newton area and I am happy to get a cup of tea or coffee any time.

Keep shining!

Hi Kevin, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have. My favorite is the Black Diamond meeting in Waltham (alternates every other month with their Worcester location, next Waltham meeting is May). Other ones in and around the city are The Boston Wealth Builders in the city, the Boston Area REIA in Medford and the Boston REIA in Dedham and the previously mentioned Boston Wealth Builders. Many other options north and south of the city as well.

Welcome @Kevin Lee

I am also looking to purchase my first property in the very near future.. BP is a great place to learn. I am looking to invest in Worcester county and surrounding areas. Take a listen to the BP podcasts , the information is very practical and helpful. I listen to them on my way to work- 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you