New to Bp / first time sale and getting taxed ?

New to Bp / first time sale and getting taxed ?

Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello just found out about Bp and looking forward to using it, also just made my first ever sale and stoked ! I am however worried about getting taxed on my duplex I just sold I owner occupied it the whole time and rented it the whole time what should I expect at the end of the year ? 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Writer | Attorney | Accountant · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 150 posts · 116 votes
10y

Congratulations.

You'll have to find someone who understands tax accounting, a bookkeeper/accountant/tax attorney, and just sit down and run through the numbers.  As you do, take notes, and I suggest that before you do another investment, have a plan for dealing with the taxation.

In every deal I have ever done, taxation was one of the three or four decision factors for buying, selling, holding, etc.  It can represent 30% of your bottom line.  You need to pro forma the tax situation before you even buy.  You can make money without knowing the tax situation.  But you can make a lot more money by understanding the tax aspect.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    10y

    Hello @Alexander Martinez and let me be the first to welcome you to BP. BP is a great place to network with other investors. It's also a great place to get real estate information by using the free online videos and forums on this site. You came to the right place and I wish you all the best. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site @Alexander Martinez

    If you sold it for a profit you could expect to pay capital gains taxes.

  • Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    If I am RE investing into another property does that change anything ? And I have also read or heard of you live there for more than a certain time you can exclude up to a certain amount ? I was positive on the deal and ended up with money on my bank .
  • Writer | Attorney | Accountant · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 150 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    Congratulations.

    You'll have to find someone who understands tax accounting, a bookkeeper/accountant/tax attorney, and just sit down and run through the numbers.  As you do, take notes, and I suggest that before you do another investment, have a plan for dealing with the taxation.

    In every deal I have ever done, taxation was one of the three or four decision factors for buying, selling, holding, etc.  It can represent 30% of your bottom line.  You need to pro forma the tax situation before you even buy.  You can make money without knowing the tax situation.  But you can make a lot more money by understanding the tax aspect.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · North Bergen, NJ · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Alexander Martinez!  There are a couple of issues to consider here:

    • The income you received from your tenant is taxable and needs to be filed using Form 1040
    • What was the price you paid for the house vs. what you sold it for
    • How long did you live in the house
    • Did you make any capital improvements to the house

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Damien, • The income you received from your tenant is taxable and needs to be filed using Form 1040 / that has been done every year. • What was the price you paid for the house vs. what you sold it for / bought duplex for 270 sold for 375 • How long did you live in the house / owned for 8 years • Did you make any capital improvements / put in a lot of upgrades on both sides most due to repairs , no huge additions , massive amounts of landscaping and dirt work, which I know are not capital improvements - so no
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.