New to Bigger Pockets from Las Vegas, Nevada.

New to Bigger Pockets from Las Vegas, Nevada.

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community. I am new to these forums but excited to be here as I see there is a ton of quality information on this website for learning about real estate investing. A little about myself I am 23 years old living in Las Vegas, NV. I currently work as a Mailman with USPS. I never thought about being an investor until this past year in my life and have decided it is a necessity. 

Some of my goals are -

Buy my first property within 12 months. (House Hack or rental property I don't know, maybe even a flip to raise capital?) 

5 year goals - Acquire 10 units with positive cash flow.

10 year goals - Have enough residual income to choose to work or not to work. 

I currently struggle with deciding what to major in college or to not get a degree at all. I only have around 24 credits but have been going part time. The reason I would want a college degree would be to get a more "enjoyable" career to use those earnings to invest into real estate. Problems I see with this is paying for college myself, while trying to save money for investments. This seems kind of counter productive but could be better for my future in the long run. My other idea is to stay with the post office and work on getting my realtor license. This would be to start working as a real estate agent part time as I start to learn this business and network with people in the business. Tell everyone I am an investor and constantly seek people who are more successful than myself who are in the business. I currently live with my parents and am saving all my earnings so I can invest in my first property. I hate living at home and would love to just go get an apartment but I don't want to throw away the money and I have been saving enough for a conventional loan.

I know I have a lot of ideas running through my head and it is hard to make a decision on where to start because I don't know what the best path is. I hope on bigger pockets to learn from others, and get advice from people who are already doing what I want to do. I also hope to gain some clarity in my strategy and start applying and taking action on the things I have learned rather that sitting around forever.

Looking forward to networking with everyone here! :)

-Mason Marin

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
10y

welcome...keep going in the direction you're on. Keep reading and studying. You can do all the things you're thinking about and keep your job. Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    welcome...keep going in the direction you're on. Keep reading and studying. You can do all the things you're thinking about and keep your job. Good luck.

  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Mason Marin Welcome to BP! There is so much great information on this website. Good Luck!
  • Real Estate Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2012 · 240 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    Welcome to the world of Real Estate Investing and the many opportunities available to you. You made the first step in connecting on the largest social network specifically for the Real Estate Investing industry. Take the time to explore all the resources available to you.

    Networking is how to succeed in this space and as such I wanted to give you an open invitation to feel free to reach out to me at any time. I am located in the Northern Nevada market and doing buy and hold, wholesale and fix and flips…

    Best of luck with your Real Estate Investing Career.

  • Henderson, NV · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Question for Mason.  An experienced flipper on a podcast I heard suggested approaching mailmen (and women) and basically recruiting them to work for you by offering a commission for any leads they might provide that lead to a home purchase.  Since you folks spend your days driving and walking neighborhoods and could definitely provide info on homes that are rehab candidates it makes sense.  Is this possible? thanks and good luck

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Randy Johnson & @Alisha Wagner for the support. 

    Thank you @Tim Farrell for the contact number! Maybe one day it will come into good use, I appreciate that. 

    @Joel Fischer Hey Joel, I could see contacting mailmen possibly generating leads to house purchases since the individual mailman would know what houses are vacant on their route, how long they have been vacant, and noticing houses that go up for sale etc on their route. Most mailman carry on the same neighborhoods and streets every single day though so outside of their regular streets that they deliver on every day I don't think they would really notice. So the lead generation may be limited. 

  • Henderson, NV · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    thanks Mason

  • Retired · Las Vegas/Henderson, NV · Member since 2010 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Welcome Mason,

    Wish you all the best,  this is a process to enjoy for the rest of your life.

  • North Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Hello Mason,

    Welcome! It's great that you are already interested at your age. Listen to the podcasts, they are great for acquiring information and inspiration! I live in Las Vegas as well and still a beginner also. I am learning a lot and this site is great for networking!  Keep it up and hopefully we'll be able to work together one day!

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Antony S. thanks for the support!

    @Cindy Lamug Thank you! Never too young or old to start in real estate people say. The podcasts have definitely been amazing so far! So many of them for me to catch up on. Thanks for the support and yes who knows we may work together some day. 

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    @Cindy Lamug  @Mason Marin are either of you up for setting up a meeting just to talk about what our goals are? Kind of like a mini mastermind group? I say we get ice cream at the Dairy Queen on Craig and Rancho around 5pm tonight in North Las Vegas. Anyone else is welcome to come as well obviously. I'll be there so shoot me a PM if this is something you're available to do! I hope to meet you tonight! 

  • atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    My name Chad Kagen! Keep going in the bearing you're on. Continue perusing. You can do every one of the things you're contemplating and keep your employment. All the best.

    Thanks

    Chad Kagen

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Mason Marin welcome to BP! Best/first thing to do is get educated. Read read read! Read books on investing in real estate, listen to the podcasts, attend webinars and stay active on the forums while connecting with other investors in your area and pick a niche. Best of luck!

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Joe Ellis Thanks for the invite I have a lot going on this week but I'm sure we'll meet at one of the bigger pockets events sooner than later. I'll see you around here on BP. 

    @Chad Kagen Nice to meet you Chad, thanks for your support!

    @Ayodeji Kuponiyi Yes! Currently finishing the book Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, lots of good information, and have a lot of podcasts to catch up on. I take longer than most I think to read these books but I like taking a lot of notes because what good is the reading if I won't remember or have nothing to look back on right? Thanks for your input! 

    I appreciate everyone that has came onto this forum and chimed in, just shows that there is a lot of potential here on BP.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Hi Mason Marin ! Welcome to BP. It sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I'm also 23 and attempting to find my way through real estate investing. I'd say getting your real estate license is a great idea. I just passed the exam last Saturday and I'm positive you could do the same. Feel free to reach out if you ever get a chance. Best of luck!
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Jorge Lancerio Nice to meet you Jorge. What kind of investing are you looking to get into? Congratulations on passing the exam, may I ask you how long did it take you to prepare? What schooling did you go through? I'd like to hear some of your goals, why you decided to become a realtor, and how it goes for you as you get started.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Mason Marin I'm look into buy and hold single family rentals for the time being. I'd like to get into multi-family properties in the future, but I'm not sure if that's realistic in the near-term given how congested the Las Vegas market is. I think BRRR might be the avenue that allows me the most success for now.

    It took me about three months to prepare for the exam. I went through Kaplan self-directed study which consists of reading through a textbook for the most part. I think it could have taken much less time if I had the time to focus on it exclusively. 

    Becoming an agent is a great resource for investing in my opinion. Access to the MLS, savings on commissions, being able to negotiate directly with other agents, etc. Obviously it's tough to replace the experience of a seasoned agent, but I think benefits outweigh the costs.

    What about you? How'd you get interested in real estate?

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP Mason. Sounds like you're on the right track. Personally I think of BP as the gateway to all that is REI. Never ending fountain of information. As an investor and an Investor Friendly Agent myself, I frequent investor meet-up's, classes, dinners, gathering etc. Let me know if you'd like to join along sometime? Or questions in general. Happy to help.
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Jorge Lancerio Yeah Multi-family property interests me a lot as well. Being able to acquire more units in one purchase and yielding more cash flow would be ideal. I got interested in real estate after a friend suggested I read Rich Dad Poor Dad. When I was 21-22 I had no vision in life didn't ever think of being able to build wealth. As Kiyosaki says you have to be an investor or a business owner to build wealth. Can't live in the Employee quadrant or the Self employed quadrant. So it became clear I needed to put my money to work for me somehow, stocks seem boring, and real estate seems something that can keep my interest. Have you bought your first investment property yet? I hope to take action sooner rather than later I'm just still in the knowledge process and trying to make connections.

    @Ali Worthen Thank you for your support! Yeah I would love to join along sometime. I am always open to networking and learning things from others. Thank you for your offer!

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Mason Marin, PM me, and I'll send the invite. Looking forward to meeting you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2009 · 141 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    @Mason Marin,

    Great goals, and you have a great head on your shoulders, staying at home while you save money for a down payment on a couple of properties is brilliant!  That takes some discipline, but if you can get a couple of rental properties that cash flow enough to cover your own apartment then that's a great time to move into your own place!  A college degree will be expensive (I have one) and if you are only doing it to get a job you like better (it might not pay better than being a mailman) then that's probably not a great idea if you love real estate.  

    Real estate can make you a lot more money than most careers.  Take an aptitude test, try the real estate license, earn some extra money part time and save those commissions for down payments.  Being a real estate agent won't make you the money that investing will if you do it right, but it gives you access and makes you more education.

    I'm glad to help, having started much like you.  We might even be able to speed up your education process and help you find a great cash flow deal.  There is a lot to learn and you should start small.  Read Cash Flow Quadrant, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Real Estate Advantages.  

    I have market data that compares all of the markets across the country and am glad to share helpful information,

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mason Marin:

    Hello BiggerPockets community. I am new to these forums but excited to be here as I see there is a ton of quality information on this website for learning about real estate investing. A little about myself I am 23 years old living in Las Vegas, NV. I currently work as a Mailman with USPS. I never thought about being an investor until this past year in my life and have decided it is a necessity. 

    Some of my goals are -

    Buy my first property within 12 months. (House Hack or rental property I don't know, maybe even a flip to raise capital?) 

    5 year goals - Acquire 10 units with positive cash flow.

    10 year goals - Have enough residual income to choose to work or not to work. 

    I currently struggle with deciding what to major in college or to not get a degree at all. I only have around 24 credits but have been going part time. The reason I would want a college degree would be to get a more "enjoyable" career to use those earnings to invest into real estate. Problems I see with this is paying for college myself, while trying to save money for investments. This seems kind of counter productive but could be better for my future in the long run. My other idea is to stay with the post office and work on getting my realtor license. This would be to start working as a real estate agent part time as I start to learn this business and network with people in the business. Tell everyone I am an investor and constantly seek people who are more successful than myself who are in the business. I currently live with my parents and am saving all my earnings so I can invest in my first property. I hate living at home and would love to just go get an apartment but I don't want to throw away the money and I have been saving enough for a conventional loan.

    I know I have a lot of ideas running through my head and it is hard to make a decision on where to start because I don't know what the best path is. I hope on bigger pockets to learn from others, and get advice from people who are already doing what I want to do. I also hope to gain some clarity in my strategy and start applying and taking action on the things I have learned rather that sitting around forever.

    Looking forward to networking with everyone here! :)

    -Mason Marin

     Welcome and awesome goals. Stay at your job do not leave. Number one mistake folks make is they going to make it big quick in this business. Real estate wealth in most cases takes years to acquire and pay down debt. This does and can happen sooner.

    Goals ( plan of attack)

    Education

    Financial picture ( get in order )

    take small steps not big leaps

    Just my two cents ask away if I can help.

    Alex

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Ali Worthen Looking forward to meeting you as well. Well send them PM now!

    @Jared Garfield Thank you Jared for your input and support! Rich Dad Poor Dad was actually the first book I read that changed my mindset about money and I know all about the Quadrants I want to be in the B and I quadrant not the E and S my whole life. I will check out Real Estate Advantages! I'm almost finished with my current book "The Millionare Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller and I have found it very informative.

    Also thank you for your input on the aptitude test and realtors license. My idea right now is to continue working as a mailman, possibly find another part time job to save more money for down payments, and learn as much as I can until I am ready to purchase my first property. I believe being young my chance to take risk for my future is now. I can always fall back to a "j o b" and education at any point in life.

    I would appreciate any help large or small, I would love to educate myself as much as possible and find a great cash flowing deal within the next year. Thanks Again.

    @Alex Franks Thanks for your input! I have no desire to leave my job, just developing as you said my "plan of attack" and educating. I completely agree about taking small steps not big leaps, I am not in this to get rich quick. I know it takes time to build wealth and a strong portfolio of assets. Thanks for stopping by I appreciate it! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.