Newbie from Chantilly, Virginia (DC Metro area)

Newbie from Chantilly, Virginia (DC Metro area)

Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone! I am at the beginning of my REI journey from Washington DC Metro area. I have one rental property that does very well that I acquired more as a hobby awhile back. Now I am working on building my strategy to become a full time real estate investor. I look forward to learn more, network, hopefully make some long term business partners and possibly even friends. Life is a never-ending learning journey :-))

3Reply
19 views

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    10y

    Hi! @Eva Karnaukh Welcome to BP.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi @Eva Karnaukh - welcome! Best of luck to you as you go full-time into investing. There is a ton of good info here on BP.

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Eva Karnaukh welcome to BP, and congratulations on taking the steps to up your game in real estate. Just by doing that you are ahead of the majority of people who sit around and do nothing.  Where is your first rental located?

  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hey! Thank you for the warm welcoming! My rental is in Chantilly / Fairfax border line in a developing neighborhood. I am now exploring opportunities to acquire more properties in the surrounding area. 

  • Manassas, VA · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    Hi! Welcome to BP

  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi neighbour :-)) Thank you for the welcoming note. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    Welcome Eva Karnaukh I live in Centreville near Westfield HS. Glad to meet other neighbors! There's a bunch of great meetups in the area. Hope to meet at one of them!
  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Thank you, @Carson Sweezy. I've visited some, but most were just sales traps for some folks who knew little to none about the RE. I am curious which one you are going to? Could you make some suggestions?
  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    To answer your question, Brandon L. , my property is in Chantilly /Fairfax County Virginia, and it's been doing great. I bough it about 6 years ago at almost 20% discount and have good positive cash flow... it's a TH, and everything would've been great but the HOA is constantly trying to kill it. Each year I fight with them over the stupid things.... Cars parked at "an angle " on a driveway, paint of the gutters is outdated, oversized sofa not allowed on the deck.. You name it...! Now I am looking to buy another property and I am stuck with the dilemma .. To buy another TH and deal with another HOA AND higher vacancy $ impact OR deal with multi family, same HOA headache but lower vacancy $ impact.. But I've never seen anything larger than duplex in our DMV area. My realtor is telling me that it is close to impossible to get a hold of a duplex... Most bough all cash between investors and rarely even goes on a market. Do you have any experience on this? Anyone from this area, could you share some thoughts?
  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Eva Karnaukh, welcome to BP. I actually just signed up yesterday. I'm living in Fairfax and putting in offers on my first home. I'd like to tag along to this conversation to see where it goes. I have concerns that Fairfax County isn't the best place for real estate investment, especially starting out without much captital to fall back on.

    To your mention about duplexes, I did a search a few days ago and there was 1 in Alexandria, they seem pretty rare here. I've been branching out looking near some of the other cities in Virginia looking for a good deal.

    I haven't been to any meetups here but I'd like find find one that isn't a trap, as you put it.

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Eva Karnaukh! I'm down the road in Tysons, VA.

    Hopefully you see a light at the end of the tunnel with your HOA struggles!

    I personally haven't invested in northern VA yet, but I've sent out a lot of mail and man is it tricky to find good deals within the beltway.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    Eva Karnaukh most are sales traps! I go to Capital REI which meets in Fairfax each month. They don't have any products to sell, it's strictly networking and learning from other investors. Typically a topic is chosen, and a guest speaker that specializes in that topic presents on the subject (1031 exchanges, large multifamilies investing, lead generation, to name a few). Our office is actually hosting the next event on July 28th, and we have an event tonight for newbie investors. We will be analyzing a case study of an investment property within Fairfax county. Tonight's event is free, the more the merrier! 11202 Lee Hwy Suite B2, Fairfax, Va 22030 from 7-9pn
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y
    Welcome to bigger pockets
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    Nice to have excellent representation from Northern Va area..  Welcome to BP @Eva Karnaukh

  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Carson Sweezy Thank you. I am actually planning to come to that one tonight. Thanks for the insight :-)
  • Loganville, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    welcome to bigger pockets

  • Manassas, VA · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Welcome!

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 190 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Welcome. I'm down in Stafford.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.