New member in Northern IL: Interested in surrounding areas.

New member in Northern IL: Interested in surrounding areas.

Process Engineer · Rochelle, IL · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 16 votes

Hi all,

Just moved to Rochelle IL with my wife Cassie, and looking into investing in small multifamily units in the surrounding areas and house hacking in Rochelle. These will be to buy and hold for cash-flow. Three to six month time frame for our first purchase and 12-18 months on second. We're both chemical engineers and have busy but well paying jobs. The catch is that we both have to drive 45 mins to/from work. Rochelle is the geographic middle between our two jobs.

Not as much opportunity in Rochelle (pop 10,000) but I'm:

15 mins from Dekalb

25 mins from Rockford Adjacent

45 mins from Naperville/Aurora

45 mins from LaSalle/Peru (Cassie's work location)

1 hour from Janesville/Beloit (My work location)

We're open to cast a wider net if the opportunity arises.

Currently we're saving approximately $5,000 every two months for down payments and listening to the BP podcasts on our commutes. We've read the BP Books on Rental Property Investing and Managing Rental Properties and I have just started reading the Millionaire Real Estate Investor.

Our goal is to be financially free in 20 years, and use real estate as part of our investment portfolio to achieve that.

I’m glad to have joined the BP community, and look forward to learning and helping out whenever we can. 

Len Roche

1Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Len Roche!  

    Sounds like you have a good strategy to meet your goals.  I live, work, and invest in the Rockford area so let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

    Craig

  • Process Engineer · Rochelle, IL · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Thanks Craig, 

    I looked up your profile and the locations you work in and I would be interested investing in the area for the right opportunities.  If you're free we can definitely talk some more about what the Rockford area has to offer. 

    Len Roche

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.