I have been a BP member for awhile... Time to take advantage

I have been a BP member for awhile... Time to take advantage

Patrick BarkerPro Member
Saint Marys, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes

Hey community,

I have been one of those BP members who signs up but never gets involved, it is time to start venturing out into the online world for advice and encouragement. I work in Jacksonville, FL but live and invest in Camden County, Ga. My focus is on Rental properties and have completed the BRRRR strategy once so for with hopefully many more to come!

2Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 22 votes
9y

@Patrick Barker There are lots out there in Jax.  I like the Arlington area in Jax.  Lots of $50-70k rehab homes that needs 10k and appraise around 100k and rent for 900-1100.  I have done several myself and 9 this year for a friend/client.  He purchased 3 last month.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    Hi @Patrick Barker, 

    Welcome to the BP community! Congrats on your success and all the best on the next one.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    Good deal @Patrick Barker

    Any lessons learned you'd like to share? I'm currently looking to get started via that strategy.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Patrick Barker There are lots out there in Jax.  I like the Arlington area in Jax.  Lots of $50-70k rehab homes that needs 10k and appraise around 100k and rent for 900-1100.  I have done several myself and 9 this year for a friend/client.  He purchased 3 last month.

  • Patrick BarkerPro Member
    OP
    Saint Marys, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Amber Koontz I spent about a year and a half listening to podcasts and reading books on real estate while I saved up, once I finally had enough to pull the trigger I jumped in before the fear of taking on such a big project paralyzed me.  It wasn't the best investment in the world but I am really happy with it.  I have learned an incredible amount by doing most of the reno myself as well as landlord myself, Iv'e learned more in the 6 months of doing than the 18 months of studying!

    @Aaron Cooper Thanks for the insight! I have been looking in the Jacksonville area because that is where my wife and I would like to move to in the coming years.  Have you held on to any or are they all flips?  If so, how has the turnover been and have the tenants been good at paying on time?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Patrick Barker That timeline's just about in sync with mine. I've listened to podcasts, read books (still), and saved up. I look to acquire a property this year. It's time to make that leap!

    Wishing you much success in your real estate career.

  • Wholesaler · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2016 · 328 posts · 98 votes
    9y
    Patrick Barker Welcome to the club! I was looking into MFR in Camden County recently. Feel free to PM me if you want to collaborate on any deals.
  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Patrick Barker.

    I am flipping and holding in the Jacksonville area, but reside in Charlton County. I am in Camden often. If you want to meet up sometime and talk shop, let me know.

  • Patrick BarkerPro Member
    OP
    Saint Marys, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Tony Figurelli I'd love to meet up whenever you venture through Camden, just let me know when you are in town.  I also work over by Jax beach so i am able to meet up during the week in Jax as well.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    9y

    @Patrick Barker Welcome to BP and that great news that you're in a better place. Best/first thing to do is get educated. Read read read! Read books on investing in real estate, listen to the podcasts, attend webinars and stay active on the forums while connecting with other investors in your area and pick a niche. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Barker:

    @Amber Koontz I spent about a year and a half listening to podcasts and reading books on real estate while I saved up, once I finally had enough to pull the trigger I jumped in before the fear of taking on such a big project paralyzed me.  It wasn't the best investment in the world but I am really happy with it.  I have learned an incredible amount by doing most of the reno myself as well as landlord myself, Iv'e learned more in the 6 months of doing than the 18 months of studying!

    @Aaron Cooper Thanks for the insight! I have been looking in the Jacksonville area because that is where my wife and I would like to move to in the coming years.  Have you held on to any or are they all flips?  If so, how has the turnover been and have the tenants been good at paying on time?

     personally I only do buy and hold, flips right now are a little too risky for my taste.  I have a pm company and we manage about 160 homes we might end up with 1 eviction a year and maybe 1 or 2 people who have to hold back their entire deposit.  the market has been very strong and it usually is not hard finding good tenants.  as for payments, about 95% pay on time, i have a handful of tenant who seem to always be a little late. 

  • Patrick BarkerPro Member
    OP
    Saint Marys, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    It is encouraging to hear arlington is a good market.  People, who aren't in real estate, often tell me arlington isn't a safe area.  I would love to start investing in that area if possible sine I work in Jax and Jax beach is where I would like to end up.  What are your PM company fees for managing?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Aaron Cooper Those numbers are astounding, you have a well oiled machine working!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.