Newbie from Chicago and looking for likeminded people to network!

Newbie from Chicago and looking for likeminded people to network!

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes

Write your post

Hello BP! My name is Tushar, and I live in Chicago, Downtown. As a brief introduction I work for Ernst and Young under the Transaction Advisory practice and I value businesses for a living. I recently bought my first condo in Chicago downtown which is currently my primary residence and am looking for avenues for passive income by buying rental properties and perhaps a multi unit complex in Chicago area.

Since learning about BP, I have been totally hooked to it, I been hearing all podcasts on way to and back from work and do my best to attend the awesome webinars every Wednesday. One of my goals is to be a guest on podcast on the BP showcasing my portfolio of assets and how I escaped the rat race.  

I wanted to check if someone is aware of a good REI networking club in downtown Chicago, please do let me know. I did attend couple of them but both turned out to be marketing seminar with someone selling their real estate courses.

Also, if any newbies in Chicago wanna network and meet up over a coffee, again give me a shout and me can network.

Go Cubs!

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 71 votes
9y

Welcome! Chicago is a great place to invest in. I have done most of my investing in the south side of Chicago to gather cash flow and am now looking in the north side or western suburbs for a larger deal now. Would love to connect here with like minded folks

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    Welcome Tushar!  I lived in both River North and South Loop for a while.  But now I live out in Irving Park and am investing in Irving Park and Edgewater.  Let me know if you'd like to discuss real estate, Chicago neighborhoods, or anything about investing in general.  

    Go Cubs Go!  

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hi Tushar, I'm also a new investor in Chicago. I was just at a REIA meeting at the Holiday Inn over on Harrison this week. I work downtown. If you ever want to grab lunch let me know.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Sure that would be great. How was the REIA meeting?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Burdick Thanks Jeff. What returns are you currently getting in

    Irving Park and Edgewater? What strategy do you generally follow. If you even in downtown - do give me a shout we can grab a coffee and discuss REI.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    The meeting was interesting. They discussed flipping vs buy and hold and how to use both methods to support the buying of rental properties and paying them off for maximum cash flow.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Burdick Are you investing in homes, 2-4 units or condos in Irving Park?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    Welcome! Chicago is a great place to invest in. I have done most of my investing in the south side of Chicago to gather cash flow and am now looking in the north side or western suburbs for a larger deal now. Would love to connect here with like minded folks

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hello Alex im from chicago just getting into wholesaleing 

    Im on the southside of chicago  lets make it happen.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Edward Porter If you have any deals, I'd love the opportunity to take a look at them.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Burdick @Alex Bok - are any of you guys free to grab coffee over the next few weeks to discuss thoughts on real estate investing strategy & specific sub-markets within Chicago?  Like Tushar - I'm a newbie investor in Chicago with just 2 rentals, but looking to get in some more.  Just discovered BP and really love some of the content here.

    Send me a PM and we can coordinate.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tushar Shah:

    @Jeff Burdick Thanks Jeff. What returns are you currently getting in

    Irving Park and Edgewater? What strategy do you generally follow. If you even in downtown - do give me a shout we can grab a coffee and discuss REI.

     I generally try to add value to the properties.  I particularly look for properties with unfinished space(generally basements and/or attics) that has good ceiling height.  I also look for property that are solid structurally, have good mechanics, but need cosmetic upgrades.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Hip Rodriguez:

    @Jeff Burdick Are you investing in homes, 2-4 units or condos in Irving Park?

     I have a 2 flat with a garden unit in Irving Park.   

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Alex Bok Thanks for getting in touch Alex. I live in South Loop and I did heat great opportunities in south side Chicago. Do let me know if you free in the next week or so and we can meet our coffee or a drink after work hours. Would love to hear the deals you done and the lessons you learnt on the way.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Hip Rodriguez Hey Hip, if you free for coffee over the next week we can catch up. I work at 155 North Wacker Drive. If you around, we can meet at Starbucks hear by.

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y
    Tushar Shah welcome to BP. So you are looking to acquire rentals on the north side? With any investing in IL watch out for the taxes and tax exemptions because those could kill deals. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, go SOX lol
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tushar Shah

    You have come to the right place to connect with the wide array of real estate professionals and investors. Make sure to view the Bigger Pockets book store: https://www.biggerpockets.com/store

  • Morton Grove, IL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi Guys, I am from the northside of Chicago as well and looking to network with like minded investors and newcomers. A lot of the REI events are marketing seminars and I want to network with actual investors not people selling an MLM investing scam.

  • Real Estate Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 66 votes
    9y

    Sign me up too! I've lived in River North for the past 10 years. I'm an active RE investor and I've recently been targeting judicial sales. I don't want to waste my time with any sort of sales pitch meetings and would be very interested in finding a good quality REI group. If anyone wants to meet one on one and chat real estate, I'm always available for coffee as well.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Tushar Shah

    I'm open for coffee sometime this week. I'm over by Madison and Dearborn. Send me a PM. If anyone else would like to grab some coffee please join us.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    9y

    @Tushar Shah I am in West Loop. Welcome to BP, an amazing place where you'll find like-minded people.  

    I don't run an investment group. However, I teach free RE investing seminars monthly, and I have my first one this Saturday in Lincoln Park if you are interested.  What I am teaching it's how to amass quickly a number of RE properties with low down payments and positive cash flow, which is what you seem to be interested in. Let me know if you are interested in attending.

    You got it right, holding RE long term and cash flow is the best way to escape the rat race.

    Good luck in your new endeavor! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Thanks Lumi. How ling is the seminar? Is this there likes a sales thing at the end trying to sell you some course?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    9y

    @Tushar Shah , there is no sale pitch. I teach people how to break in Real Estate and I have a lender that sponsors the breakfast.  After the seminar, if anyone wants to use the lender's services or mine is welcome to do so. There are no requirements!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 73 votes
    9y
    Hey Tushar Shah ! I am also in the Chicago market. I work with a great team and also have my license. Also - my kid brother just got a job with EY (starting after he graduates) and he will be dealing with transfer transactions. Small world !
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Jaclyn McClellan - small world indeed Jaclyn. I am sure your kid brother is going to love the experience. Have you done any investments on your own? Any ideas on what neighbourhoods a newbie should focus on?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    @Tushar Shah we are focused more northside - portage park, jefferson park, irving park, forest glen. Are you trying to do more buy and hold or fix and flip?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.