Hi! I'm Mary from San Diego

Hi! I'm Mary from San Diego

Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes

Hi all!

I am new to real estate investing and I'm here to learn and connect. I am a wholesaler in San Diego and I'm looking to connect with investors in my area. 

I am currently wholesaling to gain capital so I can start investing in multifamily homes and commercial properties in the future. I'm looking forward to learning more about investing from you all.

Nice to Virtually Meet Everyone!

Mary Carlson

5Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

Welcome! Have you considered getting your RE license and working as a commercial RE agent? ... that would be an excellent way to go given what you have stated your goals to be.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Mary and best of luck investing!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 46 votes
    9y
    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I wish you all the success in this tough SD market.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Mary Carlson welcome to the site. Feel free to add me to your list when you get any leads available.
  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Joe Sherman Thank you! Will do!

  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Syrios Thank you!

    @Adam Nishikawa Thank you!

  • Lender · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson Welcome to BP!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Welcome! It is a great community. You will learn a lot.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 290 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson Welcome to BP! Also add me to your list for any wholesale deals. I'd also recommend checking out your local REIA to meet established wholesalers and investors. Best of luck.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome! Have you considered getting your RE license and working as a commercial RE agent? ... that would be an excellent way to go given what you have stated your goals to be.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 283 posts · 179 votes
    9y
    Welcome Mary Carlson ! Which part of Texas are you coming from? I just moved to San Diego a few months ago myself.
  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Logan Turner Hi! I'm from Mission, TX. It is by South Padre Island and Mexico :)
  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    David Faulkner Yes I've been thinking about getting my license. I currently have a full time job working for the government but I'm ready to quit and do real estate investing full time.
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson

    Welcome to the BP family! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    Wishing you the best!

  • Mc Leansville, NC · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Relocated to North Carolina after 40 years in California. First in San Diego County at Escondido in 1947. Daughter graduated from UCSD in 84. Be happy to look at any wholesale properties you find. If you can get one under 60-day option contract with right to assign (Every offer contract should include "and assignees"] following your name as the offering party. That option contract will do if you transmit it quickly so we have time to move it. DO NOT BE AFRAID to outline high costs for rehabbing to current code -- complete new wiring, plumbing, 100% new drywall, ceilings and floors, windows and doors, kitchens and baths --- porches, landscape-- are not cheap. If the 30-day sale after listing comparable price in the immediate area is $320,000. Rehab costs can be set at $65,000. The top price for a wholesaler will be no more than $160,000.  $320K  minus $60K = $260,000 minus $65,000 repair costs equal $195,000. As a wholesaler, you need at least $10,000 for your time. That leaves $40-$50,000 for the actual rehabber in return for assuming a quarter million risk. 

    That rehabber gets two days from closing a sale and the house burns -- Even with construction insurance -- he may just break even or actually lose $50,000+.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y

    Welcome to the BP community Mary. There's lots of useful stuff and people here.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson

    You have come to the right place to connect with the wide array of real estate professionals and investors. Make sure to view the Bigger Pockets book store: https://www.biggerpockets.com/store

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mary Carlson:

    David Faulkner Yes I've been thinking about getting my license. I currently have a full time job working for the government but I'm ready to quit and do real estate investing full time.

    Good for you ... in the meantime, you can go part time, though realistically that may be difficult to do as a commercial agent, but doable as a residential agent which would still teach you a ton and earn some extra for investing in the process. Also, many people don't think about it, but wholesaling and being a RE agent are NOT mutually exclusive, but rather complementary (just make sure your broker is cool with it and there is full disclosure in the contract) ... not every seller is the same, and not every solution is buy the property and close quick all cash, some can turn into listings instead, and even if it is all cash close fast, they still need to find a place to move ... enter Mary Carlson, the RE agent. More tools in the bag of tricks = more ways to help people = more ways to get paid. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hey @Mary Carlson I'm from Santee and live in SD till this last July- message me if you have any questions

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Mary Carlson yay another Santee person! Welcome :) Let me know if you ever want to grab a coffee or something to eat. Always looking to work with people in the neighborhood. Ryan Woods
  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @David Faulkner Thank you!! I will be getting my license!

    @Ryan Woods ok! I'll send you a colleague request

    @Michelle Stewart Thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Best of luck to you. I'm also a wholesaler here in San Diego. Let me know if you would be interested in working together sometime. BP is a great community and make sure to listen to their podcasts.
  • CA · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson I've been wholesaling since 2011 and share a very common goal with you.  Reach out if I can answer any questions.  I'm in North County.  All The best.. Michael 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Hi Mary, welcome to BP. I'm also a fairly new REI. I'd love to connect and be in your buyers pool and vice versa. Let me know if you'd like to connect!
  • Santee, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @John D. @Account Closed@David Singyee

    Thank you! Nice to connect with you!

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 143 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Mary Carlson, welcome to the BP Community. I will send you Colleague Request. I work with a few cash investors always looking for properties and I also provide private money lending, so I would be happy to help answer any questions you may have about real estate and private lending. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.