New Member, Investor in Jacksonville FL

New Member, Investor in Jacksonville FL

Flipper · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I am new to the forums, but not necessarily new to BiggerPockets as I've been reading articles to learn the 'buzz words' and new concepts/techniques over the past 2-3 years. My family recently moved to the Jacksonville FL area, and I'm looking to start a part-time business in real estate investing that will eventually lead into a full-time career change. My ideal scenario would be to own a small investment company with a partner that holds a few mid-sized rental properties for baseline income, and supplements this with a few high-profit flips every year to help grow the rental portfolio and pay for lifestyle upgrades, vacations, etc.

My formal education is an Electrical Design engineer, and for the past 10 years I've worked for large companies designing complex electronic (computer) circuits for things like Medical Devices, LED lighting, etc. For the most part I enjoy this work, and I'm paid very well to do it, however I never wake up excited to go to work. I realized it was not my passion - my night, weekends, and conversations with friends was always centered around 'real estate'. Also, I'm pretty certain owning my own business is the only way I will be happy - I'll never be satisfied if I'm not sitting at the table when the 'big' decisions steering a company direction are made. 

I've only dipped my toes into the real estate investing world over the past 5-6 years, but I've been incredibly successful and I've learned a lot from the experiences. I started in the Boston market from 2010 to 2015, so I am aware most of this success was just right place at the right time. Now that I have relocated to Jacksonville Florida, I'm looking to take the capital I've built and start a more serious real estate investing campaign.

In closing, I plan to be a much more active member in the BiggerPockets community over the next few months, years, etc. I hope to find people in my area with similar goals to partner with - I see a lot of competition but I still think the Jacksonville area is ripe with opportunity for organized, trustworthy companies. I look forward to being another success story based on the knowledge and connections I've made through this community!

Thanks,

Dan

0Reply
28 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Veni F.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Los Banos, Laguna · Member since 2017 · 320 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    Welcome to the BP family @Daniel Fico! I have listed some helpful recommendations for you:

    Meet BiggerPockets member in your area:http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you:http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide:http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts:http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    Forum and Blog rules: https://www.biggerpockets.com/rules

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person.

    Welcome aboard!!!

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    Hi @Daniel Fico and welcome to BP & the world of REI! Jacksonville is a great place to do REI. I started investing there a few years back, even though I live in Oregon.

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    Welcome Daniel! I really like the last line of your profile. As a big Jax advocate I love people who care about their community and making it better. 

    Anyway, been investing for about 4 years now in Jax. Good luck and hope to meet you at a networking event some time!

  • Real Estate Investor · Stow, OH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Hello @Daniel Fico. We share a similar path as my formal education/work history is in physics and software development and I too would like to eventually move away from that and run my own REI business full-time. I've dedicated a lot of time over the last year researching and learning about REI, but I have not yet acquired my first property. I have also run a small successful side business for the last 5 years where I've done about a half a million in gross sales over that time period. My goal is to continue with that business as well as build a substantial real estate portfolio over the next 5 years. I share your passion and believe there is nothing better than being in direct control over your own financial future with the eventual goal of financial freedom.

    I am interested to learn more about the REI market in JAX. I have spent a great deal of time in Florida, including my high school years and some college, and always love to go back. I have some family and friends in JAX as well. I hope to hear more about your experiences with REI in that area in the future.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Daniel Fico

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. A great resource is the webinars section of the website. https://www.biggerpockets.com/proreplay

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Daniel!!

    Welcome to Jacksonville! Highly recommend getting involved with JAX REIA too!

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Daniel,

     I would like to have lunch with you sometime as we both are interested in the same thing. I am familiar with Jacksonville and have a few investment properties here as well. Send me a message when you a chance. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Hi All,

    Has there ever been a BP meetup in Jax? Or does everyone just go to JAX REIA meetings?

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Dionne Brunson not that I know about. There are other investment groups besides JAX REIA. I never had the opportunity to attend. Go to Meetup.com and search Jacksonville real estate and some groups should pop up. JAX REIA also has several mini groups, that are small and intimate.

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dionne Brunson:

    Hi All,

    Has there ever been a BP meetup in Jax? Or does everyone just go to JAX REIA meetings?

     The first Jax "BP meetup" (well that I know of) was circa end of 2013 when 5 of us got together at the SJTC starbucks lol. About one year later, Erik K started what would become the very successful Mastermind group on meetup.com but it was basically BP in the beginning. I went to the first 4 or 5 monthly meetings and there was a very large and diverse crowd. I've only been once or twice a year since then so I don't know too much about what that looks like now. Carter Melvin also organized a meetup last month among BP members interested in commercial RE but not sure if there's any intention to make that a regular thing. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    This is the mastermind group...hope they allow the link to stay up. 

    https://www.meetup.com/JAX-REIM/events/237589091/

    There is also a new monthly meetup hosted by Freedom REI that you can find on meetup.com. I have not been to that one as I have a conflict on Wed evenings but I have worked with Freedom REI before and it looks like a nice event.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi all, I am a Realtor as well as an active investor in the Jacksonville market. The Jacksonville market is in the top 10 hottest markets in the nation right now. Please feel free to contact me regarding investment opportunities or just market information and rental income.

  • Flipper · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for the responses guys. I especially appreciate the info on meetup.com and the link for the REI group @Maxwell Lee.

    I'll send you a message @Kit Thomas 

    @Dan Marzec congrats on the side business, sounds like you're almost there! We've also been running a few side businesses, but nothing that's generating substantial income. The goal is really just to learn about the tax rules for small businesses - it's beautiful how much cheaper the things like internet, cell phone, gas, cars, meals, etc can be when you're able to deduct them on your taxes....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.