Newbie from South Jersey- Specifically Marlton / Cherry Hill Area

Newbie from South Jersey- Specifically Marlton / Cherry Hill Area

Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes

Hi Bigger Pockets family!  My name is Tyler Martin and I am born and raised in Marlton, NJ.  I graduated from Lynn University in May of 2016 where I majored in marketing and played lacrosse.  I've been in my current career in Mt. Laurel now for a year and am finally ready to make the dive into Real Estate investing.  I am well-read on the topics of Real Estate Investing but have not yet practiced what I've learned through the multiple books I've read (as most people, I started with Rich Dad Poor Dad).  I have listened to the BP podcasts at my cube at work and needless to say they inspired me to start getting my feet wet.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone, thank you!

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Lauren C.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
9y

Hi @Ty Martin !

I personally dislike using Zillow for small multis. The filter isn't the best. I prefer to use realtor or Trulia as they have a "Property Type" filter where you can check off "Multi-Family" 

I'm in the South Jersey area and started with House Hacking. Feel free to shoot me over any questions! I also have a blog where I've been detailing the searching, buying, and rehabbing of the property which I can DM you the link to if you'd like.

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    @Ty Martin 

    Welcome to BP! I'm only a couple towns over from the Marlton area. What part of REI interests you the most?

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Giannino  

    Thanks Christopher!  I am most interesting in finding buy & hold / "house hacking" opportunities.  I especially would like to look into new construction

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    @Ty Martin 

    House hacking is definitely a great way to start your investing career.  Many investors here on BP start off this way.  Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions or I can help you out with anything.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Thanks a lot @Christopher Giannino - is there a specific way to search for them?  I have tried through Zillow with very limited results.  Is it the fact that they are hard to come by or that I'm not looking in the right place?

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    Hey @Ty Martin welcome to BP. I am also a newbie and i am also beginning my real estate career. Two things i been doing to try to find a property is that i am driving around the neighborhood i am interested in and searching for any properties that look like there is a lack of care for and im currently looking for a real estate agent to help me find what i want.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Ronny Tiburcio - I appreciate the insight.  Finding deals is definitely something that takes practice.  Luckily, although I'm ready to get started, I am fine with being patient (as is sounds you are) for the right deal to present itself.  I am also working with a realtor

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    @Ty Martin 

    I'm not really sure what your specific criteria is so this is more of a general answer... The market is pretty hot and there's low inventory right now so depending on how specific your search is could be the reasoning behind the limited results. Using either realtor.com or Zillow is a great way to start though. Additionally, you can ask a realtor to set you up on auto emails that come from the MLS given your criteria.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Christopher Giannino - I'll be sure to reach out with any more questions!  I appreciate the help

  • Lauren C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ty Martin !

    I personally dislike using Zillow for small multis. The filter isn't the best. I prefer to use realtor or Trulia as they have a "Property Type" filter where you can check off "Multi-Family" 

    I'm in the South Jersey area and started with House Hacking. Feel free to shoot me over any questions! I also have a blog where I've been detailing the searching, buying, and rehabbing of the property which I can DM you the link to if you'd like.

    Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Hi @Lauren C. - Thank you for reaching out! I appreciate that.  Just looked, Realtor is really easy to use!  

    Definitely interested in the blog- please shoot it over, thank you!

    I'll be in touch soon with any local SJ questions I have 

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP @Ty Martin. NJ is sparse on multi-family house hacking opportunities. I'm not aware of any new multi-family construction either. Make sure to connect with @Tom Dagney and attend a SJREIA Meeting. Lots of great resources in the group and they can definitely help provide some additional thoughts and insights into what it is that you're looking to do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South Jersey, Cherry Hill and nearby areas · Member since 2015 · 932 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    thanks for the mention James Masotti!

  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    9y

    I love the Meghan McCallum Podcast #228 because she talks about her first purchase taking THREE YEARS.  

    And now she's doing fantastic.


    I think about that all the time, and listened to it a lot.  Not quite as much as the War on Drugs last album, but a lot. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Hi @James Masotti - I appreciate your help!  I will definitely be attending the next Newbie meeting.  It looks like it is in October, correct @Tom Dagney ?

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @David Weintraub I'll give that a listen this morning.  I am definitely looking for that type of inspiration 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Hi Tyler,

    I'm from Voorhees and have been an investor in the area for a few years now. I've help a handful of clients/friends from the area get started in real estate investing so if you'd like to chat please feel free to inbox me. I've set some clients up with a few wholesalers in south jersey as well to find them off market deals. I'm also an agent so I can set you up with auto emails after we figure out the parameters for a search. Look forward to helping. 

    Julian 

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Hi @Julian Orsuto

    Thank you for reaching out!  I just sent you a colleague request, would definitely like to chat more.

  • Rental Property Investor · South Jersey, Cherry Hill and nearby areas · Member since 2015 · 932 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Hi James,

    Yes.  October 2nd at The Brooklawn Diner, 297 Crescent Blvd (at the Circle), Brooklawn, NJ 08030.  Meeting begins at 6pm.  Topic is  Wholesaling Your Real Estate Deals Panel.  Feel free to check out our website calendar for all upcoming meetings.  Meetings are for all levels of investors, Newbie's to seasoned investors.                   

  • Investor · Jackson, NJ · Member since 2010 · 167 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Ty Martin Be sure to also keep eye out for Distressed Notes. You wouldn't believe how many people miss out on real estate opportunities because they don't make the MLS or Foreclosure Auction. Becoming the bank gives you the power of the paper. I am in Jackson and we often get a group together to talk about the subject monthly. If interested let me know. Hopefully I can get @Tom Dagney to come visit sometime soon! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @David Putz I'm not familiar with Distressed Notes, what do you mean by that?

    Thank you!

  • Investor · Jackson, NJ · Member since 2010 · 167 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @tyler martin When someone takes out a mortgage to purchase a house butts for any reason  they stopped making payments on the property

    Those loans  are sold off to hedge funds and then to investors like us  to purchase  and become the bank/debt owner .  As the "bank " we can have multiple exot strategies including approving short sales, getting the loan to Reperform, foreclosing and selling, foreclosing selling at foreclosure auction,  foreclose and rent, foreclose then sell as seller finance  and many more.  

    We are in central jersey and meet regularly.   Feel free to know any other questions you May have.  I just don't come on bigger pockets much.

    Dave Putz

    JKP Holdings LLC

  • Gilian GegawinPro Member
    Virtual Assistant · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 236 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Ty Martin  Hey there, Tyler. Great to see you take that first and maybe most difficult step in real estate investment: reaching out on BiggerPockets. Congratulations and I wish you a ton of success. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.