New investor from Mooresville, NC

New investor from Mooresville, NC

Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community, I am a young investor with the goal of owning a rental property before February so I can begin to use rental real estate to pay for my college education. What are some common mistakes young investors makes that I should look out for?

1Reply
25 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Terrell, NC · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Hi John, welcome to BP! I live in Terrell (near the steam station). Let’s connect and find out if we can help each other! ~Donna
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @John LaVecchia

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Dmitriy Fomichenko, I will be sure to explore these resources.

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Donna Allen That would be great! Do you invest in the Lake Norman area, or do you venture out in search of better deals?

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets John and best of luck investing!

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Andrew Syrios Thank you!

  • Investor · Terrell, NC · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @John LaVecchia, my preferred area is 28115 in Mooresville, but I'm marketing from Concord all the way around to Gastonia, outside of Mecklenburg County.   I work in Gastonia, so I travel down 150 and 321 5 days/week.

  • Rental Property Investor · Warrenton, VA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    Good Luck @John LaVecchia

    Charlotte is a great area. 

  • BOISE, ID · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @John LaVecchia. 

    Being relatively new myself I am still making mistakes, and I always will. But there are ways to minimize it. You've found the right place to begin learning what mistakes others have made, and how to avoid it! Read the blogs and participate in the forums. Makes some goals, and take sure steps towards accomplishing those goals. 

    Happy investing!

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Donna Allen I love the 28115 area. It definitely seems to be a solid market with high demand.
  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Chris Ayers, I hope to capitalize on the opportunity!

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Wes Woodhouse, I hope to achieve my goal of owning a rental property before I turn 20 without too many costly oversights.

  • Rental Property Investor · Warrenton, VA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    @John LaVecchia No opportunities up there in Mooresville? 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @John LaVecchia - Mooresville 28115 is very tough right now to find quality rentals for a good price. I've had my realtor sending me updates daily and anything that even resembles a deal is scooped up with cash offers within days or less. Unfortunately it seems though the housing prices have gone up, the rents really haven't. It is a highly desirable area due to the school system and I think people are willing to pay a premium for that in the cost of a home.

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Chris Ayers Unfortunately I have not been able to find any deals in the Mooresville area. I'm currently doing some market analysis on the High Point area. It seems that the city is taking some strong steps toward cleaning up the south-side through their partnerships with Habitat for Humanity, Operation In As Much, BNC community development, and CHDO construction.

  • Contractor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Ryan V. What do you think of the High Point area as far as rentals?

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @John LaVecchia I haven't looked into that area to be honest. So far I've focused my search on the Mooresville/Charlotte areas specifically.

  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Welcome. I am also investing in Mooresville and yes it is a hard market to invest in. I have 2 properties in town and currently looking for others. Good luck and welcome.

  • Rental Property Investor · Merrick, NY · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    John LaVecchia Hi John, your very bright to think about investing in a rental property at such a young age. I got my first one at 25 and my second at 30... it was the smartest thing I ever did. I now own 6 in your area and have some good insight into the Huntersville/Cornelious and Lake Norman market. If you buy right it will accomplish your goal of helping to pay your school loans... but here is another idea if you have an open mind. The area needs trustworthy property managers, if you can tap into this you’ll gain the experience of being a landlord without having to invest just yet. I mention this bc we are towards the top of the market in my opinion and I think there will be a better opportunity to buy in the coming years. Anyway, if your open to starting a property management company maybe we could chat further.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.