Newbie wants a better life

Newbie wants a better life

Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here. I signed up at some point last year, but I can't even remember when. Can't remember if I introduced myself.

Anyhow, I haven't really delved into this too seriously, probably because I don't have a lot of confidence in myself, but today I watched the webinar on the 45-day challenge. I was hoping to learn a lot more on there than I did, but it turns out I learned that I have a lot more to learn. LOL It did give me a good kick in the pants, though, it made me realize that I really have to put more work into learning what I need to learn if I want to get into this business of investing.

I'm sick of this business of living paycheck-to-paycheck and never having enough money for when things come up, or to go on vacations, or to buy gifts for friends and family on birthdays and such. I keep coming back to the fact that the only way I'm going to get out of this rut is to get into real estate investing.

I have bad credit and no money, so I will have to learn how to invest zero, zilch, nada. I wanted to sign up as a pro tonight, but I don't even have the $290. I seriously considered borrowing money from one of those title loan places, which I've done before, but with over 200% interest, that is just not a good idea.

I wanted to take advantage of the cheaper price, and get locked in for 20% off in future years, as the price is going up $100 tonight, but I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that it's not going to happen right now. I'll just have to learn as much as I can with all the free stuff on here, and get the different books that BP sells.

Even though I may not be able to get a deal by the end of the day, I am going to commit to putting at least 15 to 20 minutes a day or more into learning all I can about this investing business. For years I've wanted to get into this, so now I'm going to take it seriously. A person gets to a point eventually when they say, enough is enough!

Okay, I better quit here before this becomes a novel. I think it already has. Have a great night, everyone!

2Reply
184 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
8y

OK, give them up.  Today.  That's a couple hundred bucks a month savings right there.  Not to mention TV is just a big time sucker and you have better things to do with your time.  Buy a $10 coffee maker at Walmart and make your own coffee.

While I would say this as "spend less than you make" this is the absolute key practice to accumulate any wealth.  No matter how little or how much you make if you cannot save at least a silver out of each paycheck you will NEVER accumulate anything.

Real estate is full of shysters who prey on desperate people with visions of quick and easy wealth.  You must avoid falling for those.

There are two ways to make money with real estate.  One is a real estate job - agent, builder, fix and flipper, wholesale, property manager, etc.  Where you put your LABOR into earning a paycheck.  The other is investing, where you put your CAPITAL into earning a paycheck.  Labor and capital are ultimately the only two sources of income.  Since you have no capital, you have to supply labor.  Unfortunately, most of those RE jobs, even wholesaling, require some amount of money.  And jobs like wholesaling and being an agent are commissioned sales.  You only get paid when you close a deal.  You can put in a lot of time and effort and no small amount of money and never make a dime.  This is where many of the gurus really make me angry.  They sell a dream that you have very little chance of achieving.  They have no problem convincing you to spend thousands of dollars, usually on credit cards, to buy their crap. Don't fall for it.

Real estate investing is an investment.  You must have money to invest.  Until you accumulate some cash, this just is not an option.  Any more than buying stocks, bonds or a bank CD.

A real estate job may or may not be your best path to generating income.  You say you're driving, but have a lot of downtime.  Have you looked into alternative driving gigs?  Uber and Lyft are the obvious ones, but there are many others.  My son worked for a company that delivered prescriptions to nursing homes and similar facilities.  They were paid for wait time.  He worked at a different company couriering documents and such.   And then at a third company as a dispatcher.  So, you have numerous jobs similar to what you do now.

Think about getting a second job.  There are 168 hours in a week.  If you sleep for 56 of those that still leaves 112 hours.  Plenty of time for two full time jobs.  I've had tenants tell me, "Jon, call right at 5:00 because that's when I'm on my way from my first job to my second."  There are free, online courses like Coursera, Kahn academy, and many others. Wikipedia has a list with many entries. Spend some time poking around on these before spending a dime on education.  Spend some time on job sites to see what skills are in demand.  Find something of interest, where you can find some training, and that is in demand and spend a few hours (not 15-20) minutes learning.

You don't need a pro account to read any forum or to post in any of the discussion forums.  A pro account gives you the ability to advertise.  You don't need that at this time.

There is no miracle with real estate.   When you say "I keep coming back to the fact that the only way I'm going to get out of this rut is to get into real estate investing", you're already falling for the hype.  The is NOT a fact.   Real estate might or might not be good for you.  But I can guarantee it will not make you rich quick and easy.

See this reply in the discussion

99 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jon Holdman, yes,  I've already quit Starbucks. The thing about Starbucks is, sometimes I like to go there on my downtime and hang out and read, but I don't have to. I also make my coffee at home every morning, but I like to get a latte at Starbucks now and then. Cutting that out will help me lose weight as well as save money. Just have to call my cable company now  and get just Internet only.

    When it comes to my job, I do get paid for my downtime. I get paid a set wage for the day, regardless of how many actual hours I'm on the road. Sometimes I have a lot of downtime, which I think is great, because I still get paid for a full day. Other days I'm on the road most of the day, but those days when I get plenty downtime really make up for it. I'm able to go home quite often for my downtime, so I utilize it in many different ways. Lately I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and podcasts and stuff on REI. Don't have time to get a second job, because I'm on the clock for 12 hours a day, and usually I work 6 days a week, and sometimes 7, my choice to make extra money. Lately I've only been getting 5 days a week, but this is our slow time. I'm pretty sure it'll pick up again after the holidays. I love what I do, except it just doesn't pay enough.

    I do know full well that REI will not make me rich quickly or easily. I'm 54, so I don't have too many years left. I'm hoping I can have some kind of little success in the next 10 years or so. Would be nice to retire with enough passive income so that I can be making at least $1,000 more than what I'm making now, including my social security.

    I've been thinking about getting my real estate license, but I have to save up enough money to take the classes first. Seems like that would be the best thing to do at this point in the game since I don't have any money to invest yet.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jonathan Hulen, don't worry, I'm not getting discouraged. Most of you have been very nice and helpful, and I appreciate everything. I I do know that you all want to apprise me of the reality of REI.

    My credit score is currently in the 500s somewhere. Haven't checked it in several months. Obviously I have to work on getting it up.

    I was thinking exactly in the same lines that you are about getting a duplex or a house with a mother-in-law's quarters or some such that I can rent out and pay for a good chunk of the mortgage, meanwhile building up equity. I keep looking at places on Zillow, and sometimes I run across places like those, but most of them have been rather pricey. I'm not giving up, though. Right now, though, I have to wait until my friend's grandson moves out of her place, that way I'll have a place to move into after my place sells, until I can get that duplex or whatever. Not sure if I'll be doing that yet, but it's something to consider.

    Thank you so much for your encouragement.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Collin Schwartz, thank you for your encouraging words. I've been starting to put a lot more time into reading articles and books, watching videos,  and listening to podcasts .  I have a long way to go,  but lately I've been getting a lot of downtime at work,  so that gives me the time to do this .  Don't have time for a second job, because I'm on the clock for 12 hours out of the day. I do get paid for my downtime. Work has been slow lately, but at least my wages aren't affected.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jody Broussard, thank you for your encouragement. I'm hoping I can do at least as good as you've done by the time I'm your age. I have about 10 more years to go. LOL! I know what you mean about the podcasts all having some sort of usefulness, even though they don't pertain exactly to what you're investing in. Every time I listen to a podcast or watch a video I take copious notes. I'll check out that book you mentioned when I get a chance. There are many books that I need to read. This is going to take me a long time! LOL! Thanks again for your encouragement.

  • Real Estate Broker · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    Hi Karen, if you decide to sell your house maybe you can find someone to co-sign a loan with you and you can work on repairing your credit and house hacking at the same time. I don't think you necessarily need a duplex or a separate mother in law unit. If you get a 3 bedroom single family house, you can live in one room and rent the other 2 rooms out if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise, I do like the idea of you staying with a friend for free and helping out while you get your financial situation sorted out.

  • Real Estate Broker · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    One more thing Karen, I suggest doing everything you can to cut down everyday expenses so you're not living pay check to pay check. I think that's probably more important than rebuilding your credit at this point. I know $2000/month isn't a whole lot to work with but I believe you can absolutely make this work with your current income. I grew up with parents who made around minimum wage and adopted an extremely frugal lifestyle. They never went out to restaurants (McDonald's was considered too expensive), movies, etc. They hardly ever bought new clothes. They studied the weekly grocery flyers almost religiously and refused to buy anything that wasn't on sale. Their monthly food bill was $100/month for a family of 3 (this was 10 - 15 years ago when the price of bananas was still 29 cents/lb so you'd have to adjust for inflation...). But you get the picture. They paid for my college tuition in full, they own their house free and clear in one of the most expensive housing market in North America and decent retirement savings.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Collin Schwartz:

    Karen Coffelt congrats for deciding on rei. I am new myself but can say that in less than a year it has changed my life. What I have realized through real estate is that for every problem there is a solution. Focus on education first, all sorts of great podcasts such as BP, cash flow ninja, Michael Blank, and others are free.. listen to them all. Every second in the car should be spent listening to these influential tools! Next if money is needed focus on additional income even if it takes another job... the goal is to get started in earning passive income. At the same time continue to network on BP. Although I like my pro membership as it allows me to post in the marketplace, I do not see it as a necessity right away. Best of luck and reach out if you need anything!

     I know this is a pretty stupid question but how can you listen to bp pod cast in a car while your driving. ?

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    @Karen Coffelt I'm going to disagree with some of the others and say to start working on your credit now. It may take some time to get it where you need it. Check out the forums at myfico.com. It gives a lot of info on how to file disputes and what to do to increase your credit score. I would download credit karma on your phone (it's free) and track your progress. Absolutely work on improving your financial situation, but you can do your credit simultaneously...at no cost. It doesn't sound like you can qualify for a duplex just yet. I would consider selling your home and living with your friend. That will provide some cash and a way to reduce expenses.
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 92 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs, you download them to your phone and play them through your car stereo... or just download them to your phone and play them on the phone's speaker.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I have read through all the posts in this thread and have come to the conclusion that most have given advice on the path you need to take to turn your life around and in most cases you have given reasons and excuses as to why you do not want to change. The path you prefer is not open to you and will not be open to you until you change your life first. Real estate may be at the end of that road but definatly is not in any way a option at this point in your life.

    Change jobs to increase your income, take on a second or third job if necessary, fix your credit, live conservatively, stop putting your efforts into helping strays (people) and accept the reality that your present life situation is completely self imposed.

    Harsh maybe but the reality is you want to change your life but deep down you lack the true motivation to do what is necessary. You have freely chosen to be where you are. 

    Living pay check to pay check without savings is self imposed and by your own choice as indicated by your reluctance to do all that is necessary to improve your life aside from reading about a pipe dream of investing in real estate.

    Fix what is broken in your life, adjust your attitude and maybe some day you will have the luxury of being able to invest.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Liwen Gu , thank you for all your help full advice. If I sell my mobile home, I don't think I'll be staying at my friend's house for free, but probably for a lot less than what I'm paying now. I would probably pay her around $300 or $400 a month, and no utilities, which would really save me A LOT in the summer! Right now I pay $540 a month on my lot rent, and then my utilities. In the winter there very cheap, but summer I pay through the nose for electricity. It's crazy!

    As far as living frugally is concerned, I live pretty frugal at the moment, I know already planning to go a little more frugal. I've already quit getting Starbucks, which was about a $100 a month habit, and I'm getting rid of my cable and house phone, the latter of which I don't even use, but came with the bundle package, and that will save me an additional $80 a month. I don't go out to eat unless a friend invites me and says they are paying, I rarely buy new clothes, and I go to the movies maybe once or twice a month, and that's to the cheap theater where I only pay $2, and I don't buy any food there. Groceries run me anywhere from $200 to $400 a month, just depending on whether I'm stocking up on household stuff or not. I tried to stock up on food when it's on sale if it's something non-perishable or something that can be stored in the freezer.

    As far as house hacking with roommates is concerned, when I lived in Massachusetts at my father's house after he passed away, I had several roommates there. I find it extremely difficult to live with roommates, especially if they're not respectful of your wishes. I currently have a roommate now, and older Vietnamese gentleman who is very respectful and is basically the perfect roommate. Unfortunately, he can only afford to pay me $200 a month, and I agreed upon that to help him out. He's hardly ever home, and when he is home, he's very quiet and respectful. It would be nice if all roommates were like that.

    If I can find a house that had like maybe a master suite with a separate entrance or a garage that's been converted into a studio apartment or something like that, that would work out great. Even a basement that has been converted into one bedroom apartment or studio, although homes with basements are rare in Arizona. However, as @Julius Jon mentioned, with a credit score of only in the 500 and student loan and IRS debt, there's probably no way that I'll qualify for an FHA loan, or any loan, for that matter. Better for now that I just work on getting my debts paid off and getting my credit score up, and start saving money.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Julius Jon , you're right, with a credit score in the 500s and a student loan and IRS debt, I'm sure I won't be able to qualify for any loan at this time. Better for now that I just work on getting my debts paid and my credit score up and save some money.

    As far as who is paying for the car that I drive for work, the company is paying for it. I work for a medical transportation company, and I take the car home with me. They pay for all the maintenance, insurance, gas, etc. Nothing comes out of my pocket. I'm not an independent contractor.

    When I first moved to Arizona I was driving a taxi as an independent contractor. I paid a lease and paid for my gas and car washes. I worked crazy long hours with very little time to myself, and I was stressed out all the time. I finally had to quit that job. I was barely able to make enough money to cover my monthly expenses. Won't ever go back to doing that kind of work again. Some people are able to make money as a cab driver, but I found I couldn't cut it.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs and @Rachel N. , I wish I could listen to the BP podcasts while I'm driving. Unfortunately, the speaker on my phone doesn't get loud enough for me to hear it while the car is moving, as there's too much noise from the tires running over the road. Also, there is no auxiliary plug in in my company car stereo for me to plug my phone in to listen to it through the car speakers. I do listen to the podcasts during my downtime, which is actually better for me, because I like to take copious notes. I have a hard time remembering things if I don't write them down.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Leather Nix , I believe you're right, and that's the best course of action that I need to take right now, because with my credit score the way it is and my debts I know I won't be able to qualify for any loans. Thank you for your input. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Paul Choi, thank you for your input. I think what I need to do right now mostly, after reading everyone's input, is just cut down my monthly expenses and work on fixing my credit and getting my debts paid. In the meantime I can save money towards an eventual down payment on a place.

  • Laramie, WY · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hi @Karen Coffelt, welcome. I also am new but am a bit ahead of you in this process. Sounds like you are motivated. Don't give up. Ever!!!! 

    I have learned a lot since I started this about 6 months ago. One thing I will say is read A LOT!! I happen to read incessantly so this was a pleasure for me. Also, Once I start something I become obsessed. In this particular case it is helping LOL. Another thing I did was reach out to other investors in your area. They are a wealth of knowledge and most likely future partners. This is a great place to find funds. Also, These people have a passion, and this passion is REI. They will be very excited that ANYONE is interested in what their passion is. All you have to do is listen.

    Another word of advice is to learn a bit about money and how it works. The ins and outs of finance. This will help you build a sound business plan and at the same time help you support your personal finances. After all, if you spend what you earn, your money can't earn for you. I suggest starting with George Clason's "The Richest Man In Babylon". It is a simple and quick read, all be it odd, but it gets the point across.

    To give you some hope I currently am in the searching and offering mode. I have my first deal lined up and am ready to make an offer. Once you get the ball rolling it is surprising how things start to line up. And you will also be surprised how funds start to appear. When you are broke it can seem as though there is no money anywhere (I know) but believe me, it is EVERYWHERE!! All you have to do is ask and make them an offer on terms. Maybe a little sell too. It can be difficult to get someone not familiar with investment to release part of there nest egg. So, you have to do the calculations and write up the numbers. Remember, this is an opportunity for them as much as it is for you. You must create win/wins.

    I'll quit my ramble now. Sorry about that. But see, I proved my point. We get excited. Ha. Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Maria McCreless , thank you for your encouragement. I don't remember Hotteenia Jenkins mentioning anything about my age. Maybe I miss that part. Quite possible, as I just found your posts. Somehow I missed them before and didn't get a chance to reply until now.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Kyle Dutson, thank you so much for the encouragement. I am currently in the process of reading, reading, reading! Lol! And listening to podcasts, and watching videos. Like you, when I get on fire for something, I dive in and get as much information as possible. I soak it up like a sponge!

    Case in point: last year I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. That was in August 2016. I was determined not to have to take medication. I researched all I could about reversing diabetes, and started changing my diet. The more I researched, the more changes I made. In April of this year I finally went on a ketogenic diet, and things really started turning around at that point. Not that they hadn't been turning around before, but it was even more so when I went ultra low carb. I had gotten off of my diabetes medication about a month after I was diagnosed, and I kept my blood sugars in check with just my diet. After going Keto it was less than a month before I was no longer getting any diabetic blood sugar readings. I continue to read as much information to improve my health as possible. It will be the same when it comes to getting information on fixing my credit and learning about REI.

    Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Karen Coffelt like others have echoed I think your best bet is earning more and fixing credit. Fixing Credit is probably easier than earning more. I would also suggest not necessarily simply writing odd getting a different higher paying job. Not all higher paying jobs equate to more stress. I recently switched jobs and I earn more while being stressed less than my former job. Maybe what you did prior (taxi driver?) isn’t the job for you but there are other jobs out there. Finally I would also disagree with some people about “living frugally”. If you have expensive habits that costs you hundreds a month, then yes you probably don’t want to continue to do that. However, if you buy say a coffee a couple times a week at Starbucks, that won’t necessarily break the bank. If I spend 3 dollars (approximate cost of star bucks hot chocolate, as I don’t drink coffee) 3 Times a week, that’s 36 dollars a month or 468 a year. If I cut this whole habit out and saved it towards REI it would take me over 21 years (assuming 20 percent down on 50k house) to save that downpayment. Saving and living frugally is great but don’t forget to enjoy life too. For my saving I prefer to simply automate money transfers every time I get paid. That way I don’t have access to it and don’t spend it. Over time it’s enough to buy a house and then repeat. Once you own 3-4 rentals you’ll notice it will start snowballing as you add your cash flow to what you save. Reinvest the profits into paying off debt or buying more as continue over a decade or more and you’ll wake up one day wealthy (for buy and hold method)
  • Laramie, WY · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Karen Coffelt after reading through some of the posts it seems @Jody Broussard already beat me to the punch on "The Richest Man In Babylon". I will also suggest "The Automatic Millionaire" I forget the author, but it is a good read and will help you get you on a better financial path. 

    Also, Do't let people discourage you saying your finances need to come first. It's a chicken or the egg thing. There are many sellers out there who will owner finance. And there are plenty of people out there who have funds that will go into partnerships. They pay the down payment and possibly supply the good credit. You take care of putting the deal together an management of the property. The split on equity, cash flow, and expenses is agreed upon between the partners and written into the terms in a contract.  Other options are exactly that, options. Lease options are a way for you to put a house on lease and rent it out till you have the funds to get a loan. Or sandwich it and find someone else to "rent to own" from you at a hire price, rent, and option fee. 

    These examples are just a few. And don't think they will fall in your lap. But if you do your homework and put in the leg work it is entirely possibly to invest with limited funds and credit.

    Again, good luck 

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    I have read through all the posts in this thread and have come to the conclusion that most have given advice on the path you need to take to turn your life around and in most cases you have given reasons and excuses as to why you do not want to change. The path you prefer is not open to you and will not be open to you until you change your life first. Real estate may be at the end of that road but definatly is not in any way a option at this point in your life.

    Change jobs to increase your income, take on a second or third job if necessary, fix your credit, live conservatively, stop putting your efforts into helping strays (people) and accept the reality that your present life situation is completely self imposed.

    Harsh maybe but the reality is you want to change your life but deep down you lack the true motivation to do what is necessary. You have freely chosen to be where you are. 

    Living pay check to pay check without savings is self imposed and by your own choice as indicated by your reluctance to do all that is necessary to improve your life aside from reading about a pipe dream of investing in real estate.

    Fix what is broken in your life, adjust your attitude and maybe some day you will have the luxury of being able to invest.

    I would just like to clear the air here, Thomas, and for anyone else here who has read into my comments that I don't want to change. Maybe I don't make myself clear enough, maybe my writing is not the best. I have mentioned several times that I'm willing to make the changes necessary to get out of debt and fix my credit so that I can eventually put myself on to the path of REI. I have no illusions of becoming a RE mogul. All I want is to get myself set up eventually with a nice little stream of passive income from rental properties, so that I don't have to be worried about my finances when it comes time to retire.

    I have already mentioned that I'm willing to give up Starbucks, which is a $100 a month habit, and to give up cable TV, which will save me another $80 a month. I can also cut back on other little things here and there, although there isn't much more that I spend my money on. I don't go out to eat, I go to the movies maybe once or twice a month, and that is at the $2 theater, and I don't buy anything to eat when I go. My job allows me to eat most of my meals at home, and if my schedule happens to change where I'm not able to get home for my brunch (I don't eat breakfast, but rather brunch), then there was always QT where I can get a breakfast bowl for $2.99 plus tax. I have a car that I have to pay insurance on, but I don't have a car payment. I have to pay for health insurance, my cell phone bill, food and household expenses, lot rent and utilities, student loan payments and IRS debt payments.

    As far as finding a better-paying job is concerned, I could do that at the expense of my sanity. Right now I'm thinking seriously to get my Arizona realtors license, but first I need to save up enough money to take the classes. That might take me a few months, but I know I can do it. I'm pretty sure selling real estate is something I'd be happy doing. I have a friend in Massachusetts who has been a broker and realtor for years, and she's quite successful at it. She keeps trying to encourage me to get my license and get into it myself, and I keep thinking that that is probably what I'll be doing.

    As far as selling my place is concerned, I keep coming back to thinking about that, but I'm still on the fence about it. I hate the thought of giving it up, because I like it, and it's in a nice neighborhood. I'm not worried about displacing my tenant, because I'm sure he could find someone else to live with.

    I've been financially irresponsible all my life, and I'm finally trying to do something about it. As a matter of fact, I've learned to be a lot more frugal than I ever was in the last couple of years since I moved here to Arizona. You see, I had to sell my parents home, the home that I grew up in and had dreams of staying and for the rest of my life. It was in major disrepair, and I was behind by about $10,000 on the taxes. My father died in 2013, a day after I lost a job that I loved and that payed decent, that I had had for 11 years. I went into a deep depression. I took a cab driving jobs that I enjoyed, but it wasn't enough to pay the bills. I rented out rooms in my house, and I could tell you some horror stories there.

    Anyhow, it came down to me having to sell the house, because I just couldn't cut it anymore. I decided I would move back to Arizona, where I lived back in the early 2000s for a few years, and where I had a couple of friends. I ended up having to sell the house way under market value because of all the repairs it needed. After splitting the profits for ways with my siblings, as per my father's request in his will, I had just enough to buy the place I'm living in now and for my moving expenses. I had a lifetime of accumulated things from my late parents to go through in the moving process, and if it wasn't for the help of my realtor and many friends and relatives, I just would not have been able to do it. It was an emotional and stressful time in my life, but it's over now, and I've been needing to move on.

    I'm very motivated to make the changes needed in my life to get out of debt and fix my credit so that I can eventually get into REI. As I mentioned before, I'm not interested in becoming a RE mogul, but I would like to get some rentals to get that passive income eventually.

    When I become this motivated about something, are usually dive right In and learn as much as I can. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was determined to take control of it and turn it around. I did not want to become one of those people who died of diabetic complications, and I did not want to be on diabetes medication for the rest of my life. I took it upon myself to learn everything I could about reversing it. I took control of my eating habits, a lifetime of abuse to my body, major changes. I'm happy to say that in less than a year I have totally reversed this disease. Not that it's been cured, because there's no cure, and I will have to continue to eat the way I do now for the rest of my life, but I'm determined to keep it in remission. I figure if I can do this, then I can do anything I put my mind to.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thanks again for your encouragement and advise, @Kyle Dutson. Those are definitely some options to look into. I did have that book The Automatic Millionaire. I'll have to see if I still have it. There are many books that I got rid of when I moved. I read the book, but at the time I wasn't willing to make changes in my life. I'll have to reread it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 67 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    I have read through all the posts in this thread and have come to the conclusion that most have given advice on the path you need to take to turn your life around and in most cases you have given reasons and excuses as to why you do not want to change. The path you prefer is not open to you and will not be open to you until you change your life first. Real estate may be at the end of that road but definatly is not in any way a option at this point in your life.

    Change jobs to increase your income, take on a second or third job if necessary, fix your credit, live conservatively, stop putting your efforts into helping strays (people) and accept the reality that your present life situation is completely self imposed.

    Harsh maybe but the reality is you want to change your life but deep down you lack the true motivation to do what is necessary. You have freely chosen to be where you are. 

    Living pay check to pay check without savings is self imposed and by your own choice as indicated by your reluctance to do all that is necessary to improve your life aside from reading about a pipe dream of investing in real estate.

    Fix what is broken in your life, adjust your attitude and maybe some day you will have the luxury of being able to invest.

    Maria McCreless Real Estate Agent from Tallahassee, Florida

    replied 1 day ago    needs to apologize to JENKINS.........................................lol.

    My take would be Maria just wanted to brag about her man(possibly bf) going from nothing to multi billionaire.   Id say this is woman on woman crime,  this lady doesnt need to hear about a multi billionaire unless she has designs on marrying him

    Julius, it was never my intent to brag.  It was intent to make a point that anyone regardless of where they are and at what age can make it in real estate if you give it your all.  For me knowing that others are able to do it, encourages me that I too if I work hard enough and commitment myself may one day be where he is.  My point was that his story is a great example of why we come to bp.  To hear the success stories and to learn how to get there.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth, thank you for your input and encouragement. I will definitely be looking into different options for a better-paying job. I've already decided I'm giving up the Starbucks and cable, which will put about $180 extra into my pocket every month. When I become this determined, there's no stopping me! LOL! That's a good thing!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 92 votes
    8y
    Karen, Thank you for sharing your story with us throughout this post. It sounds like you’ve been through some rough times, but I think your dreams and goals are reasonable, and you will figure out how to make them happen. Stay on the forum for knowledge, encouragement, and as questions arise - so when you’re in a position to make a move, people can help you evaluate any deals you will be looking at. I look forward to following your story and reading about future successes!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.