New member in Mobile, AL

New member in Mobile, AL

Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets!

My name is Christian Abel, and I am in Mobile, AL. I am a services technician for Schneider Electric (Square D Services), and formerly a Navy Nuclear Electrician Submariner. I do testing and commissioning on industrial electrical systems, (lots of windshield time).

I don't have any experience with real estate investments beyond buying my own home. I make good money doing what I do, but its not sustainable, nor do I want it to be...definitely not afraid of work, but pretty tired of 80 hour work weeks! I want to I don't have a lot of free time, but I know there has got to be a better way to grow my finances other than drawing a paycheck and putting it in savings.

I am looking build an investment portfolio that is capable of replacing my W-2 income in the next 10-15 years. I am smart and capable, and I work hard, so I know there has got to be a way for me to achieve this lofty goal. I hope to learn as much as I can, and am willing to help others to achieve my own goals!

1Reply
31 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 363 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    @Christian Abel   Welcome to the BPcomunity, before jumping to buy a property please spend some time reading books,  checking post and listening to the great podcast BP has it,  please feel free to ask anything  we all are here to help each other 

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the advice! I have been hitting the podcasts hard...all that time on the road is good for something. Also bought J Scott's books on flipping houses after listing to his podcast interview. Seems like they should be pretty good reads. Thanks for the welcome, Carlos!

  • Investor · Mobile, AL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    I am just getting back into real estate investing again and agree with Abel. I also recommend looking at what is available in your market and analyzing deals before taking the plunge. Preparation is key.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Christian Abel! This site is a great resource for getting things going in the investment world! 

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Yeah Kenny, you can't find your destination until you get well acquainted with the map! So you are getting back into real estate, are you familiar with any REIA groups in the area? I'm looking to do some networking and learn from those more experienced but I don't want to end up with some kindof marketing ploy, you know?

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2010 · 238 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    Hello Christian, welcome to BP and investing. I am in the Mobile AL area, let's get together over coffee one day!

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks Doug! I would love to. I am out of country for work this week, but will be returning next week and will be available.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.