New and aspiring investor based in San Jose, CA

New and aspiring investor based in San Jose, CA

Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes

Hey Everyone! My name is Sebastian Scott and I am new to the world of real estate investing and couldn't be more excited. I am originally from Los Angeles, CA but currently live in the greater San Jose area, working in the tech industry. I have been thinking about real estate investing for the past several years, but finally took action and I am ready to learn, grow, and succeed with buy and hold real estate investments in locations outside of the Bay Area. I joined BiggerPockets after reading the book "The Book On Rental Property Investing: How to create wealth and passive income through smart buy & hold real estate investing" by Brandon Turner. 

0Reply
15 views

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the community. Happy to. Rework and assist.

  • Wholesaler · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 472 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    Hi Sebastian,

    Stay on BP and you will learn lots. Join Meet Up.com and hopefully we will see each other soon.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Sebastian Scott Welcome to BP. This is an excellent forum to learn from. I was born and raised in San Jose myself. As I'm sure you've seen though, it's just too expensive to cash flow. Personally, I like Indianapolis and Kansas City. Not only do they cash flow well but they have strong economic and demographic fundamentals such as growing jobs and populations with diverse, modern economies. Feel free to reach out if I can be of any help.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Clovis, CA · Member since 2017 · 161 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Welcome Sebastian.....if there is any assistance you need or questions that you might have, please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Jeff Kemmer

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Sebastian Scott! I am a newbie, too. BP has an infinite pool of information and provides an endless web of connections. Keep learning and establishing relationships. Good luck!

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Sebastian Scott, sounds like you are doing pretty well with taking all the right steps. This site is great for networking and getting a ton of real estate information. Best of luck!

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jo-Ann Lapin thanks so much for the kind note. Looking forward to the journey and hopefully our paths cross down the road. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Cody Evans appreciate the vote of confidence and I plan to utilize all that BP has to offer to better myself and set myself up for success in regard to my future investments. I will definitely sign up for meetup.com and hopefully we will get a chance to meet soon. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Mike D'Arrigo thanks for the message. You are 100% correct that the Bay Area is very expensive and the ability to net a positive cash flow is difficult. I have done some preliminary research on both Indianapolis and Kansas City (one of my target areas is the midwest) and both present themselves as great cities for out of state investment opportunities. Would love to learn from you and your experience in both cities!  

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jeff Kemmer thanks for the note and appreciate your willingness to help. While I am new to the world of real estate investing, if I can ever be of help to you as well, please don't hesitate to contact me as well. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Victor Viyuoh thanks for the message and looking forward to starting this journey. Good to hear that other people like myself find BP to have an incredible amount of great information and connections. Appreciate the words of encouragement and will take your advice seriously. I am also from Los Angeles originally, would love to connect and learn more about your story and future plans

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Leslie Pappas thanks for the note and words of encouragement. I am spending a lot of time reading books, meeting folks, and spending time on BP, so I hope to be taking the right steps! Thanks and hopefully our paths will cross! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Sebastian Scott your days of the day job are numbered. I started with MidWest rentals and then I never looked back.
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Lane Kawaoka you are speaking music to my ears. Would love to connect and learn about your journey. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Morgan Hill, CA · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    @Sebastian Scott Welcome to Silicon Valley and our loony market my friend! I live in Morgan Hill - just south of you - and I spend a ton  of time in your area. I am actually looking out the window at the Moffett Federal Airfield as I write this.

    I would be happy to have investment related chats with you. I have been kicking around all kinds of ideas on what the smart move is in this area and maybe we can give each other some good ideas. I actually just came across an article that Stockton is supposed to be a hot 2018 place to invest. It sure is easier to get something done there than to pay the $1.2 million average home price in Sunnyvale!

    Cheers,
    Robert

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    8y

    @Sebastian Scott Hi and welcome to BP! It is a great place to hang out and learn at the beginning of your REI journey.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.