New Member/house hacker - Los Angeles CA

New Member/house hacker - Los Angeles CA

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes

Hello, my name is Michael and I am excited to get on the forum to start talking with people with real experience.  I am from the midwest originally but have been living in Los Angeles for the last 6 years in a loft down town in the arts district.  I recently had a financial event that allowed me purchase a duplex in Echo Park (near down town Los Angeles) and will be moving in after renovations hopefully in 2-3 months.  I spent a good 6 months researching and working with an agent to find this property but am still reasonably certain by most investor's standards it is far from being a great deal...  It is a top/bottom duplex with shared backyard and there is a bit of work to get it up to speed for renting that I am proceeding with now.  Luckily I have a friend who does design/build for restaurants to help at least guide me on the basic steps for the renovation so I am not flying entirely blind there.  

I do not know for certain what the full scope of my long range investing plans are but the tentative direction for this property are to hold, using the rental of one of the units to help me make the note on it, build equity and become familiar with the process of rentals to see if it is a fit for me in the longer term.  Assuming it's not one on going nightmare and I like the work the way I imagine I might, I have another financial event in 4 years that will leave me with a healthy chunk of of capital to make a bigger move.  I can foresee adding 2-3 properties between now and then (potentially more bringing in my design build friend as a partner) with the goal of moving more fully into this as a line of work with a focus on bringing hospitality to the rental industry.  When the event happens, scaling to the point of leaving the day job to managing a decent portfolio of buy hold rentals for consistent passive income.

My current line of work is in the coffee industry, managing and developing teams globally for a specialty coffee company and more or less living on the road as I help launch cafes from New York to Kyoto.  That on the road part will also work it's way into using my personal unit in the duplex as an Air BnB for extra cash flow as well (250 plus days a year of travel...)  

I'd love to meet up with any Angelenos to commiserate over how tragically expensive the market is and talk strategy.  As mentioned, I don't have much to offer in terms of real estate experience but I can certainly keep you in great coffee and humorous travel anecdotes for your time if that means anything.  It's good to be here and I look forward to joining in the conversation.

Best,

~Mp

2Reply
18 views

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Phillips:

    Hello, my name is Michael and I am excited to get on the forum to start talking with people with real experience.  I am from the midwest originally but have been living in Los Angeles for the last 6 years in a loft down town in the arts district.  I recently had a financial event that allowed me purchase a duplex in Echo Park (near down town Los Angeles) and will be moving in after renovations hopefully in 2-3 months.  I spent a good 6 months researching and working with an agent to find this property but am still reasonably certain by most investor's standards it is far from being a great deal...  It is a top/bottom duplex with shared backyard and there is a bit of work to get it up to speed for renting that I am proceeding with now.  Luckily I have a friend who does design/build for restaurants to help at least guide me on the basic steps for the renovation so I am not flying entirely blind there.  

    I do not know for certain what the full scope of my long range investing plans are but the tentative direction for this property are to hold, using the rental of one of the units to help me make the note on it, build equity and become familiar with the process of rentals to see if it is a fit for me in the longer term.  Assuming it's not one on going nightmare and I like the work the way I imagine I might, I have another financial event in 4 years that will leave me with a healthy chunk of of capital to make a bigger move.  I can foresee adding 2-3 properties between now and then (potentially more bringing in my design build friend as a partner) with the goal of moving more fully into this as a line of work with a focus on bringing hospitality to the rental industry.  When the event happens, scaling to the point of leaving the day job to managing a decent portfolio of buy hold rentals for consistent passive income.

    My current line of work is in the coffee industry, managing and developing teams globally for a specialty coffee company and more or less living on the road as I help launch cafes from New York to Kyoto.  That on the road part will also work it's way into using my personal unit in the duplex as an Air BnB for extra cash flow as well (250 plus days a year of travel...)  

    I'd love to meet up with any Angelenos to commiserate over how tragically expensive the market is and talk strategy.  As mentioned, I don't have much to offer in terms of real estate experience but I can certainly keep you in great coffee and humorous travel anecdotes for your time if that means anything.  It's good to be here and I look forward to joining in the conversation.

    Best,

    ~Mp

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Michael Phillips!  Glad to see other people making it happen in the L.A. market!

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    8y

    Hey Phillip! Congrats on you duplex! We are flipping 2219 Clinton in Echo Park! Would love to grab coffee sometime!

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    8y

    welcome and congrats on your purchase . Echo park and great and up and coming. You think about attending a local meet up and joining an investment club in la. Lloyd segal and the loves have investment clubs near lax.

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Phillips

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    Welcome Michael Phillips former Chicagoan here. Husband and I have been here a little over 8 years now. Always happy to chat! Best of luck with your endeavors!!!
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Logan Allec:

    Welcome, @Michael Phillips!  Glad to see other people making it happen in the L.A. market!

     The jury is still out on if I am making it happen yet or not but thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement :]

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Welcome Michael Phillips former Chicagoan here. Husband and I have been here a little over 8 years now. Always happy to chat! Best of luck with your endeavors!!!

     I spent 6 years in Chicago running training for Intelligentsia, loved that city. My company may be going there in 2019, I look forward to getting proper hot dogs again!  I am on the road for a bit but would love to catch up when i am back in LA!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jo-Ann Lapin:

    welcome and congrats on your purchase . Echo park and great and up and coming. You think about attending a local meet up and joining an investment club in la. Lloyd segal and the loves have investment clubs near lax.

     I am certainly looking to get to a meet up or two and start learning from those in the know in LA.  I signed up for one in South Pasadena in mid April by the FIBI group that is hosting Bruce Norris.  Will definitely look into your suggestion as well, thank you!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Friedman:

    Hey Phillip! Congrats on you duplex! We are flipping 2219 Clinton in Echo Park! Would love to grab coffee sometime!

     Glad to hear people are digging in on the neighborhood, my portion (Glendale Blvd and Alvarado) certainly has room to improve...  I'll reach out when I am back in LA, coffees on me

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Also, apologies for using the quote function in all of these replies, I cannot figure out how to reply to specific comments or @ people yet... 

  • Renter · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 278 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    Congratulations on finding a duplex in CA whether or not it's good deal, those properties are far and few between. CA is a completely different market than what is talked to on YouTube and many real estate forums. I was born and raised in CA but moved my new wife and small business out of SF when costs started rising. After a few years in Vegas we moved to Portland, OR and now Reno, NV. Over the past 10 years those three Western states have seen tremendous appreciation so make sure you can weather a downturn in values. More equity and renting seem to be the best tactics when real estate starts to drop again soon when buyers turn to renters due to the economy and rising interest rates...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Acheson:

    Congratulations on finding a duplex in CA whether or not it's good deal, those properties are far and few between. CA is a completely different market than what is talked to on YouTube and many real estate forums. I was born and raised in CA but moved my new wife and small business out of SF when costs started rising. After a few years in Vegas we moved to Portland, OR and now Reno, NV. Over the past 10 years those three Western states have seen tremendous appreciation so make sure you can weather a downturn in values. More equity and renting seem to be the best tactics when real estate starts to drop again soon when buyers turn to renters due to the economy and rising interest rates...

     Thanks John, that's what I had assumed but it is good to hear from others how much of an outlier CA is.  For the price I could have probably picked up 6 doors or more in Memphis or another appreciating market in the south east but out of state was just too big of a leap for my first purchase and I wanted to A. stop paying rent and B. be able to leverage air BnB for more cash on all of my travel in a way I could not with my previous rental due to lease restrictions.  Assuming rents don't fall through the floor or I loose my job and can't find something else for several months I should be able to weather most storms but anything is possible...  Hopefully you've made some gains in all of those states you're rolling through!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Love me some Intelligentsia coffee!  Such good stuff!

    Real estate aside, I'd be interested in chatting further about the coffee industry if you have a few moments.  Will shoot you a message.

  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Michael Phillips welcome and congrats on the place in Echo Park. Great hood. 

    I'm a flipper who's also getting into VRs. 

    We can link up in the city if you want, DM me. 

    All the best!

    sjw

  • Kuba F.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 694 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Michael Phillips

    The Pasadena FIBI is definitely one of the best meetings in town, always great and worth attending. 

    Cheers!

    Kuba

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.