San Antonio Texas real estate investor

San Antonio Texas real estate investor

Financial Advisor · Wimberley, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
Hi BP members, I just became a pro member. I live in Wimberley Texas and am looking to begin flipping houses in the North San Antonio area. I have 7 years experience in mortgage underwriting and have owned a couple rental properties is CA and Texas. So I’m definitely not new to real estate. But I haven’t done any flips. Does anyone know some good contractors to work with in San Antonio for renovating houses? I should also have my real estate license in a couple weeks. I’m only planning on using it for access to the MLS and to quickly be able to make offers. So I’m not needing a real estate agent.
0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Tax CPA · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 215 posts · 186 votes
8y

Hey @Brian Ziarnick welcome to BP! Hope the real estate license comes back a success!

Some resources I recommend: 

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113 – Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tax CPA · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 215 posts · 186 votes
    8y

    Hey @Brian Ziarnick welcome to BP! Hope the real estate license comes back a success!

    Some resources I recommend: 

    If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

    Podcasts

    Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

    Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

    Episode 113 – Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

    Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

    Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

    Amanda Han

    Brandon Hall

    Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

    Linda Weygant

    Guides

    Ultimate Beginners Guide

    Forum Stickies

    BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

    My Favorite Books

    I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

    The Millionaire Next Door

    The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

    Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Hey @Brian Ziarnick, 

    I gotta tell you, the real estate license is good for learning the process of real estate dealings, but it will not make you a better investor. Investing is NOT buying retail from MLS. The people who list properties are professionals, like yourself, who know market prices. They may lower properties a little if they need carpet or paint or little fixes, but not the bigger discounts that you need to do a flip.

    To get the bigger discounts you have to go directly to the source. Learn all you can about marketing. Target your sellers and market yourself to them. THAT is how you are going to find deals. I dont think you need a re license or a pro membership to find great deals.

  • Financial Advisor · Wimberley, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Thanks for the resources Josh!
  • Financial Advisor · Wimberley, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Hi Rick, thanks for the advice. My plan was to make a ton of offers on the MLS on houses in very bad shape, and only offering a price on what makes the numbers work. I’m sure my offers will all be well below the listing prices. I’m assuming I’ll need to put in around 50 offers before getting a deal. I’m also planning multiple other marketing strategies as well. The real estate license is something I’m getting to be able to make all these offers below listing price, it wouldn’t be worth an agents time if they did it for me. Also since I was an underwriter the RE license is a piece of cake for me. I already know 80% of the material, the only thing I need to really study are all the different real estate acts/laws. I realize a RE license isn’t needed, it’s just so easy for me to attain that it was a no brainer.
  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Hi Brian, feel free to shoot me a text or give me a call. I’m an Agent/Investor in San Antonio and I’d love to chat to see how we can help each other out. 

    Shoot me a DM to exchange contact info. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    One of the companies I work at is hosting the Marketplace for restaurants in San Antonio this weekend if you guys go hit me up! 2812500687!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.