Newbie from the Baltimore area

Newbie from the Baltimore area

Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
Hey guys and gals! My name is Danny Brown. My background consists of 10 years of residential construction and appliance repair. There's a good chance if you've needed your appliance for a Tennant fixed in the last 5 years then I've probably been the one to fix it. I've become absolutely obsessed with real estate investing recently. I listen to podcasts, read the forums and have been reading Brandon Turner's book "The Book on Rental Property investing. Any quick tips, books, articles, blogs etc you could send my way that would be great! Hope to hear from all of you!
0Reply
4 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 94 votes
8y

Welcome, Daniel! Sounds like you're way ahead of the game with your job skills - I wish I had half of those abilities to take care of our rental properties!

My top recommendation is always to plug into the podcast - it was a huge key to my success in those early phases. Since it sounds like you're already tuning in...I recommend connecting with a real estate agent that you trust who can help you identify opportunities in your desired neighborhoods. And if you haven't started talking to banks / lenders, that would be a good next step, as well. Understanding the lending process and variables will save you time and money once you locate the deal you want to close. 

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Brown

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
    8y
    @George Blower thanks George!
  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 94 votes
    8y

    Welcome, Daniel! Sounds like you're way ahead of the game with your job skills - I wish I had half of those abilities to take care of our rental properties!

    My top recommendation is always to plug into the podcast - it was a huge key to my success in those early phases. Since it sounds like you're already tuning in...I recommend connecting with a real estate agent that you trust who can help you identify opportunities in your desired neighborhoods. And if you haven't started talking to banks / lenders, that would be a good next step, as well. Understanding the lending process and variables will save you time and money once you locate the deal you want to close. 

    Best of luck!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Brown welcome to BP. There are a lot of active members here on BP from the baltimore area. I suggest getting out to some of the real estate investing groups in the area. You will often meet some of the same people you see here.

  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
    8y
    @Christina Jolam Thank you, Christina! Really appreciate the insight!
  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
    8y
    @Ned Carey Thank you, Ned! Is there anywhere I can look for those groups to find dates and times here on BP?
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Brown There is an Events and Happenings forum here on BP.

    Google REIA and Meetup to find local groups. BWI Meetup is one of the largest but MAREIA, and Baltimore REIA are also good groups. There are many other smaller groups.

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    8y

    Hi @Daniel Brown

    Welcome to BP, this is a great community, you can ask anything real estate related and you will find your answer. 

    Good Luck!!!

  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
    8y
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Daniel Brown

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.