I’m New Here: Any advice on a new business idea?

I’m New Here: Any advice on a new business idea?

Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone!

First time poster!

First of all, thank you for your time, I appreciate the community here and look forward to years of great learning.

Currently I work for a commercial HVAC company here in Southern California. I have been wanting to start my own company that leverages 2 of my strengths:

1. Connecting with people

2. Experience in the HVAC world

That being said, I was thinking about a company that seeks out building owners with a desire to connect them to solid building services companies: HVAC, roofing, energy retrofitters etc.

My questions to you are:

1. Would it provide value to you as a building owner to have a preexisting relationship with a company that can put you in the right hands when you have a need?

2. If it would provide value to you, what specific value would it provide: less time spent, better price based on my relationship with contractors, insurance that contractor won’t forfeit his relationship with me (his lead provider) by letting you down.. etc.

Thank you all in advance!

Joshua

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Hello! @Joshua Gillespie

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    7y

    Finding good GCs that are reputable, have all their licenses, and do what they say when they say it are what many investors look for. I’m not in your area but I would suggest think long term relationship rather than quick money. If you are honest and can perform, a single bigger investor can supply you all the work you could handle.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    you become an asset management company handling the major disciplines, one stop shopping.. I can see that will have a long lead time but should be a great business if you can get from here to there. 

  • Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Awesome,

    Thank you Ed and Jay.

    Functionally speaking, the #1 service I could give to investors is on the HVAC side.

    As far as first steps go: 

    1. Would you think that the HVAC side alone is enough to provide value to investors as a proof of concept?

    2. If you think I would need more core services before I can break through the value-given threshold for investors, which services do you think would be most valuable to go after first?

    Thanks again!

    -Joshua

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Joshua Gillespie

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Joshua Gillespie

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.