New Member With Big Dreams

8 Replies

Hey everyone. I’m Nick from Purvis, Mississippi and I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can about real estate investing.

I’m a full-time mechanical engineer and a Captain in the Mississippi Army National Guard. I’m currently a Company Commander of a combat engineer company and have been away from my family training for 3 months will an immediate follow on deployment to Kuwait for the last 8 months. One more month till I go home!

I’ve always been motivated and driven to succeed but only since January 2017 did I start to take action towards my goals. I’ve tried and failed at a number of different business ventures (got a closet full of fidget spinners I couldn’t sell as a reminder). I had no direction or real plan on how to achieve my goals.

Being deployed, especially as a Commander, taught me some valuable lessons. Mostly, I learned that no one cares. No one cares that you lack experience. No one cares that it’s hard. No one cares that you can’t be in 4 places at once. What matters is taking action and achieving the result. I learned that despite my lack of experience, consistently moving forward and small improvements each day can make a massive change in your life.

I had three goals when I took Command and brought my guys overseas.

1 – Bring everyone home alive.

2 – Save enough money to pay down my debts and bring my wife home from a 9-5 job.

3 – Figure out what my goals were and how to achieve them within 3-5 years.

Thus far, I’ve achieved all of those things (knock on wood, I still have one more month before all my guys are home). I have been lurking on around BiggerPockets for a while now but now I’m ready to take action. I look forward to moving forward and learning everything I can.

Thanks everyone.

-Nick

Hi Captain Davis,

I am also new, but i am a 21 year old federal worker in DC, nice to meet you. I dont have such serious goals as you (bringing people back alive) but i do want your 3rd goal as well. I look forward to learning with you!

First off thank you for your service. Everyone in this business will tell to just take action, I've even heard, just do it and learn along the way. You should familiarize yourself with the legalities in your state. You CAN learn along the way, that's how I did it.  Just make sure you don't get ahead of yourself. What ever you do, don't study so much without taking action or you'll find yourself where I was, Carlton Sheets called it paralysis of analysis, studying so much that you don't take action. Never give up on what's important in life. Good luck, you and your men come home safe.

Welcome to BP. Nice to see some fellow Mississippians on here. 

Listen to the podcasts and read posts and articles so you are familiar. Take in the mistakes and advice others offer and take action. You will never finish a race if you don’t take the first step. 

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the warm reception. I've avoided forums for years now due to the poor attitudes of senior members to new members. 

I hope the trend continues assuming my questions aren't too stupid.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you