Newbie from Statesville, North Carolina

Newbie from Statesville, North Carolina

Statesville, NC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 13 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Minuit Spence. I’m 29 years young and a father of five. I’m looking to start investing here in the near future. I’m still learning via forums and books that I’ve picked up such as “How to invest in real estate the Ultimate beginners guide to getting started” from biggerpockets. Funny story I bought that book before I even knew about the sight. Other books that I own are “Rich dad poor dad” my uncle gave me that one years ago and I just never knew how to apply it. Was in my early 20’s and just thought how am I supposed use this information so I just set it off to the side after reading it and it was a great book just I didn’t know how to implement what I had learned at that time in my life. I also purchased “Budgeting 101” to help me better get a handle on what money is going where and to start breaking down my old debts from school and credit cards. That book has been the most helpful in getting me out of my old habit of spending unnecessarily.

My goals as a investor is to have long term wealth that I can pass on to my kids when ever I’m gone. I want to start out doing a few wholesale deals to build the capital to buy my first single family rental property, then grow that steadily over the following years.

I’m currently working as a lube tech at Valvoline instant oil change. Working bout 40+hr/wk and just barely scraping by. It honestly sucks to have your paycheck spent before you even get it. Which makes it harder to do anything with my family. I try to budget as much as I can for family outings and little day trips to the beach when ever it’s possible but my ultimate goal is to have the financial freedom to do those things worry free.

I’m still learning all I can from podcasts and books and some websites such as BP and youtube. Everything from wholesaling techniques, marketing, making business plans and starting up a business and how to get the funding for my deals. Getting my ducks in a row so to speak. My biggest challenge was making the jump and I’ve always had that worry of “What if I fail?” then I came across this poster that said “FAIL stands for First Attempt In Learning” so with that in mind that’s what I’m gonna do, I don’t mean fail but learn from them. Learn what I need to do differently and how to make my business a success.

I look forward to working with all of you and willing to accept all the tips and tricks that any of you have to offer. 

Minuit Spence

1Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Minuit Spence

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Statesville, NC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko 

    Thanks for the links. I’m going to start using more of them. I currently listen to the BP podcast on Spotify. I’m currently on episode 12 I’ve learned a lot from all of them so far. 

  • Statesville, NC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko 

    Thanks for the links. I’m going to start using more of them. I currently listen to the BP podcast on Spotify. I’m currently on episode 12 I’ve learned a lot from all of them so far. 

  • Michael DrieverPro Member
    Investor · Menifee, CA · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP and working toward financial freedom. I wish you and your family the best in this venture.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.