Newbie, Military, Originally from Oregon-- Austen Carroll

Newbie, Military, Originally from Oregon-- Austen Carroll

Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes

Hello All!

The name is Austen but my friends call me Austen. I'm active duty military and I just moved to NC.

I read Kiyosaki's gem RDPD back in 2013 I got hooked on the idea of financial freedom. Fast forward a couple years, my wife and I purchase a single family rental in Salem 2016 (with a traditional loan, 20% down payment). Got a tenant and started getting a little taste of that passive income. Six months later was able to VA loan my second property (which I lived in). Two years after that (present 2019), moved to NC just closed on my third property using my second tier VA loan.

I feel very lucky to have been able to save and afford the assets I've acquired. I only wish I had learned about BP sooner to help me through all the decisions I had to make in the past. Some good some bad.

Nonetheless, discovered the podcasts, listened to them all 35 hrs driving across the country to NC and now I am here. I love being military, most likely will do a full 20 yrs then "retire." But I want that "retire" to be more of the FIRE "retire." Once I get out (active duty military), I would really like to not HAVE to work if I chose. So I joined BP to learn, share, plan, and prepare.

Thanks!

2Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
7y

Welcome to BP @Austen Carroll - this is a solid place to learn about a ton of different financing and deal sourcing options that can be used! Spend some time on the forums, reading the books, listening to the podcasts, and talking with other investors and you will pick up a ton. I am in a similar position - active duty with two rentals at the moment looking to grow! 

Good luck! 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP @Austen Carroll - this is a solid place to learn about a ton of different financing and deal sourcing options that can be used! Spend some time on the forums, reading the books, listening to the podcasts, and talking with other investors and you will pick up a ton. I am in a similar position - active duty with two rentals at the moment looking to grow! 

    Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sour Lake, TX · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 76 votes
    7y

    @Austen Carroll welcome to the community! Sounds like you've got a great plan and doing a military retirement you will have solved a major FIRE line item with healthcare.

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @David Kramer thanks. I look forward to it. I've been in for 9 years almost and had to move every couple of years. Now in NC, I think I can hold this station for close to 10 years. So I'm gonna educate, research, and maybe dive into a buy and flip deal. who knows

    @Lindsay Brake Honestly the healthcare part is DEFINATELY a huge reason why I'm gonna do the full career. Plus I love my job, so yep. healthcare, housing allowance.... I'm sold

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Hello Austen, 

    Welcome to BiggerPockets. Good job on your two deals. Good luck on your endeavors. 

    Sincerely,

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 550 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    @Austen Carroll love the motivation and thanks for serving. I'm currently at 17 years in the Navy and am definitely looking forward to that pension after 20; that's called passive income! Haha. I'd love to help in any way I can. As you start to network more, you'll find that there are quite a few folks in the military that also invest in real estate; many quite successful. Cheers! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    @Austen Carroll@David Kramerand @Stuart Grazier Thank you all for your service. I medically retired out of the Army after 14yrs as EOD. I only regret that I hadn’t discovered BP earlier while I had the mobility, BAH, and was still single. Nonetheless, I’m working on closing our 2nd rental and looking forward to many more.

    Austin, it sounds like you have a plan and are working it. Keep charging forward!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Stuart Grazier thanks man. Really looking forward to growing my "empire" of cash flow assets while in the military. Gotta figure out and iron my goals but I've got time to reap the benefits of BAH and what not while building up my net.

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Aaron Hale thanks dude. You EOD guys are awesome. Definitely helped me out in the past. Keep in touch brother.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hey Austen,

    Welcome to BP! What do you do in the military? I'm a Marine and I am also from Oregon, although I'm finishing a degree in Florida at the moment. Very cool about your first property, are you finding any issues with distance being in NC? Best of luck to you.

    - Aaron

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Aaron Brooks I'm in the Air Force.

    So far I haven't ran into any issues with my Salem prop. I also now have a rental prop in Las Vegas (was my primary residence until I moved) and just got tenants in that one.... So we'll see.

    I'll post on my page the details of the Vegas house when I get a min

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    7y

    @Austen Carroll welcome to the club brother! Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help. I'm all about military rei!

  • Real Estate Investor · York, PA · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    Welcome! Thanks for serving and I'm glad you discovered real estate while on Active Duty, get some!

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @David Pere thanks.

    Just read your bio. I have lots of questions I'm gonna DM you if you don't mind.

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Hunter Locke thanks dude. I'm really stoked for finding this resource!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Austen Carroll welcome, I just joined as well. Same boat, 9 years in but only 2 properties in looking for the third. Taking advantage of BAH is KEY. Just wished I would've did it earlier.

    If you're serious which I'm sure you are start an LLC grow your business credit and buy the homes from yourself and place under the company. Eventually you won't be able to continue and grow on just having them in your name or it won't be as advantageous.

    Feel free to connect and message. Best of luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @DARIOUS BYRD thanks for the advice. Definitely know I need to LLC just haven't done the homework yet. Got any good resources for me to learn more about how?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Yes, Nolo's Guide to Single Member LLC. Helped me tremendously and I was able to execute a quick turnaround through the state of MI.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.