New Investor Looking to Build Connections

New Investor Looking to Build Connections

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Family,

I am new to investing and I have been on Bigger Pockets for about a year now just educating myself and reading forums . I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I live in California and I am a full time registered Nurse. I have not made my first deal but I plan to in the next 3 months. I would love encouragement and advice on out of state investing and even partnerships.  I look forward to being involved more here on BP.  Thank you all for being so inspiring.

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan IngramBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 225 votes
7y

Dayton is a great market. I'm a bit biased because it is where I live and where all of my properties are...but I don't think you can beat the returns. 

Let me know if you have any questions about Dayton and I'd be more than happy to help!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Hi, @Monique Stewartand welcome! It’s great to hear you’re getting started. Any idea where you’d like to start looking? 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi @Aaron Hale

    I think my my best bet right now is the midwest market. I have been doing my research on cities such as Cleveland, Dayton, Milwaukee, Kansas City and parts of South Carolina.

  • Ryan IngramBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 225 votes
    7y

    Dayton is a great market. I'm a bit biased because it is where I live and where all of my properties are...but I don't think you can beat the returns. 

    Let me know if you have any questions about Dayton and I'd be more than happy to help!

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 161 votes
    7y

    Hi @Monique Stewart. Welcome to the world of REI. The midwest can be a great starting market. Once you narrow down a city, start networking specifically for that area through local forums. Even better, plan a trip out to see the city, its neighborhoods, and maybe go to a local REI meetup. Most cities have them. You'll want to find a good property management company and a good realtor or wholesaler to get started. Im in the Milwaukee and Chicago and Twin Cities markets, so feel free to connect if you want to talk about any of those.

  • Property Manager · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 144 votes
    7y

    Welcome @Monique Stewart!  

    The midwest definitely has a lot going for it these days, and similar to Ryan above I'm a bit biased as I'm in Milwaukee. If your plan is to become an OOSI (out of state investor) I highly recommend the local meetups. You can get a TON of information from local REIA, association or less formal groups (in Milwaukee we have the Brew City REI Group).

    Your team, particularly your property manager, is muy importante.  BUT, I would encourage you to do as much research as you can including visiting the city and driving through some of the neighborhoods that your numbers seem to be pointing you to prior to spending a bunch of time talking to PM's.  This time of year PM's are extremely busy, and they get a ton of calls from OOSI like yourself looking to dabble in a market.  It's much easier to take an OOSI seriously when they have already done some research and spent some money to come visit the city they may invest in.  

    Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Monique Stewart:

    Hello BP Family,

    I am new to investing and I have been on Bigger Pockets for about a year now just educating myself and reading forums . I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I live in California and I am a full time registered Nurse. I have not made my first deal but I plan to in the next 3 months. I would love encouragement and advice on out of state investing and even partnerships.  I look forward to being involved more here on BP.  Thank you all for being so inspiring.

     Welcome to the site Monique. A must read for any investor thinking about Cleveland is The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. Many investors, especially those from California are often shocked by the low price points in Cleveland that they fail to properly analyze the level of risk in a given neighborhood. The Ultimate Guide should help with that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    7y

    @Monique Stewart exciting times! 

    My best advice is to develop a system for running numbers and then just compare numbers in each market. I love property tracker, it's super simple. I'm happy to help explain how to use that if you go for it. I know there are free tools on BP, but I just think property tracker is super simple. 

    Of course vetting your team is super important, but what sense does it make to fall in love with a team in Ohio and then find out that 3% taxes steal most of your cash flow for each deal! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton Ohio · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    Welcome, Dayton Ohio is a great location!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Monique Stewart


    Welcome to the BP family and congrats on taking the first step toward financial freedom! It looks to me that you have done great research this far, keep it up! I am active in Kansas City, MO and would be happy to help if you have any questions.

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Monique Stewart welcome and congrats on taking the jump. There are lots of opportunities still in Midwest markets. I think the most common thing I see is the assumption of risk and ROI...folks love to see high ROI on paper, but it comes with risk. The most successful out of state investors in our market have firm criteria, reasonable expectations, and are prepared to pull the trigger when something good pops up. I've seen guys scale at a property a month, and others stumble for over a year before committing to an offer.

    If you land in the Central Ohio market, I'd be glad to talk shop. Or I'm in SoCal as frequently as possible if you're in that neck of the woods ;) 

    Best of luck 

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Investor · Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Hello, @Monique Stewart, I am also from California, now a Missouri Realtor.  

    I've been with Keller Williams (CA/MO) since 2012. I work mostly with investors, my two biggest ones being from CA. They each have picked up 5+ SFR for flipping and rental portfolios just last year, with my help.

    KC is a hot market. Let me know if I can be of service and answer any of your questions.  Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    Hi @Monique Stewart, I live in Hawaii but invest in Cleveland.  You have made a great first step by reaching out to others and making connections.  All the best.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Monique Stewart of all the markets that you mentioned, personally, I think Kansas City has the best combination of cash flow and strong economic and demographic trends. We've been very active in KC for several years and have had a lot of success. Feel free to contact me if you want any advice or help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.