Newbie to real estate investing

Newbie to real estate investing

Investor · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 10 votes

Optimistic future investor currently in a self education phase. I don’t have any real estate investments other than my current home and personal time. I have always had thoughts about real estate investing but always made excuses on why not to. I have finally decided to change that mindset and have begun steps to complete my goals. I have read several books, listened to biggerpockets podcast, read blogs, and am looking to gain knowledge and experience before I move forward.

Ever since purchasing my current home earlier this year, I have become hooked on the process and the thrill of successfully purchasing a home. I experienced a good amount in that deal and know there is so much more to learn!

I am looking to purchase my first SFR early 2020 out of state. I have been looking into North Carolina, Texas, Ohio, and Indiana. Not quite sure exactly where of those places but with education that will come. My goal is to obtain $5,000+ passive income within 5 years. I think this is doable and I am willing to put in the hard work and dedication.

On the personal side, I am married with a newborn son living in Camarillo, CA. I have spent 10 years in the United States Army Reserve as a Military Police Officer and work for a local law enforcement agency on the civilian side. I want to maintain my careers and grow a real estate investing business on the side so my wife can retire.

On my free time, when I’m not obsessing over investing and podcasts, I enjoy learning about and drinking whiskey, watching football, exercising, and spending time with my family. I also enjoy reading fiction military novels such as Galaxys Edge (I just finished the first book, amazing!).

If you have any questions or would like to get together to network please reach out, I always enjoy good conversation with a side of whiskey! I am a total open book to anyone and if there is anyway I can help, I will do my best! I look forward to getting to know the BiggerPockets community.

2Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
6y

@Jerrett Wilson Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Congrats on newborn. Good luck!!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    6y

    @Jerrett Wilson Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Congrats on newborn. Good luck!!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Jerrett Wilson Welcome to the community. REI is a great way to build passive income!

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 218 posts · 134 votes
    6y

    @Jerrett Wilson Welcome to BP! There are a lot of good people here who are willing to help. I invest in Columbus Ohio. I have no experience with out of state investing but if you are interested in just talking shop, I am always happy to jump on a call.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Welcome to BP. I thought the same as you  for years. I didn't think it was within my financial ability to buy real estate. I educated myself and started to find the opportunities that would work for me. 
  • Investor · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Anthoney Hanks thank you! 

  • Investor · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    6y
    @Remington Lyman I appreciate it. Yes, I am understanding REI is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to learn more and get started. @Joshua Hively Thank you! I actually would love to shoot the breeze about investing in Columbus, OH. Hopefully we can make that happen! @Ned Carey I'm elated to hear that I am not to only one! Thank you!
  • Kingsland, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 86 votes
    6y

    @Jerrett Wilson, welcome to BiggerPockets! Best of luck with your journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.